Hard Ball or Wad Gun

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Mass Shooter

Hard Ball or Wad Gun

Post by Mass Shooter »

Pardon my unfamiliarity with "centerfire" bullseye pistols but can someone clarify the difference between a "Wad" gun & Hard Ball gun?

I presume a "wad' is for wad cutter ammo only? .... just taking a guess here.
GOVTMODEL

Colloquialisms

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Generally speaking, a "wadgun" is a pistol that conforms to NRA Conventional Pistol Rule 3.3-
3.3 Any .45 Caliber Semi-automatic Pistol or Revolver - Any .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol or revolver; barrel length, including cylinders, not more than 10 inches, trigger pull for revolvers not less than 2 1/2 points, .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol trigger pull not less than 3 1/2 pounds. Any sights, including telescopic, are permitted with the exception of those sights that project an image on the target. Open sights may be adjustable but not over 10 inches apart measured from the apex of the rear sight to the apex of the front sight. Any sighting device programmed to activate the firing mechanism is prohibited. All standard safety features of guns must operate properly.

A "hardball" gun conforms to CMP Rule 6.6-
6.6.1 U.S. Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911 or M1911A1
The pistol must be a pistol that was issued by the U.S. Armed Forces or a commercial pistol of the same type and caliber. The pistol must also comply with the following specific requirements.
(1) The stock must not cover the mainspring housing or prevent holstering
in the standard service holster. The stock must not be more than 1.300”
wide between right and left extremities.
(2) Barrel length may not exceed 5.100.”
(3) The trigger may be extended, adjustable and vented.
(4) The mainspring housing may be straight or arched, checkered or stippled. The mainspring housing may not be covered with any material.
(5) The slide may have the curved “relief cut” (Gold Cup dimple) at the rear of the ejection port.
(6) The ejection port may be lowered to aid in ejection.
(7) A flat surface may be milled immediately in front of and behind the dovetail to aid in securely mounting adjustable rear sights.
(8) A cut may be made at the extreme rear of the slide to allow for rear sight clearance and vertical movement. The original dovetail slot may be milled off and a new dovetail cut.
(9) The distance between sights, measured from the apex of the front sight to the rear face of the rear sight, must not be more than 7.25”.
(10) All pistol hammers must have a functioning captive half-cock notch that prevents the hammer from falling when the trigger is pulled in the halfcock position or be a series 80-type pistol with a series 80 hammer and fully functional fi ring pin block or have a series 80-type hammer with a half-cock shelf that does not allow the hammer to fall more than .090”.
6.6.2 U.S. Pistol, 9mm, M9 or M9A1
The pistol must be a pistol that was issued by the U.S. Armed Forces or a commercial pistol of the same type and caliber. The pistol must also comply with the following specific requirements.
(1) The pistol may have either a standard M9/M9A1 slide (with accessory rail built into the receiver in front of the trigger guard) or the M92FS–type slide or a non-standard (i.e. Brigadier) slide.
(2) Barrel length of no less than 4.9” or longer than 5.0.”
(3) Overall length of no less than 8.52” or longer than 8.62.”
(4) A specially designed barrel may be used, providing it does not measure more than .700 inch outside diameter and meets the length measurements of the issued barrel. This barrel dimension may be achieved with the use of a larger barrel or a sleeve fi tted to the end of the barrel. Threading the barrel to fit the sleeve is permitted.
(5) The distance between sights, measured from the apex of the front sight to the rear face of the rear sight, must not be more than 7.5 inches.
(6) The stock must not be more than 1.500” wide between left and right extremities.
(7) The trigger may be extended, adjustable and vented.
(8) The fore strap and rear of the grip may be covered with a non-slip adhesive tape, but the tape may not be continuously wrapped around the grip.
(9) The double action capability of the firing mechanism must be operable.
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Ok, that definitely answers my question. ... Thanks!
penman53

wad gun hard ball gun

Post by penman53 »

But please note, I have a wad gun that I normally shoot in bullseye but, my hard ball gun (a caspian) shoots lead bullets just fine and I shoot it in Bullseye matches when I am prepping for an EIC.