Lowey Bolt Protector Demonstration

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bluetentacle

Lowey Bolt Protector Demonstration

Post by bluetentacle »

Just received this neat product from Australia yesterday. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zeSRWvpDY

I'm not affiliated with Lowey in anyway. Just a satisfied customer.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

My bolt protector is my rifle
Matt
Colin

Post by Colin »

Never store my rifles with the bolt in, apart from it being one of the Licensing regulations in my part of the world, it suits me as if some low life does steal your rifle it's not much good to them without the bolt.
skylark

Post by skylark »

Like Colin said, in the UK you can't store your bolt in your rifle.

I've seen these (not sure if it is the same manufacturer) but the price has always put me off. I just made a little cloth bag for mine.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Err. Yes you can.

It's good practice to separate them, but not law. I know more than a couple of clubs who store their rifles bolt in, as do many cadet units (although removing them would be a bit redundant as any B/As are sat next to cadet GP rifles which are semi-auto and generally not stripped down for storage).

After all, shotguns do not have to be stripped down and their working parts stored separately, nor do semi-automatics have to have their breech-blocks removed.

I remove the bolt from my B/A out of habit (along with sights and stuff into a separate case), but it's a fairly token gesture as the gun is stored next to my Ruger 10/22 which is fully working (although the magazines are separate, but they're not controlled parts and you could pick up spares without an FAC).
skylark

Post by skylark »

I stand corrected. I just know our local force insist bolts are stored separately - it's a favourite question when they come round to inspect for FACs. Not much margin telling them your method is legal if they simply won't give you an FAC at that point.

I don't have shotguns or semiautomatics, so no idea what they say about them.
Colin

Post by Colin »

erm, same here they want bolt/rifle/ammo all locked away separate, I also think it's good practice anyway
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

Thank you gentlemen for sharing this, mostly to make me a lot more vigilant in resisting more firearms regulations here in the U.S. than we already have.
skylark

Post by skylark »

I don't think it's a bad regulation, to be honest. It's an absolute guarantee that the rifle is in a safe condition. If you store guns with bolts in, especially if the bolt's closed, who's to say there isn't a live round in there and it could go off if you brush the trigger getting it out of the cupboard...or when you are putting it away in the clubroom?

I do appreciate that it's a pain for club guns, though (having spent part of my weekend matching up guns and separately stored bolts/actions, fortunately with a system where they're all clearly labelled).
Colin

Post by Colin »

yep, nothing to spoil your shooting more as you remove your rifle from storage with the bolt in and a round chambered and you manage to catch the trigger ;0)
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

I'm not surprised to hear of forces passing off good practice as law.

As I say, it is good practice, and I do it, but it's very inconsistent because they sure as heck don't insist that Shotgun owners store the barrels in a separate cabinet to the stock and action. Nor is is practicable for rifles like Ruger 10/22s or AR15s to strip out the working parts for separate storage.

Anschutz do a bolt protector for their bolts but I've never really felt the urge to spring £30 on one:

I find a pistol case works just as well, and holds your sights, timer and allen keys as well:

Colin wrote:yep, nothing to spoil your shooting more as you remove your rifle from storage with the bolt in and a round chambered and you manage to catch the trigger ;0)
I'm not quite sure how you would manage that. Rifle comes off the range with a breech flag in. Remove flag, close bolt (whilst holding trigger to allow the springs to ease), case immediately, return home and place in cabinet. Or if it's stored at range, leave range with flag, go to cabinet, remove flag, close bolt, stow in cabinet.

Whilst we all abide by the guiding principle that we treat a gun as loaded even when it's not, I'm not sure where ammunition would get an opportunity to be chambered unless you're breaking all the rules and loading the rifle off the range, or leave the range with one up the spout. They can't load themselves.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Hemmers wrote:...I'm not quite sure how you would manage that...
I recall helping out behind the counter in a gunshop from time to time in years past, and we used to keep 'score' - on a bad day about 1/3 of the firearms that came in the door were loaded (and most of those, cocked)!!!
skylark

Post by skylark »

Hemmers wrote:
Whilst we all abide by the guiding principle that we treat a gun as loaded even when it's not, I'm not sure where ammunition would get an opportunity to be chambered unless you're breaking all the rules and loading the rifle off the range, or leave the range with one up the spout. They can't load themselves.
I suspect what happens is "rifle case is directly behind the firing point and you pack away on the point." Everyone assumes a cased rifle is safe.

It's not going to happen in the normal run of events. It's going to happen when there was something odd which broke your habits. The detail was stopped on an emergency whistle. You ran out of time. You had a sudden nosebleed.

Belt and braces. If it's very difficult to leave the range with one up the spout AND very difficult to transport or store your gun loaded, the chances of both happening together are much closer to zero. If you only have one safety check, you only need to make one mistake.
Lowey

Post by Lowey »

bluetentacle, we are glad you like our product and wish you the best with your new Racer,

Some people prefer to remove the bolt from there rifle some dont ! If you like to remove it there is no better place to put it than in one of our bolt protectors , it decocks without the need to put your hands on the bolt body removing lube or contaminating with sweaty hands , it can then be placed in your favorite foam lined case without the worry of it picking up grit from the foam or being scratched from your allen keys.

I like to look at the price and think that its a cheap way to keep your bolt in pristine condition and when you head to a match you can be confident with your equipment.

Lowey Products are the sole manufacturer of the patented bolt protector making to suit many different rifle types, if you have questions please drop us an email lowey@skymesh.com.au

Cheers
Lowey