Best 22 ammo ??

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rstriano

Best 22 ammo ??

Post by rstriano »

What is the best 22 Ammo? Lpua works best in my Walther 32 so i am thinking of going Lapua in my Walther 22 also.

Any advice from experience?

Thanks guys

Richie
GOVTMODEL

Best .22 LR Ammunition

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Having been to the Eley Customer Range, where I tested seventeen (17) lots of TENEX in three (3) different Hammerli pistols, I made several observations.

1. Every lot tested easily grouped 1.25 inches or less at 50 meters. This was the average of four (4) ten-shot groups from each lot.

2. There was no correlation pistol to pistol. How a lot performed in one pistol gave no indication of how it performed in a different pistol.

3. For each pistol, the variation of best to worst group was large, i.e., the worst performing lot of ammunition made a group about twice the size of the best performing lot.

So, I will say two things with confidence-

1. With a premium product like TENEX in a good pistol, if you shoot a 9, it's not the fault of the pistol or the ammunition.

2. If you are a pistol shooter and don't have the resources to batch test ammunition, don't worry about it.
rstriano

batch testing

Post by rstriano »

Just bought 500 Tenex and 500 Lapua to test.

I hear about batch testing. I have a question? If is get a batch that shoots great, how do i go back and buy more of that lot #?

GOVTMODEL you can flat out shoot!!

Thanks

Richie
GOVTMODEL

Batch Testing

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I'd check with the distributor/importer before testing. If they don't have at least a case of each lot you're testing, don't bother with that lot. Zanders (the U.S. Eley importer) tracks their inventory by lot and they can tell how much of a particular lot is in stock. They are set up to ship ammunition from a particular lot.

For Lapua you'll have to check with their importer.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

The AMU said they once ran a test on 22 ammo. They found that on any given day, one ammo worked best in one particular rimfire pistol. The only problem was that there didn't seem to be a predictable pattern as to which ammo and which gun combination was best, and it changed from day to day.
I have one friend who is a high master. He shoots CCI SV ALL OF THE TIME In fact, that is what he was using when he won the 22 slow fire match at Camp Perry. He is not a supported shooter so no one is handing him free boxes of TEN-X or Pistol King.
I tend to use CCI SV in practice and league. I like Wolf Match Target for matches. Both will hold the x ring at 50 yards and that is really all I care about. Bullseye is not bench rest. I pick the Wolf Match Target over the CCI SV for matches primarily because of less wax and more reliable functioning.
NDbullseye

Post by NDbullseye »

I personally use Eley Tenex for 50yds and CCI Std Velocity for 25yds. The only reason I use Tenex for 50 is because I was given 2 cases by my uncle when he passed away. I did a group test at 50yds and the only difference was that the Tenex shot a 0.99" group and the CCI was 1.1" which both are well with in the x-ring at 50. It may be piece of mind shooting more expensive ammo and believing that it will be more consistent than cheaper stuff. I haven't had one issue with CCI being inconsistent or having duds. Each to there own thou.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

NDbullseye wrote:I personally use Eley Tenex for 50yds and CCI Std Velocity for 25yds. The only reason I use Tenex for 50 is because I was given 2 cases by my uncle when he passed away. I did a group test at 50yds and the only difference was that the Tenex shot a 0.99" group and the CCI was 1.1" which both are well with in the x-ring at 50. It may be piece of mind shooting more expensive ammo and believing that it will be more consistent than cheaper stuff. I haven't had one issue with CCI being inconsistent or having duds. Each to there own thou.
And if you have it, why not use it? It is doing you no good sitting there in the box. I have been tempted to use Eley Tenex myself at the 50. Why? Because it punches a nice clean little hole, and if anyone were to crossfire on my target who was not using it, I could pick out the shot.
However, that is a small reason, and not a good enough one for me to spend the money. I have a case of Pistol King I should probably sell. It will take me more than 30 years worth of free pistol matches to use it up. :-)
tuj

Post by tuj »

Isabel1130 wrote: I tend to use CCI SV in practice and league. I like Wolf Match Target for matches. Both will hold the x ring at 50 yards and that is really all I care about. Bullseye is not bench rest. I pick the Wolf Match Target over the CCI SV for matches primarily because of less wax and more reliable functioning.
I use Eley Sport or Wolf Match Target for practice. I have moved away from CCI Std Vel although it wasn't bad. I can't say Wolf has less wax! But I was using Eley Pistol Match Black in competition and it caused big problems for me in my last competition in terms of cycling the gun. No idea exactly why, but the spent case wouldn't eject. Not a stovepipe, the spent case was fully in the chamber. Its like it didn't have enough bang to cycle the gun. So I will be avoiding Eley Pistol Match Black from now on. I've also heard that it can build up a residue on the rounds over time.

So Wolf MT and Eley Sport for me.