Why is my 100 yard shooting better than 50 yd and 50 m?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

melchloboo

Why is my 100 yard shooting better than 50 yd and 50 m?

Post by melchloboo »

At my local nra smallbore match, I typically shoot really well at 100 yards, 99-99.5%, but my 50 yards and 50 meter work is closer to 96-97%.

Any ideas?
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I have two Ideas.
1.At 100 yards you only need to make 2 NPA changes. At 50 you need to make 4. So if after you change bulls if you have room for improvement in your NPA that could cause shots to deviate from the center.
2. I have only seem this a few times, but on a rare occasion a rifle will not shoot good groups with one lot of ammo at 50 and then just shoot great groups at 100 with the same lot. Have you tested your ammo at both 50 and 100?

It is probably the first one. So you need to be very diligent in making sure your NPA is set up as perfectly as you can make it. AND that your position feels the same.
Matt
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Good insight, perhaps I am not as diligent about finding the npa each target change at 50....except often my 1st is worst and my 4th is best.
skylark

Post by skylark »

Are the targets at the same height at the two distances? It may be that the 50s are higher (or lower) than your position can easily adjust to.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Are the targets and scoring rings the same proportional size (after adjusting for the bullet diameter).
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

skylark wrote:Are the targets at the same height at the two distances? It may be that the 50s are higher (or lower) than your position can easily adjust to.
Roughly, the 100 yd lower is probably lower than the 50 lower row, but height does not seem to be the problem.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

David Levene wrote:Are the targets and scoring rings the same proportional size (after adjusting for the bullet diameter).
Not sure, it's a nra approved match with nra targets, I assume they are scaled but I will have to look into that.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

The only other thing I can think of is glare off the closer targets.
pettzi

Post by pettzi »

Ammo.Are you using the same, if so why.Are you using different,if so why.Might this cause the difference.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

pettzi wrote:Ammo.Are you using the same, if so why.Are you using different,if so why.Might this cause the difference.
Same ammo. Wolf mt.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

What order do you shoot the bulls in?
Does this happen when you shoot with a scope?

I shoot the bulls in a U shape. Starting on the left hand side. Unless I am shooting the A50 target, then I shoot down both (kinda like 2 100 yard targets right next to each other)
Matt
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

WesternGrizzly wrote:What order do you shoot the bulls in?
Does this happen when you shoot with a scope?

I shoot the bulls in a U shape. Starting on the left hand side. Unless I am shooting the A50 target, then I shoot down both (kinda like 2 100 yard targets right next to each other)
Matt
Top row then bottom row. Your way makes more sense.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

It is easier (for me) to adjust in a vertical direction than it is lateral. You may want to try it that way.
Matt
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

I also find my 100 yard conventional scores to be higher than my 50 yard/meter scores. Conventional wisdom would suggest that wind issues would bother 100 yard shots more critically than 50 yard shots, and in some cases it does happen. Both the 50 and 100 targets are proportional in your sight, although the reduced meter target is "harder" because of the scoring ring placement. However, the conventional 50 yard target is directly comparable.

One variance to consider is that 10 rounds are put in each bull at 100, and no position changes are required for all ten shots. The second bull is vertically oriented, and generally NPA is not affected due to a lack of lateral movement. By going to 50, you have four targets and at some point have to transition from one side to another - thus affecting your NPA.

Depending on how fast you shoot in a 20 minute match, you may want to try the following actions IN PRACTICE. Shoot bulls 1 and 3 (left hand vertical). Temporarily move your body completely out of position, and then force yourself to freshly position yourself into a new NPA and shoot bulls 2 and 4 (right hand vertical). It's all about consistency until you are shooting against your NPA into a different bull - so try re-creating a good NPA on the next lateral bull.

My issue is a bit different as my skeletal build is w i d e. My legs and arms never got the memo they should be longer yet I have a 50-inch chest - all in the shoulders. As a result, I cannot load while keeping my elbow planted on my shooting mat. I have to roll very slightly to the left, free my right hand, load, and get back into position. I have been doing this long enough that with muscle memory my loading times from rolling left to reaching down for the hand grip is in the 5 to 7 second range By relying on muscle memory, I can stay focused and generally roll slightly right back into my NPA. It's not a suggested move, but it has gotten me to the 1590s.

Good shooting, Todd
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Telecomtodd wrote:. . .

My issue is a bit different as my skeletal build is w i d e. My legs and arms never got the memo they should be longer yet I have a 50-inch chest - all in the shoulders. As a result, I cannot load while keeping my elbow planted on my shooting mat. I have to roll very slightly to the left, free my right hand, load, and get back into position. I have been doing this long enough that with muscle memory my loading times from rolling left to reaching down for the hand grip is in the 5 to 7 second range By relying on muscle memory, I can stay focused and generally roll slightly right back into my NPA. It's not a suggested move, but it has gotten me to the 1590s.

Good shooting, Todd
Todd,
I don't have the same build as yours, however, I do have shorter arms for my height. I had trouble reaching the breech on my Anschutz and noticed guys shooting a Winchester 52 were able to chamber a round with less effort. I bought a Winchester and it solved my problem. I don't think it will work as well for you as me, but it is worth borrowing a rifle to try.
ben