Beginner prone: rifle keeps wanting to tilt right

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I hate that handstop with a passion. It caused me so much pain it isnt even funny. I gave it to another shooter and he is complaining of the same thing. I use a MEC now. I like it much better.
Adrian, If you want I will let you use it this saturday.
matt
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

Ok, Its getting better now. Kenny, I think the progression of adjustments in your post really works for me. First thing being sling length and forearm angle, then the handstop and possibly a combination with buttpad adjustment. Luckily, after adjusting the handstop to make the buttpad stick into my shoulder pocket, my head lines up well onto the cheekpiece and isnt too far back or forward. So no need to adjust the buttpad. The rifle is pretty secure now, not much sway, theres a slight bias for the rifle to cant left, no pain in the wrist(compared to before), and my right hand can reach just reach the breech. Id like to try this in action. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Only thing is to get rid of this stretchy leather sling and try out a proper handstop.

Adrian
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

sbrmike wrote:Hey Adrian,
I really like your stock. It is exactly what I am looking for. I will propose a trade to you. I have an 1810 thumbhole Free Rifle stock with the proper buttplate carrier but not the correct buttplate. My stock is utility grade dark stained walnut and has it share of dings, dents etc from years of use. The length of pull on this stock goes from 11-1/4" to at least 15 inches between the carrier and 1903 spacers. The stock currently has a new 1903 rubber buttplate mounted on 1903 curved plastic plate.

I will trade the stock as it is described, plus an Anschutz 4751 Handstop, plus will order you a new, aluminum hook buttplate for the 1903 guide that is on the 1810 carrier. I will ship first so that you don't miss any trigger time. We will also have to trade triggerguards and action screws.

You will have an 1809 in the end. As was stated earlier, putting a hook on an 1807/1907 stock of that era yields a long LOP. Check your PM's as I sent you one. Note I am adding a new hook buttplate to that offer. I will send you pics via email if you are interested. mikegmathis AT verizon DOT net

ETA: If you should want to get a more adjustable Free Rifle buttplate to mount to this carrier, I will substitute adding $125 cash instead of the 1903 aluminum hook plate, your call. The stock shoots great as it is and is dimensionally similar to your 1807. I just want a straight up Standard Rifle as I have a full blown 1813 with all the bells and whistles.
Hey Mike, thanks for the offer to trade stocks.. I think though, that I'm going to keep it intact for now, and I'll let you know later what I plan to do with it when I start to consider aluminum stocks. Im actually liking it alot. There are a few stocks on here, have you considered them? I see one 1807 stock that has the plastic(?) cheekpiece and the different grip.

Adrian
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

Globesmasher17 wrote:Hey Adrian:

I can recommend sbrmike's suggestion to use the Anschutz 4751 handstop. I used to have the little one like you have pictured (the 6225) - the one that came with the original stock - and it pushed undue pressure on my hand. The 4751 handstop is quite a nice one, good ergonomics and sells at a reasonable price (won't break the piggy bank). It made a lot of difference to me. I believe you will notice quite a difference too with a 4751. The 4751 pivots as well so you will be able to employ KennyB's hand positioning much easier with it.

As a right handed shooter I experienced the same problems you are having when I started ... the rifle wanted to "fall" or tilt out to the right. Using many suggestions here on the forum I adjusted my hand position down the length of the stock (hand stop placement), used KennyB's suggestion as to where and how to place the left hand (thumb pad so to speak) and also gradually adjusted the sling tension. These all helped to gradually remove the "tilt to the right hand side". Also, turning the sling into a "single thickness" sling helped too (but that is another thread on here altogether).

One thing that made a big change was also adjusting and tilting the butt hook assembly. I use the Anschutz 4765 hook but plate on a 2213-8300 butt plate carrier. It can be manipulated in quite a few directions and degrees of cant/tilt. This took many months but I eventually found a setting that helps keep the butt firmly placed into the shoulder and that also helps to counteract that "tilting or falling" feeling out to the right.

Hunting for and finding that prone position that works for you will take quite a long time as you tweak and adjust and try things to fix issues. I guess that is the part of the process/journey that "IS" smallbore match rifle shooting. Furthermore, getting the rifle to "fit like a glove" is also part of the greater challenge.

Now I don't want to compete with sbrmike, but if I ever get my hands on a used 2213 stock, I will have a walnut 1912 stock up for cheap sale!!! Sounds like he has a really good trade proposal for you though. GET THAT 4751 HANDSTOP!!!!
Yeah, my coach is trying very much to get me to buy that handstop.. I really should get one, but Matt (westerngrizzly) is offering to let me try his first, just incase I happen to hate it. Chances are though, I'll probably end up getting it as I do adapt pretty easily. And seeing the offerings from other companies, Im having a hard time justifying the cost of some of them.........
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

WesternGrizzly wrote:I hate that handstop with a passion. It caused me so much pain it isnt even funny. I gave it to another shooter and he is complaining of the same thing. I use a MEC now. I like it much better.
matt
Awesome thanks. Saturday will be judgement day for Anschutz handstops. :)
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

WesternGrizzly wrote:I hate that handstop with a passion. It caused me so much pain it isnt even funny. I gave it to another shooter and he is complaining of the same thing. I use a MEC now. I like it much better.
matt
I also have a MEC and am very happy with it.
I own an Anschutz 4752 and suffered a lot of pain from that one but currently I'm trying it on a stock with a sloping forend and it's not quite as bad.

I found the 4751 to be too "fat" on the occasion(s) that I tried one - but if you have large hands it might suit you.

Ken.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

adrianS wrote: I see one 1807 stock that has the plastic(?) cheekpiece and the different grip.

Adrian
The 1807 should have a plastic cheekpeice and a different grip. You have a 1907 stock, not an 1807. The 1907 replaced the 1807 in 1987.
bruce

Post by bruce »

KennyB wrote:
matt
I also have a MEC and am very happy with it.
I own an Anschutz 4752 and suffered a lot of pain from that one but currently I'm trying it on a stock with a sloping forend and it's not quite as bad.

I found the 4751 to be too "fat" on the occasion(s) that I tried one - but if you have large hands it might suit you.

Ken.

+1

My experience of the 4571 was very similar, lots of pain :) probably because of my smallish hands.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

My hands are actually very big, big enough in fact that the flange part of the handstop was digging into my hand. That was not fun. With the MEC, my hand just falls asleep.
Matt