Revolver for 22

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Sled_Dog

Revolver for 22

Post by Sled_Dog »

Is anyone using a wheel gun for 22? I'm a big fan of the S&W models 17 and 18, but they don't seem to get much love.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I have a S&W model 17. It is very picky about ammo compared to my semi-auto pistols. My auto pistols are much more accurate at 50 yards than the revolver. Of course the big drawback to shooting a revolver in bullseye pistol shooting is that one has to cock the hammer without shifting the grip in sustained fire. It can be done well by some, but it is much harder to learn than simply putting pressure on the trigger of a semi-auto pistol. All that being said, go for it, if it floats your boat!
bentrod

Re: Revolver for 22

Post by bentrod »

Sled_Dog wrote:Is anyone using a wheel gun for 22? I'm a big fan of the S&W models 17 and 18, but they don't seem to get much love.
Yes, I just bought a used one last week to complement my Smith M-14 DR gun.

I shot a 2700 yesterday using the M17 for the .22 phase and the M14 for the CF phase. My agg. for either pistol was within 1 point, and scores shot with my LB 1911 wad gun were about the same.

Now this was all done at 25 yds using the B16 target for SF. I am sure my regular .22 SF gun is more accurate at 50 yds, but this was done with future DR match in mind. So, I am very happy with my Model 17.

I shoot revolvers single action and iron sights on all of my guns, if this is any help.
Sled_Dog

Post by Sled_Dog »

It is helpful. I suppose part of it is being the only one on the line and wondering if I'm missing something. At the same time that old gun gets a lot of looks.
6string

Post by 6string »

I had two pre-war Colt .22 revolvers, a Police Positive Target and a Officer's Model Target. Both were fantastic, although the former was a little light. The actions were nicely tuned; very smooth with excellent triggers. The accuracy was also excellent. I only used them for indoor gallery, but both could do half to three quarter inch at 25 yds. with just about any target velocity ammo I fed them.
I've never owned a S&W K-22 but have shot a few, including a pre-war K-22. My impression is that the early pre-war .22 revolvers were much better tuned for target use. Perhaps with the switch to autos by most target shooters led the manufacturers to slack off on the extra attention to fitting and timing that is needed for a revolver, especially a .22.
mister G

Post by mister G »

Do some reading about Babe Magnan from Massachusetts. Using only revolvers, he was the first to fire over 2600 at Perry and has been over 2650 four times using only S&W DA revolvers.

His loads were his own custom design as were his grips. Timed and rapid fire were shot single action. Worked up his CF and .45 loads with cast heads. I'm pretty sure all (or both) his guns had optical, not red dot, scopes. He used .45 Auto-Rim cases, not .45 acp.

He was a rare person and exceptional shooter as well.
38HBWC

M-17

Post by 38HBWC »

Won a lot of trophies with the 8 3/8" M-17. Shot rapid DA, though. My gun has a distinct "click"..."click".....then hammer drop. I fine tuned the trigger stop for elimination of most of the overtravel. I did put it aside and went with the iron sighted HS Victor, but only picked up a few points. After I gave up competition, I snapped up the LB Wadcutter with Match-Dot and a Pardini SP-22 for pleasure shooting. The Pardini is a pleasure to shoot, but I had to add a compensator to wipe out the muzzle flip, in spite of the recoil weight system.