Any solid reviews on the Walther KK300 Alutec Target Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

AusTarget

Any solid reviews on the Walther KK300 Alutec Target Rifle

Post by AusTarget »

Hi all,

As the title implies, has anyone stumbled upon a review on the Walther KK300 Alutec Target Rifle? Or for that matter used it themselves? Just with prices in mind im aiming for a FWB2700 but if I cant, then I'll go for the Walther.

All help is greatly appreciated :)
Jknight515

Re: Any solid reviews on the Walther KK300 Alutec Target Rif

Post by Jknight515 »

FWB2700 Lover wrote:Hi all,

As the title implies, has anyone stumbled upon a review on the Walther KK300 Alutec Target Rifle? Or for that matter used it themselves? Just with prices in mind im aiming for a FWB2700 but if I cant, then I'll go for the Walther.

All help is greatly appreciated :)
I own a KK200 with the machined aluminum stock and love it. Have not had any issues at all. A very solid rifle.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Why the do you want the FWB? Just curious.

I have a ANS 2013/500mm barrel in a MEC stock. I like it, but I think I would like walther better. The Walther action is a bit closer to the shooter, and some people think their barrels are better than FWB and ANS.
Matt
TennJay

Post by TennJay »

I bought a used left handed one about 3 years ago and I love it. I am unable to lift my left arm due to injury, but I can still load in the prone position without too much movement. The trigger is very predictable and easily adjusted.

I have broken a firing pin and bought the rifle with a broken rear sight (it fell off of a table). I am not sure, but I may have put the bolt together incorrectly and caused the the firing pin problem. In either case I had parts within 2 days from Champions Choice.

I would buy another given a chance.

Jay
pettzi

Post by pettzi »

have shot one from a friend,although i have anschütz i was very impressed by trigger. i dont think you could go wrong with it or feinwerkbau or for that matter tanner,bleiker,männel or grunig elmiger.they are all constructed for the same purpose.the stock is in my opinon the real difference and in that its down to taste.
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

Hey thanks all for that, yes ive been hearing wonders about the Walther trigger, which is quite frankly desperately what I need... a good trigger.

The reason I want the FWB is because ever since I started shooting I've been borrowing a FWB2700 that was given to me, Its done me proud even though its worn and old and I even took it to shoot at State level.

But the Walther does seem like a good choice, for me I wouldnt mind a larger stock, the small stock of the FWB does become quite a small pain after a while.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

My favorite rifle that I have ever handled is the Walther Anatomic. It just seems to fit me perfectly.
That being said, I really HATE the feel of the 2700/700. It just does not fit me at all. But that's just me.

You should go with what feels good.
Matt
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Both my wife and I have new KK300 alutecs bought this year, fabulous rifles.
I would recomend to specify the "old 90's" style butt unit which is available from Walther rather than the MEC which it comes with as standard, its simpler, more solid and is just right, its the unit used by most top level KK300 shooters.
My wife at 61 is shooting 590+ with hers and loves the rifle.
Good shooting
Robin
EJ

Post by EJ »

To balance up the comments a little, I had/have a few issues with my KK200 (which is practically the same rifle). For me the stock is too long (not because I am short -183 cm- but due to my position) and the whole rifle is front heavy. The second thing is the trigger on my model. The setting changes over time by getting lighter, after around 500 shots it fired when closing the bolt, so I have to keep it heavier than I want (not much, I got used to it after a while, but it is annoying)

It's still a good rifle and feels nice in position.

I don't have any opinions on the 2700 (well, I do, but none of them are from me using it) but I own a 700 which I have issues with. In short: buttplate, cheek piece and build quality. I still like it a lot though and it's the best rifle I have owned/tried and we have produced some nice scores together (after some tweaking obviously)

No matter what you buy, you will have to change it to fit you, which is just normal. I have yet to see the perfect rifle (even though the LG400 seems to be on the way there)
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

Hey cheers for the comment EJ, yeah its good to hear from both sides of the story, so that I'm not shrouded by propaganda ;)

I reckon though with walthers known trigger quality and overall feedback on its trigger systems, that your problem with the trigger may have been a result of something not tightened correctly or slightly out of place. Did you ever get it checked, with either a gunsmith or the company itself?

Ok well i believe the 700 is far different to the handling of the 2700, though they are a similar build. Since ive only ever really used a FWB2700 i cant really compare, but from my experience it is a brilliant rifle, its consistent, the weight is quite evenly distributed, the only downside is the bolt on it is sooooo stiff/rigid.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

I believe that the trigger is one of the differences between the KK200 and the KK300 (although I may be wrong).

I had the pleasure of trying a friend's KK300 a few months ago and it shot very well and I feel I could have made it as comfortable to shoot as my heavily customized Anschutz given more time. (It had an HPS buttplate which was the most difficult thing to adjust). As Robin said, the older Walther buttplate is preferred by some to the MEC one.

I did find it heavier than I expected but it didn't cause me any problems.

If I were in the market for a new rifle, I'd probably choose the KK300.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Yes, the KK300 trigger is quite different from the KK200, we have two so can give a good reference, ours are both very consistant and being retired we do a lot of shooting. Not long after we got them we got ours set up to our preference by the factory technician who came to Bisley and they have been perfect since. The trigger is always a personal preference but every one who has felt ours likes them.

Regarding ballance, we both use the "light" barrels which is an option and gives the rifle a superb ballance and has no adverse effect on accuracy.

The length is very easily adjusted, and initially on my wifes as she is very short the factory supplied a stock shortened by machining the "black" spacer which I believe is designed to be interchangeable for diferent positions. I have also now altered mine to the same to suit a short position and bring the ballance right back.
The only weak thing is the MEC buttplate supplied as standard which is fiddly and flimsy, but you can specify the old style one which is superb.

I would heartily recomend the Walther KK300 alutec.
Robin
EJ

Post by EJ »

If the trigger is different between the two models you can disregard from that comment. And no, I never had it checked. This was 8y ago and nowadays I don't use it anymore (focusing on air for the time being). But if I did pick up 50m again I would look into the matter. The thing is that the barrel have to get changed (had a hard time finding ammo that shot well in it), trigger and the butt shortened so I would probably just change the whole rifle instead (easier)

I am not a big fan of the MEC hook either, but the old style doesn't work in standing position for me (it's just too fat). On the other hand since you will probably need 3 of them anyway, there is no need to move the parts of the buttplate between position and there is room to get whatever brand you like.
The FWB hook isn't the best one out there either, so that part is similar.
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

I'm only a prone position shooter so I wouldnt have really any hassle about re arranging the settings of a MEC buttplate, that said I have used similar style ones with the FWB and I'm rather use to them now, so to be honest the buttplate is of little concern to me, after a bit of fiddling the things works with ease.

I realise you have better known models than the 2700, is just i found it is such a consistent rifle in itself that it really is up to the shooter for the rest. Most whom I know have the FWB are shooting upwards of 595 most of the time. But that aside, I reckon the Walther may be the way to go for me, price wise and from the general feedback.
skylark

Post by skylark »

I dearly love mine. Much recommended. I haven't had any problems with my MEC buttplate since I started removing it to store the rifle. When I first got it, I just left it on (I upgraded from an Anschutz 1807 with a rubber buttplate, it didn't occur to me to take it off!) and the "wings" used to work loose over time.

But it is not a large stock. My husband is 6'4 and it doesn't adjust to large enough for him. The FWB is considerably bigger.