Glasses lenses

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rstriano

Glasses lenses

Post by rstriano »

Anyone know where to buy those glasses with the round lense that hangs in front of you eye using adjustable diopter magnifications??

I want to shoot bullseye open sights and i can't see my sights clearly??
jackh

Post by jackh »

rstriano

Post by rstriano »

Sorry for being so basic, but can you still wear your usual shooting glasses and these serve as an additional lense on the one eye?
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've used Champion shooting glasses of the type you describe. I have not found the interchangeable diopters useful except to experiment. (And they're expensive.) The Champions do allow you to precisely align the lens with your eye and the sights. Also they offer an optional diaphragm if you feel you need one.

I recently had a lens made for them that was exactly to my prescription plus the magnification I needed to pull my focus to the front sight.

A place called Copper State Optical here in Phoenix gets a lot of work from local guys as the owner is a shooter himself. (Mail order plus free advice over the phone?)

Anyway, your cheapest method would probably be to buy a pair of glasses set up exactly and then put a strip of matte Scotch tape across your non-shooting lens (remove when finished). You could find other uses for them as well.

A real quick and dirty is to go to the Dollar Store and buy two or three pairs of glasses in the area you think might be useful. Do the tape trick and play with them for a while. It might work for you and only cost a few bucks.
GOVTMODEL

Re: Glasses lenses

Post by GOVTMODEL »

rstriano wrote:Anyone know where to buy those glasses with the round lense that hangs in front of you eye using adjustable diopter magnifications??

I want to shoot bullseye open sights and i can't see my sights clearly??
Champion's Choice sells Knobloch and Champion brand, and I believe our host sells a different brand. You'll get best results with a prescription lens for your shooting eye.
rstriano

Post by rstriano »

Hey guys thanks for all the advice. I don't wear prescription glasses, just reading glasses. The target is crystal clear, front sight pretty good, rear sight not.

I ordered frames and lenses from ISS so your advice was just fantastic. Neil Stepp was terrific.

I so want to shoot good and if the focus and resultant sight picture isn't crisp then i am guessing and that creates a domino effect of flinching.

That is why i am amzed and dedicated at how you guys can shoot even an 8 at 50 yards is awesome.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

rstriano wrote:Hey guys thanks for all the advice. I don't wear prescription glasses, just reading glasses. The target is crystal clear, front sight pretty good, rear sight not.
It's the front sight that should be crystal clear, rear sight and target fuzzy.

An eye exam is worthwhile.
rstriano

Post by rstriano »

You are 1000 percent correct on your assertion! I have been focussing on the target. My bad. Just started reading Laslo Antals book Chapt 1 on basics. Although i picked up and fired my first shot With a pistol around 7 weeks ago, it's amazing managed to I hit anything. I started on a bench to get sight picture only at first.

In my stance I wasn't aware of facing the target, chest square as not my natural point of aim causing a horizontal drift, didn't know how to find me natural point of aim, with the grip I used pressure on my pinkey, tips of middle and ring finger and thumb while gripping, causing low shots, didn' have the "V" between my thumb and index finger exactly in line with the center of the barrel, had my target focussed in sight picture instead of only focussing on front sight, held my breath too long and didn't inhale on my rise, didn't take my rise to the target to a point above the target and had my sights aimed at the center of the target at the 10 and not below it around the 5 ring both causing my sights to melt into the target and. Causing my focus to be on the target not the foresight.

Other than that I was doing great. So glad you recommended that book!
rstriano

Post by rstriano »

Bought the Knoblochs with .5 over my shooting eye and the difference was immedaqite. The piositive results were immediate as well.
Rover

Post by Rover »

A World Champion shooter (Don Nygord) told me that (for pistol) a natural point of aim is BS. Don't get too hung up on trying to find yours.

There was a somewhat heated discussion on this subject not too long ago. See if you can find it with a Search.

Find a comfortable stance somewhere between edgewise and 3/4 to the target and work from there. I can even remember when shooters were trying directly facing the target and it worked OK, but it didn't seem to "take."

I'm sure we'll see some comments on this.
rstriano

Post by rstriano »

I bet. I also see shooters with their head tucked between their shoulders when the gun is extended. Looks like a position incorporating a lot of large muscles to maintain. Also looks like the weight is way forward on the balls of the feet again with large muscles.

I'm with you, relaxed, confortable position right foot back a bit, right-handed shooter seems best for me. I do, however, beleiev in natural points of aim.

Just hold your aim, close your eyes, let your gun down, bring it back up, open your eyes and see where your sights are. If that isn't close to back on the aim point i believe you will have a tendancy to miss off in that direction.