Removing Rear Sights for Storage and Problems with Zero??

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

beats

Removing Rear Sights for Storage and Problems with Zero??

Post by beats »

I'm wondering if there are any accessories that can be kept on the sight mounting rail, in front of where my rear sight will sit, that will allow me to mark the EXACT position my rear sight should be in before a match?

I was discussing removing and re-fitting the rear sight with a fellow club member at the weekend. I asked him if he too always removes his sights and he said that he did. His reasons were that it made it easier to fit the rifle into his cabinet; and that he didn't want to risk knocking the sight moving the rifle in and out of the cabinet. Both are reasons that I agree with.
However, we couldn’t agree on a satisfactory method for ensuring that our sights went back on to the rifle in the EXACT same spot each time we shoot.

We both shoot with Anschutz Match 54 rifles, and so the best that we have come up with is to try and line the end of the sight up with the end of the sight mounting rail. Although the edges of the sights are square, the end of the sight mounting rails are tapered. In my mind this leaves too much room for error when trying to match the two ends up. (It also restricts our adjustment of eye relief as may be required)

This is where I believe the accessory to slide the sight up to would come in, if there is such a thing?

I have seen the raiser blocks with a numbered scale along the side that would allow me to measure where the sight goes, however I am happy that my sights are the correct height (and my stock doesn’t have an adjustable cheek piece) so would prefer not to go down this route.

I know that for most people this may not be an issue because you get sighter shots during a match, however I am competing in a league where we don’t get sighters. Each match consists of only 15 shots to count! The difference between 1st and 5th (me) in the league last year was only 3 points so I really dont want to be having niggling doubts in my mind about the zero of the sights.

Hope someone will be able to help
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

A real Hi tech answer!

I trim an adhesive paper lable to the width of the rail or in my case the sight raiser block and stick it on the top, then pen or pencil line across the front of the sight position. Lasts ages, simple, exact, just slide the sight up to the line. On my air rifle where I hav'nt moved the sight position for ages I just have a coloured sticker in front of the sights, why do you need more.
Good shooting
Robin
beats

Post by beats »

haha sorted! (feel very stupid now for not thinking of somethin as simple as that!)

Thanks!