NRA Classification calculations ?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rewert

NRA Classification calculations ?

Post by rewert »

A friend and I have been discussing the calculation method for how the NRA determines when a person get reclassified. I have always thought that its based purely on meeting or exceeding an average for that class when a minimum number of shots required for that class is achieved.

My friend believes that you must meet that average in every match entered until the minimum number of shots has been achieved.

For example, lets say young Vinny who currently holds an expert classification in smallbore conventional prone shoots the following scores in 3 consecutive matches:

1) 3190 / 320 shots fired (99.68%)
2) 1590 / 160 shots fired (99.38%)
3) 3195 / 320 shots fired (99.84%)

To move up to master in conventional prone, you need a 99.5 average and 700 shots fired.

I would believe that young Vinny would move up to master since (3190 + 1590 + 3195) / 800 = 99.69% which exceeds 99.5 and he shot more that 700 shots.

My friend would claim that since the second match did not meet or exceed 99.5%, he would not move up yet, but would have 320 (from the third match) of the 700 shots required to move up.

Does anyone know for certain which is correct? Is young Vinny an expert or a newly classified master?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Congratulations to the new Master.

19.17 Reclassification
(a) A competitor who has been classified by the NRA will be reclassified upward when his average, as
computed below, places him in a higher class. The scores used for reclassification will be his recently
recorded NRA competition scores as maintained at NRA Headquarters fired subsequent to the
tournament date at which he earned his current classification. The average will be computed when the
scores for the minimum number of shots for reclassification (or more if the minimum is reached during the
scores of any tournament or league) have been posted. The competitor will be sent a new Classification
Card showing the effective date.
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

To be specific, it is the average of all the scores for at least 700 consecutive shots regardless of each aggregate. Additionally, if you shoot in a team match (for example at a regional), then those shots are also included in the rolling average.

Dennis