New Bullseye shooter and questions on grip (technique)

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Ben Diss

New Bullseye shooter and questions on grip (technique)

Post by Ben Diss »

I just started shooting in a winter revolver league. I'm shooting a 6" Python and I've struggled with grip. I know the favored gun is a model 14, but I don't have one and I do have the (shooter grade) Python, so here I am.

Problem is that the natural grip position with the stock and Hogue replacement grips places my hand so high it's hard to get a clean break without pulling the gun up. I bought and installed some Nill grips and shot a bit last night with them. They're much better. It's easy to get the same grip position each time I pick up the gun.

After some shooting, I found a grip technique that seemed to work. I want to make sure I'm not learning a bad habit, so I want to ask for some feedback. I found that by pressing my thumb in against the side of the grip and gently squeezing against the inside of my hand, my wobble almost disappeared and I could get a clean trigger break without moving the sights off target. My best 10 shot slow-fire target of the night was 3x 4-10 and 3-9. Never was able to do better than having a couple on the 8's before.

Is this OK or will it hurt me later?
jackh

Post by jackh »

If you mean the thumb press is sideways into the gun, that is not too cool. Unless totally consistent, and not too hard.
Try pressing the thumb forward. Press the back strap just as much as the middle and ring fingers press the forestrap. And put a little forearm into it to firm the wrist.
Ben Diss

Post by Ben Diss »

jackh wrote:If you mean the thumb press is sideways into the gun, that is not too cool. Unless totally consistent, and not too hard.
Try pressing the thumb forward. Press the back strap just as much as the middle and ring fingers press the forestrap. And put a little forearm into it to firm the wrist.
OK, thanks. That's what I wanted to know. I'll try that.
crankythunder

dear ben

Post by crankythunder »

try squeezing from the front to the back of the grip with your fingers. no side pressure. all force in a line front to back in line with the barrel.

Regards,
Cranky
Ben Diss

Re: dear ben

Post by Ben Diss »

crankythunder wrote:try squeezing from the front to the back of the grip with your fingers. no side pressure. all force in a line front to back in line with the barrel.

Regards,
Cranky
Hmm... What do you do with your thumb? I thought I was to press down?
Isabel1130

grip

Post by Isabel1130 »

Ben Diss wrote:
crankythunder wrote:try squeezing from the front to the back of the grip with your fingers. no side pressure. all force in a line front to back in line with the barrel.

Regards,
Cranky
Hmm... What do you do with your thumb? I thought I was to press down?
  • In my opinion what you do with your thumb is immaterial as long as you do the same thing with it for every shot.

Squeezing from the front to the back with no side pressure is what works the best for me.
    I hate to say it but that is one of the reasons that I hate revolvers. It is too hard to get a consistent grip as the revolver lacks a point of reference such as a beaver tail which will allow you with practice to learn to make your grip the same every time. I suspect that this is one of the reasons, other than thumb cocking, that most bullseye shooters shot semi autos.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Ben Diss;

Welcome to the forum.

A couple years ago I picked up a 6" Python just for the distinguished revolver matches.
She was a thing of beauty and earned my distinguished badge with her.

I have kind of large hands.
All of my revolvers wear large Pachmayr Presentation grips.
I like them cause they are wide and fit better than a finger grooved grip which are a bit thinner in general.
(with autos, I like the finger grooves, dont know why, but they work better for me).

As far as the thumb goes.
When shooting one handed, my thumb is pointing almost straight up, no pressure what soever on the grip.
My pinky finger is just sitting on the grip, no pressure.
Middle and ring finger squeeze/ pull backward into the palm to hold the gun.

I chose the Python for its great double action trigger.
So that is how I shot her, double action for timed and rapid fire.

Never could get used to thumbing a revolver and be quick and accurate with it.

Practice different things and you will find what works for you.
Just remember that we are all different and what works for one may be totally horrible for another.

Good luck;

Clarence Perkins
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

C. Perkins wrote:Ben Diss;
Practice different things and you will find what works for you.
Just remember that we are all different and what works for one may be totally horrible for another.
This is the best advice, second only to
C. Perkins wrote:Good luck;
jackh

Post by jackh »

["]After some shooting, I found a grip technique that seemed to work.[/"]

Define "work".....

Keep in mind that grip, posture, technique, give a result, or goal*. Don't lose track of the goal in the details.

*Stability, alignment, placement, comfort, control
Ben Diss

Post by Ben Diss »

jackh wrote:["]After some shooting, I found a grip technique that seemed to work.[/"]

Define "work".....

Keep in mind that grip, posture, technique, give a result, or goal*. Don't lose track of the goal in the details.

*Stability, alignment, placement, comfort, control
What I mean is that it's not completely inconsistent. For example, tonight I shot rimfire with a S&W 41 (standard grips) and shot a 272. An alibi cost me 10 pts. I know I should be happy with that, but I'm still throwing a few 5's so I know there's some low hanging fruit yet in terms of problem solving.

I do appreciate everyone's comments here. I tried practicing with my thumb up but that didn't work so well for me.
tuj

Post by tuj »

I am not an expert shooter, but one of the things I have found constant in all advice is the goal of achieving consistency. This means trying to have the exact same grip for every shot. The more components of your grip there are (ie. thumb pressure), the more factors you can screw up. I believe for this reason that most bullseye books instruct to keep a 'neutral' thumb position, relaxed and not tensioned on the grip. You are already trying to get a consistent grip with your fingers, a consistent stance, and a consistent trigger pull, so why add thumb pressure if you can avoid it?

I believe it is important to experiment with different things, but ultimately keep in mind that consistency is the name of the game.
Ben Diss

Post by Ben Diss »

tuj wrote:I am not an expert shooter, but one of the things I have found constant in all advice is the goal of achieving consistency. This means trying to have the exact same grip for every shot. The more components of your grip there are (ie. thumb pressure), the more factors you can screw up. I believe for this reason that most bullseye books instruct to keep a 'neutral' thumb position, relaxed and not tensioned on the grip. You are already trying to get a consistent grip with your fingers, a consistent stance, and a consistent trigger pull, so why add thumb pressure if you can avoid it?

I believe it is important to experiment with different things, but ultimately keep in mind that consistency is the name of the game.
Sounds like I need to read one of these books. I'll bet it would clear up quite a bit for me.
penman53

Revolver

Post by penman53 »

Try the Packmyer (SP) grips. I changed out my Houge grips last Saturday with the Packs and what a difference Mon my model 14.

Mark