Shooting Glass Frames Setup?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
plinkster

Shooting Glass Frames Setup?

Post by plinkster »

Wow, I just purchased my first set of frames and I am totally lost on how to set them up.. I shoot 10 meter AP and i wear glasses. I bought a set of MEC's with a 23mm lens holder and a opaque eye shade. I think i'm supposed to be using a 37mm(?) for pistol but I don't have that size.
I'm right handed (right eye shooter) and I guess my questions are how do i turn my head towards the target (the correct way) how to adjust the lens, and maybe some sugestions on dealing with my eye doctor to get a proper lens? Thanks!!!!!
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Sometimes it is easier to set up the glasses if you have a centering device. It also helps to have a second shooter observing to help make the adjustments.
Once you have got your head into the correct and comfortable position to naturally look at the sights and the aiming mark, then you can quite quickly set the lens holder to be perfectly vertical without any "twist".
Most pistol shooters use the larger lens holder as there is less space restrictions when compared to rifle shooters.
When you contact your eye doctor, remember that you need to be focusing on the foresight, or even very slightly beyond the foresight, but definately NOT on the target. This will take a little convincing, as he will normally be used to setting the focus at a given distance ie for reading glasses.
Good luck and once you get used to using the glasses, just make sure that when you pack them away, you do so carefully so that you do not cause any adjustements to happen.
GOVTMODEL

Re: Shooting Glass Frames Setup?

Post by GOVTMODEL »

plinkster wrote:Wow, I just purchased my first set of frames and I am totally lost on how to set them up.. I shoot 10 meter AP and i wear glasses. I bought a set of MEC's with a 23mm lens holder and a opaque eye shade. I think i'm supposed to be using a 37mm(?) for pistol but I don't have that size.
I'm right handed (right eye shooter) and I guess my questions are how do i turn my head towards the target (the correct way) how to adjust the lens, and maybe some sugestions on dealing with my eye doctor to get a proper lens? Thanks!!!!!
See BULLSEYE SHOOTERS' GUIDE FOR THE EYECARE PROFESSIONAL at http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwo ... guide.html
npuffer

Re: eyecare guide

Post by npuffer »

Hey, cool guide! Thanks!