Oily Euro Ammo?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

mr alexander

Oily Euro Ammo?

Post by mr alexander »

For years I've used CCI SV (#0032/#0035) in my HS Victor. Decades ago, I was told by the old timers to put 1 drop of gun oil on the top round of each loaded 5 shot magazine just prior to loading/firing the pistol. They said this would improve feeding as well as functioning by keeping all shooting residue soft. I continue to follow this practice today. For the first time ever, I decided to try some .22 Euro ammo (Eley, Wolf, SK Jagd). I dump 30 rounds into my right hand and load 6 magazines. Before picking up my pistol, I notice that my hand is all slippery from oil; this is the last thing I want before shooting! Apparently, every round of the Euro stuff is entirely covered with wet lube! Would there be anything wrong with wiping this lube off of the cartridge with a towel before going to the range? Would I get leading in the barrel as a result? I would continue to place 1 drop of gun oil on the top round of each magazine as was done before when using the much drier CCI SV. Please comment, thanks!
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I doubt that you will get leading but you might get malfunctions. Try it because there isn't much you can lose.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I believe the lube on the lead bullet of the WQolf ammo is much softer than that bused by CCIO. It melts at a lower temp and thus you get oil omn your hand. I only pick up one round at a time when loading the Wolf ammo and have not had a problem.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

I am told that the oil on the European cartridges is a one of their Health & Safety things, intended to minimize skin contact with lead, and not as a lubricant. Having said that, I think it probably does improve feeding with fussy guns.
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

I shoot Wolf MT out of my Marvel but had run thousands of rounds of CCI SV before making the switch. Out of this particular gun I've noticed no leading. I do keep a rag handy that is used to wipe fingers dry after handling the greasy rounds though.
I have a question for you, do you put that drop of oil on the bullet or the casing?
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I have seen people do it both ways. During the winter a lot of people take 2 drops of oil and a 50 round box and roll them in their hands for a few minutes and put them back in the box with a mark on them so they know they are processed.
Others will put a drop before a TF or RF sequence on the lead bullet on the top round. This was standard fare while using older High Standards in the winter. Sometimes it was done every 5 rounds and sometimes every other 5 or whatever worked for them. It makes the gun get dirtier faster but if that is what it takes to work, I see no problem.
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

I've also put oil on the bullet up to having several squib rounds. Since we're trying to keep oil in the chamber I just add it to the case right behind the bullet. I also noticed that I get less fliers by not having oil on the bullet. Just food for thought.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

In my experience, if I apply the oil to the bullet as well as the cartridge case, I feel noticeably more recoil with that (first) shot compared to the others. I'm sure the oil produces additional resistance to the bullet moving down the barrel. Now, this may actually help some guns to cycle the action with standard velocity ammunition, I suppose. If you only apply the oil to the cartridge case, (again in my experience) it cleans the chamber and seems to aid in extraction.

I don't think it's necessary to oil the bullet.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

The reason people put the oil on the bullet itself is because the alibis were being caused by the thick waxy lube on the bullet itself. Cases are always the right size and typically if a person thought that the chamber was too tight they would get what is called an oversize chamber reamer. Most notebly, Model 41's were in that catagory and back in the 60's new 41's got their chambers reamed by the AMU before they were handed out to be shot.