Question about foresight element size

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jenni

Question about foresight element size

Post by Jenni »

Hey all,

1) I've read on previous threads that generally a big front aperture is better than a small one. Especially in standing position.

2) I've also read that a (thin silver ring) around the bull may cause a fuzzy vision.

I used to shoot with an aperture size similar to figure B (I didn't know the exact size then). About a week ago I tried 4.2 which looked more like figure A. So I got a bit confused between point (1) & (2). Should a 4.2 aperture look like figure A?

I shoot 8's occasionally - once or twice on some training sessions - but I'm willing to eliminate them. so I tried changing the front aperture size, I thought I might save some aiming time too. For me the sight picture looked better & the element looked like a thin white ring.

I'm not sure if its a good decision yet. I do realize that rifle adjustments are set according to each shooters preferences. But I would really appreciate your suggestions regarding the aperture size.

Jenni
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Jeni;

Exact sizes depend on the sight radius, so one rifle may take sized aperture to get the same "look".

Example B in your post is the more desired "look". Example a can cause problems due to light coming through the aperture washing out the edges of the bull. (There are more technical descriptions, but that is what it amounts to).

You might try your old aperture for standing, and a "slightly smaller one for prone and kneeling, but it will probably take at least 500 rounds to be sure you are miking any difference.

When in doubt, err to the larger size.
Jenni

Post by Jenni »

You might try your old aperture for standing, and a "slightly smaller one for prone and kneeling, but it will probably take at least 500 rounds to be sure you are miking any difference.

When in doubt, err to the larger size.
Pat McCoy

Thanks for the reply.

I kind of like the new aperture cause the bull seems clearer, but I don't want to take any risks so I'll go with your advice and try a larger aperture - I think somewhere between my old & new aperture.

Jenni
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Jenni,

What else have you considered in trying to eliminate the eights? If you only have one or two eights in a training session, why was your decision to make an aperture change? What is your "mindset" during the shot? Do you have words running through your mind, or a picture of what you want to happen.
Jenni

Post by Jenni »

Pat McCoy wrote:Jenni,

What else have you considered in trying to eliminate the eights? If you only have one or two eights in a training session, why was your decision to make an aperture change?

Well, I've always had a "Double vision" problem which increases when I aim on the target for longer than 3-4 seconds trying to make sure the bull is in the middle of the aperture (Vision gets worse after 25-30 shots) . So even though I'm stable I don't always have the right sight picture. I do wear contacts but that doesn't seem to solve the vision problem.

By changing the aperture size I thought I might have a better sight picture and less aiming time. Which may lead to more 10's , better 9's & no 8's.
What is your "mindset" during the shot? Do you have words running through your mind, or a picture of what you want to happen.
"Pull the trigger ..! Pull the trigger..!!" runs through my mind mostly, I think I just fear loosing a good sight picture.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Jenni,

you might try a "blinder" made from a piece of plastic water or milk jug attached to your rear sight.

Instead of "pull the trigger" try a "picture" in your mind of either the perfect sight picture you wish to see or the pellet going through the ten dot. Your unconscious mind will set the trigger off when it sees what you are picturing. The poor shots usually come from making the gun go off instead of letting it go off.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

A couple of observations; Picture B is closer to what I'd suggest is ideal but I'd try even bigger. You really want quite a lot of white around the bull. It's one of those things you'll need to try and try properly for a few sessions to properly evaluate it. Consider an adjustable foresight aperture if you don't have one already - you can just twiddle between settings. You will likely also find you prefer different settings in different positions.

I would also suggest you try shooting glasses rather than contacts. One problem with not having shooting lenses is that you focus on the target rather than the foresight element. You can do that without shooting glasses (or rather without the right prescription in them) but it will be hard work, it will induce strain and you will only be able to focus for a short while.

Rob.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Jenni

Some good advice from every one, you should also consider a fore sight element with a thicker ring. As Rob said an adjustable fore sight is good for getting the right sight picture and this might vary from one shooting position to another. Some models also have ring thickening adjustment although these are very expensive but in my view very helpful.

The thicker the ring, the less chance it will grey out and distort from 'round'. I used to use a 1.2-mm ring thickness, but as I got older it never stayed round or clearly defined even with my shooting glasses, so I now use a 1.8-mm ring thickness and it works for me.

Experimentation is the only way you can arrive at a good solution.

JSB
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Jenni,

Just from your description of the front sight "double vision", you may also have the rear iris open way too much. I've seen this on many newer shooters that don't know how to adjust their rear sight iris. "Normally" the setting is around 1.1mm. Depending on lighting on your target, and your eyes, that might range from 0.9mm to 1.3mm. If you have an adjustable rear iris, close it completely and while looking through the sights at your target, slowly open it until the front sight is crisp and clear.

As stated before, Example B is closer to "normal", and a thicker front sight aperture ring can help too.

Eric U