Going from a LP10 to a 162EI short - backwards step?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Post by Rover »

First, you get cleaner holes in cheap (American) targets (sometimes). If I'm having a problem with that, I put one or two used targets behind the competition target. Another solution is to tell the rangemaster to stop being so damned cheap and buy some Euro targets!

Barrel time changes (low vs. high velocity) will have NO effect; it's too short a time change. Don't believe it? Calculate it yourself.

You MAY see some change in accuracy of a particular pellet; NOT across the board. In tests with my LP1, I dropped the light pellet speed from 570 to 525. The heavy pellets dropped from 525 to 470 (not exact numbers). I did see a SMALL decrease in group size with one of the light pellets.

The faster times will show less wind deflection from the gales blowing through your indoor range.

I've always held that you should crank up the power until it ruffles the hair of the competitor next to you. It should distract him to the tune of a few points.

Bottom line....not much to worry about.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

thanks Rover
mld

Pellet Velocity

Post by mld »

Here in Canada there is also the issue of muzzle velocity; correct me if I'm wrong Canadian shooters, but an AP with a velocity in excess of 152.4 metres/sec and 5.7 j (500 feet/sec 4.2 ft/lbs) is considered to be a restricted handgun.
Dehouser

Re: Pellet Velocity

Post by Dehouser »

mld wrote:Here in Canada there is also the issue of muzzle velocity; correct me if I'm wrong Canadian shooters, but an AP with a velocity in excess of 152.4 metres/sec and 5.7 j (500 feet/sec 4.2 ft/lbs) is considered to be a restricted handgun.
Correct. You do get nice neat holes in a target at 500+ fps, though...
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey cannon-cocker, "Semper Fi." My brother was also in. He was at Khe Sanh with the four deuce mortar guys.

It's nice to know we all respect the wisdom of our brilliant politicians and their handiwork. (Heads up to those who don't know of my penchant for sarcasm.)
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

MLD - your assumption is correct, hence the need for us to be extremely careful in dealing with this topic of velocity. My 162EI is permanently modified so it will not exceed 500fps.

To respond to other posters with respect to muzzle velocity, you will likely find that if you spend some time doing group testing (from a vise, not a sandbag or other 'rest') that you will find a particular pellet that your pistol seems to like, one with which it will inherintly group well. Once you've found this pellet you can often improve group size by playing around with muzzle velocity. On my 162EI I found that its sweet spot with it's favourite pellet came at around 475-480fps. Increasing speed by even 10fps produced noticeably larger groups. I have had the same experience with all air pistols I own or have owned. My LP1 likes 495fps and will produce this velocity with incredible consistency, making groups that equal the factory test target - one hole, not even ragged.

Spend some time testing before cranking your velocity willy-nilly. Faster is not always better, and my experience to date has produced a clear bias toward lower velocity for better results.
flolo

Post by flolo »

@ mark: totally agree on getting smaller groups with lower velocity - on a vise! As the normal human being hasn' t a vise attached, things may(!) change a little. Group testing simply says that if your using a certain pellet at a set velocity in a clamped pistol, it produces a specific group. So if you' re shooting from your hand a worse grouping pellet may feel better, a higher velocity may help you to achieve smaller groupings etc. Bottom line: don't be shy of trying what helps you to achieve the highest score
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Mark if your pistols are permanently modified so they can't go over 500 fps how do you know that they don't group equally or better at a higher velocity

I tend to agree with flolo, RWS found at their test range that some world class shooters grouped on average better with their lightest pellets off hand. They surmised that it was do to the greater velocity thus less barrel time. Thes guys were shooting velocities similar to rifles in the 570-580 range.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you have your pistol set up to shoot heavy (rifle) pellets at around 525 fps, when you put in the light pellets (in a CA gun) you'll be pushing them around 570+.

Maybe they just didn't bother fooling around with different velocities in their testing. The two World Cup shooters I know sure don't mess around with that stuff.
JIMMY1988

Post by JIMMY1988 »

A man was hit by a cab in the street. He was brought to the hospital. His wife who was standing up by his bed, said to the

doctor: "I think that he is very ill." "I am afraid that he is dead."said the doctor,Hearing this, the man moved his head and

said: "I'm not dead. I'm still alive." "Be quiet, "said the wife. "the doctor knows better than you!"
Just then a voice called from outside the door, "If you do, I won't go."

Discount Coach Purses
Coach Online Outlet Store
Coach Outlet
Rover

Post by Rover »

Shut up and drink your beer!
kankn

Post by kankn »

Ads by Google
Coach outlet factory - Find your

home's value instantly. Free service. Get estimates now. - FindHomesValue.com
coach outlet- 1) Type In Someone's Name 2) Find

Their Obituary Instantly! - Obituaries.Archives.com
Coach handBags- A Lawyer Will Answer You Now!

Discuss Until You're Satisfied. - Real-Estate-Law.JustAnswer.com
Feedback