S&W Model 52?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

RandomShotz

S&W Model 52?

Post by RandomShotz »

I fired a few rounds through a S&W Model 52 the other day and was really impressed. Sweet trigger, and the recoil was remarkably manageable. I haven't gotten excited about a gun in a while and I think with a little stretching I can afford one, but I wonder what competitions a 5 shot .38 Special would be good for and if a .38 revolver would serve as well.

I am also wondering how it compares to the S&W 952. I would have to save up my nickels and dimes for a while to spring for one of those, but if it does for 9mm what the 53 does for .38 Special then it might be worth it.

Comments?

Roger
Rover

Post by Rover »

It would work nicely for International Center Fire Pistol, but a revolver would work just as well.

It would also be nice for Bullseye Center Fire, but most use their .45 for that.

I had one for a while.
bpost

Post by bpost »

The 52 is a gun designed for shooting the 148 grain wad-cutter bullet using light loads of bullseye for the centerfire stage of the NRA course of fire.

Most shooters just use the 1911 for both stages.

The 52 is a wonderful gun, deadly accurate and inexpensive to shoot.
jestep

S&W 52

Post by jestep »

I used a 52 many years ago and made the seriuos mistake of selling it. BIGmistake as it was one of the best pistols for Target. WIsh they still made that WC gun at an affordable price!!!

Of course, I now live in Greater Texas where precision target seems to have been replaced with the IDPA and such. Hard to find shooters that want to hit a bullseye these days . . . .
tleddy

Re: S&W 52

Post by tleddy »

This is true almost everywhere! Try and find an International venue - there are almost zero in Central Florida. Even NRA Bullseye is poorly represented.
jestep wrote:I used a 52 many years ago and made the seriuos mistake of selling it. BIGmistake as it was one of the best pistols for Target. WIsh they still made that WC gun at an affordable price!!!

Of course, I now live in Greater Texas where precision target seems to have been replaced with the IDPA and such. Hard to find shooters that want to hit a bullseye these days . . . .
TonyT

Re: S&W Model 52?

Post by TonyT »

RandomShotz wrote:I fired a few rounds through a S&W Model 52 the other day and was really impressed. Sweet trigger, and the recoil was remarkably manageable. I haven't gotten excited about a gun in a while and I think with a little stretching I can afford one, but I wonder what competitions a 5 shot .38 Special would be good for and if a .38 revolver would serve as well.

I am also wondering how it compares to the S&W 952. I would have to save up my nickels and dimes for a while to spring for one of those, but if it does for 9mm what the 53 does for .38 Special then it might be worth it.

Comments?

Roger
Tyhe S&W 52 was a superb semi auto designed for the bullseye CF stage. Mine was totally reliable with 2.8 gr. Bullseye behind the Remington 148 gr. LHBWC seated flush with a very slight crimp. The S&W 52 trigger was I believe the nicest factory CF semi auto is much better than the current S&W 952 trigger.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Okay, in a moment of weakness, I bought a Model 52-1. The only ammo Bud's Gun Shop had in stock was Fiocchi and it won't quite cycle the gun. For now, that's okay - it doesn't jam, it just fails to eject and the slide returns to battery. I just rack the slide and the empty case drops on the bench which makes it easier to recover. I figured I would have to start reloading to maximize accuracy, which is already awesome, and make it inexpensive enough to actually get some serious practice.

I found a new old stock barrel bushing on Gunbroker.com and bought it just in case. The 52-1 has a reputation for breaking extractors - should I be shopping around for one as backup? I've given a quick look-see around the web, and they are definitely hard to find and I don't expect it to get any easier over time. Are there any other parts that I should have in stock?

Thanks for the help -

Roger
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

RandomShotz wrote: The 52-1 has a reputation for breaking extractors - should I be shopping around for one as backup?
Absolutely- S&W hasn't supported the 52-1 for many years.
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

As extractors and bushings are un-obtainium, we all wish you luck. And if you find more than one, please can I be first on the list? I recently bought a lightly used 52-1, and it is the third one I have owned. Definite love-hate relationship with that gun. Wonderful to shoot, but if I don't do things absolutely perfectly, it will crush your ego mercilessly.

Cheers ---Dr jim
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Yeah, I got a pretty good ego-crushing yesterday. I guess I've been spoiled by shooting the TOZ - nearly no recoil and a grip that is very forgiving. The 52 really let me know that I was going to have to practice a lot to be worthy of it. That means reloading or paupery, so I guess I'll start looking for reloading gear soon.

Okay, the bushing I bought (but have not received yet) is from gunpartstore on Gunbroker.com

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =254087191

I think he may have some more.

The closest thing I can find to an extractor is this from Numrich Arms:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Se ... er=359790B

The same part number is specified for Models 59 and 39 and is described as "old style extractor" so it may be the right one. I ordered one on spec; I'll let you know if it fits. If it doesn't, then I'll probably just sell it on the S&W forum.

BTW, do you (or anyone else) have instructions for disassembly/assembly? Field stripping is easy enough, but I'd like to tear it down a little further. The previous owner seems to have kept it nicely enough, but is a bit wet so I'd like to clean it out and lube it more sparingly. Specifically, I can't get the safety lever out to release the firing pin so I'm sure I'm missing something.

Thanks

Roger
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Did you actually get an extractor from Numrich? Last time I checked it was a no go, same for the fellow in Missouri that advertised them - when I ordered one he came back saying he cannot get them anymore, but he still has them up on his website. Eh?
Not sure that the 39/59 version will work - I have both and seems to me there are dimensional differences that include the size and shape of the claw.

I am not a "clean" fanatic. I only clean when a gun starts malfunctioning then its grips off and solvent dunk for the major components without other than slide & barrel off. If you worry about the firing pin, a good squirt of WD40 or your preferred spray into the firing pin hole generally does a decent job of flushing the crud out.

Cheers --- Jim
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

No, I have not actually gotten anything yet. I read somewhere on the S&W forum (I think) that the extractor for the 39 can be easily modified to fit the 52-1. Unfortunately, I can't find the reference right now and I may have been dreaming anyway.

I like a clean gun in moderation; there's no need to strip it to the pins every time (although that's exactly what I did back when I shot black powder.) I am concerned that excess lubricant will collect dust and become an abrasive sludge so I tend to minimalism in oiling - put a little on and wipe most of it off. However, the previous owner seems to have taken the WD-40 bath approach and there were some wet bits I wanted to get at.

I discovered the set screw to remove the rear sight which will then permit the "ejector depressor" and spring to be removed. That unblocked the safety and the rest was easy. There was a fair amount of crud in with the juice especially around the firing pin and spring. I don't know if it would have affected function, but I cleaned it all out and gave all the moving parts a light coat of Break Free.

I still don't know how to remove the extractor and haven't found the answer on line. Apparently that question has been asked in various venues over the years, so it is probably some arcane knowledge lost in the depths of time. time. Hopefully, as long as I keep the area under the claw clean and don't let it slam on a loaded chamber I won't ever have to figure it out.

I won't have a chance to shoot it for a couple of days. In the meantime, I'd like to find some HBWC ammo that isn't Fiocchi and doesn't cost $21/box. Wish me luck!

Roger
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

RandomShotz wrote:Okay, in a moment of weakness, I bought a Model 52-1. The only ammo Bud's Gun Shop had in stock was Fiocchi and it won't quite cycle the gun. For now, that's okay - it doesn't jam, it just fails to eject and the slide returns to battery. I just rack the slide and the empty case drops on the bench which makes it easier to recover. I figured I would have to start reloading to maximize accuracy, which is already awesome, and make it inexpensive enough to actually get some serious practice.

I found a new old stock barrel bushing on Gunbroker.com and bought it just in case. The 52-1 has a reputation for breaking extractors - should I be shopping around for one as backup? I've given a quick look-see around the web, and they are definitely hard to find and I don't expect it to get any easier over time. Are there any other parts that I should have in stock?
Roger,
When I had a 52-1 Iporderd an extra extractor from Numrich. I believe it was listed under the Model 39m parts. When I sold the gun the psare extractor went with it. If you do not use the bushing wrench to tighten the bushing it should also last forever. I onlt finger tightened the bushing nut and obtained excellent accuarcy.
tony

Thanks for the help -

Roger
davekp

Post by davekp »

Looking at my OLD NRA Assy guide, it looks like you have to remove the firing pin first to remove the extractor. Looks like disassembly is the same as the Model 39.
I do not know any of this from firsthand experience, however.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Tony -

Thanks for the tips. The busing wrench is pretty useless and I'd already read somewhere that its principal function is to scratch the front of the slide. The bushing assembles easily enough without it. I hope you are right about the 39/52 extractor, and I hope I never have to find out if you are right.

Dave

I don't know if the NRA manual is different, but I had a look at a couple of old books that I have and some stuff on the web and even S&W's web site and all of them have drawings of the 39 family with a short extractor. The "old style" extractor on the 52-1 looks from the outside like a flat spring that extends from the breech face to the safety lever. There are no visible signs of a pin or anything else that might be retaining it: it might even be held in place by FM for all I know.

BTW, that is one of the things that attracted me to handguns many years ago - intricate and incredibly clever mechanisms constrained by being in a hand-held, ergonomically effective device. Sort of like watches that operate on the energy of controlled explosions. I wish I could afford some of the early European semiautos like the Borchardt just to get a look at the works. However, I'm not as clever as I need to be to take some of these mechanisms apart safely, as I've learned long ago through lessons paid for in lost springs and marred parts. I won't strip the 52 any further than I absolutely need to and only if I am absolutely sure of what I'm doing.

So for know I will focus on the less clever but no less cerebral art of actually shooting the thing well.

Roger
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I sold my 52-1 several years ago. I had purchsed another extractor from Numrich but the original one was functioning. I believe I ordered the extractor from the Model 39 from Numrich.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Here is the Model 39 extractor I got from Numrich. Apparently, the only way to remove the extractor is to push the claw end out of the slide and move the extractor rearward. This is something that I'm not going to try unless it becomes necessary.

The only difference that is apparent without removing the original is that the claw is thicker on the 39 than on the 52. That's the barely visible bump on the end of the extractor. I guess this makes sense if the rim of a 9mm is thinner than the rim on a .38 spl - I don't have a 9 here to compare.

So if there are any 52 owners out there who want a replacement or a backup, this looks like it will do the job with just a little bit of modification and Numrich has more.

BTW, the new bushing I bought is the same diameter as the original +/- .0002", so there hasn't been a wear problem there yet. At least it will enhance the value of the piece if I ever have to sell it. Hopefully, that will be an issue for the estate liquidators.

Roger
Attachments
M52_extractor.jpg
stxrob

STXROB

Post by stxrob »

Hey, wow, all I can say is don't sell it !, I lost my first 52-2 in 2005 in a robbery. it took me 3 years to find another one, used at $1000. The shooters in Barbados would mill out the bottom of the gove in the magazine to fit a sixth round, it was pretty cool. I Love my model 52, black hills used to make 38 wadcutters at a good price. I think the NRA riflemen magazine last month did an artical on the 52, but it was very shot, so I wrote them a letter on mine and my story. Keep in touch, 52 shooters, they call it the cheating gun. I put pacmeryer grips on mine.