Powder loads 32

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
rstriano

Powder loads 32

Post by rstriano »

Anyone have recommendations for a beginner with a walther GSP on powder brand and loads for a 32? Going to start reloading soon for the first time.

Thanks
PFribley

Powder loads

Post by PFribley »

I have been using 1.2gr N310 for 25yd. and 1.4gr. N310 for 50yd. Some use 1.3 for both 25 and 50.
al-sway

Post by al-sway »

I have used WST with 98 or 100 gr swaged SWC. I use a load that will give me around 650-700 fps. I do all of my load development with a chronograph, as one time I tried a recommended load and found that I was getting close to 800 fps, which I considered far too rough for my GSP. I try to keep my target loads in the same velocity range as factory Lapua.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

I wouldn't recommend that a first-time reloader start with the .32, unless you're a masochist.

The .45 is much more user friendly.
al-sway

Post by al-sway »

Not sure why you suggest that a .32 is hard to reload. I have never had a problem, and load development has usually meant one or two charge weight iterations to achieve the velocity and accuracy that I want. By contrast, the .45 required a bit more work to ensure reliability as well as accuracy.
MFR

Post by MFR »

al-sway wrote:I have used WST with 98 or 100 gr swaged SWC. I use a load that will give me around 650-700 fps. I do all of my load development with a chronograph, as one time I tried a recommended load and found that I was getting close to 800 fps, which I considered far too rough for my GSP. I try to keep my target loads in the same velocity range as factory Lapua.
The GSP is said to work nice with the HN 314 100gr bullet, and I think 1,2gr vvN310 would be a good starting point.

The other day I tested my loads (loads that I use in the Manurhin 32, HN314 100gr 1,0gr vvN310) in a friends GSP, It felt very accurate, and I got a group within the 10-ring. I will ask him to test in the chronograph.
(In the Manurhin I get about 200m/s with this load)

//MFR
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

MFR wrote:It felt very accurate, and I got a group within the 10-ring. I will ask him to test in the chronograph.
(In the Manurhin I get about 200m/s with this load)
Please remember that testing with a chronograph only tells you about velocity (speed actually) and the consistency of that speed.

It tells you absolutely nothing about accuracy.

Also, getting an unsupported group in the 10 ring, unless you have the ability to accurately call shots and called them all in the correct part of the 10 ring, is also not a particularly good gauge of accuracy.

.32 ammunition that will only just stay inside the 10 ring of a 25m Precision target, not just scoring a 10 each time, has a 40mm centre to centre. That's a pretty poor ammunition/gun combination.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I used Don Nygord's old load 1.5 gr. WST with the Sper 98 gr, LHBWC. The 32 S&WL is as easy to load as anyh other straight walled pistol caliber.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

al-sway wrote:Not sure why you suggest that a .32 is hard to reload. I have never had a problem, and load development has usually meant one or two charge weight iterations to achieve the velocity and accuracy that I want. By contrast, the .45 required a bit more work to ensure reliability as well as accuracy.
Well, I'm a better shooter than I am a reloader, so YMMV.

In my experience (and judging by the posts on this forum and on Bullseye-L), the .32 is harder to reload than the .45. The OP also has posted in the bullseye forum on this site, so I was guessing that he/she is trying to shoot the .32 at 50 yards.

That might explain some of the difference of opinion: getting the .32 to shoot well at 50 yards is quite a production (esp. when compared to the .45). .32 reloading is also tougher with a progressive press (again, in my experience).

Last but not least, there are many recipes for .45 SWC target loads out there, whereas those of us who shoot the .32 are a smaller bunch, and we get chided for the color of our skirts :)
oldcaster

loads for 32 long

Post by oldcaster »

I have been very successful making my stock gun acceptable at 50 yards but I had to stand on my head to do it and it is a Benelli. Probably a lot of the same things will matter in all 32's but I understand that some have a groove diameter of .312 and that may change everything. As Dave Wilson writes below, the GSP's generally have a .314 diameter barrel but note that he puts usually in marks because it isn't an absolute. I would though, go with his loads for that gun because I am sure he has had plenty of experience working them up. It's his business to know. -- Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings,

The Walther GSP-C and Expert models "usually" have groove diameters of 0.314".

I suggest using H&N 0.314" HBWC with 1.4 grains of VV N310.

If you go with a cast bullet, be sure it is sized to 0.314" minimum and use 1.65 grains of Winchester WST powder.

I recommend the use of Lapua, R-P, or Fiocchi brass. Avoid StarLine, W-W, and Federal as the case walls are too thick in the midsection for loading full wadcutter bullets.

Last, make sure the barrel is CLEAN. I use Hoppes #9 and a 0.338 Rifle Brass Brush to clean out the fouling from the barrel and chamber. Push the brush all the way through (Do no reverse direction with the brush in the barrel).

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson
rstriano

Post by rstriano »

All great advice and about the cleaning of the firearm also. I will purchase the machine this week and the necessary components. Good thing the gentleman at the shop does a hands on walk-through of instruction when you buy a machine from him.

I bacame a doctor so i guess with your advice, printing all of your suggestions and assembling them into a "recipe book" i am ready to get started.

I am currently focussing at 25 yards as i can get 10's all of 30%-40% of the time with Fiocci ammunition. Obviously as a beginner the 50 yard bull is much harder to have a steady or predictable hold on but one thing is for sure, you want good equipment and ammunition so those issues at somewhat out of the picture.

Thank you all for sharing you experience and vast knowledge in this sport that eases the learning curve for me.