Recommended Color for Wall

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jamdon

Recommended Color for Wall

Post by jamdon »

We are in the process of remodeling our 10m air gun/meeting room. The walls are going to be repainted and I would like to know if there is a recommended color for the wall behind the target? Thanks in advance.
Spencer

Re: Recommended Color for Wall

Post by Spencer »

jamdon wrote:We are in the process of remodeling our 10m air gun/meeting room. The walls are going to be repainted and I would like to know if there is a recommended color for the wall behind the target? Thanks in advance.
6.3.17.1 All indoor ranges...The background area behind the targets must be a non-reflecting, light even neutral color.

Ah, the fighting, screaming and scratching that went on over this for the 10M range for the Sydney Olympics! The engineer considered that the dark timber boards were the required 'light even neutral color' and took a lot of convincing otherwise.

Flat, off-white is the way to go - my preference is for a very light beige.
jamdon

Thanks!

Post by jamdon »

This is the info I was looking for.
william

Post by william »

Try to match a photographer's 17% gray card. I believe our host is a photographer and may be able to direct you.
Rover

Post by Rover »

That's an 18 percent gray card. You can buy them at good photography stores. (I'm also a photographer.)

You needn't get that fussy; it's kind of a battleship gray.
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

My club's air pistol range is outdoors and the backdrop is random vegetation on the backstop with the odd snake slithering around.
Rover

Post by Rover »

We get rattlers at our range.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Our indoor 10 metre air weapons range is painted in old fashioned "Magnolia" or the new version which is "Gardenia" vinyl silk emulsion. This gives plenty of reflected light to help to keep the light levels even.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I'm sure that if you are going to shoot according to ISSF rules, they probably have detailed rules as to what color is acceptable and what tone. They probably even specify what level of reflection is allowed. If you shoot by NRA rules, you probably will have much more latitude.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Misny wrote:I'm sure that if you are going to shoot according to ISSF rules, they probably have detailed rules as to what color is acceptable and what tone. They probably even specify what level of reflection is allowed.
Not at all. See the second post on this thread.