Les Baer hardball ammo?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bentrod

Post by bentrod »

usmcmba wrote:
hurt wrote:Out of curiosity, how much do you have to pay to get a great hardball gun, what kind groups do they shoot, and what kind of wait time is typical? Thanks, Dwaine
The "great hardball gun" out there runs around $1700 for a EIC legal 1911. Best anyone would guarantee is 3" groups at 50 yards with a 230gr FMJ. This is partly the reason why I chose the M9. A 115gr FMJ at 50 yards out of my MCP M9 shoots about an inch, and fast recovery on the rapid stage (second reason why I chose M9 over 1911).
I have one also, it took a while to get used to it but I am doing great now.

I heard Dr. Nick is getting out of the M9 business and will be working on other guns, mostly 1911's
usmcmba

Post by usmcmba »

I just talked to Dr. Nick a few weeks ago when I sent in my M9 for a tune up. It didn't seem like he was going to stop making the M9's. I think he will stop accurizing M9's or other guns sent in by customers, rather he will just sell complete guns.
rstriano

Walther GSP

Post by rstriano »

I am very new to the sport and have purchased a 1975 new condition GSP 32 and a new Les Baer. The accuracy you guys discuss is amazing. Are we talking 50 yard groups with a rest? Thanks
rstriano

Walther GSP

Post by rstriano »

I am very new to the sport and have purchased a 1975 new condition GSP 32 and a new Les Baer. The accuracy you guys discuss is amazing. Are we talking 50 yard groups with a rest? Thanks
Orion

Post by Orion »

I recently sent my M9 to Dave Salyer and had it tuned to shoot hardball matches. I'm shooting regular Winchester white box ammo and am having great results. Like some of the other posters on the site, its taking me some time to get used to, coming from a 1911, but its both cheaper to shoot and is slightly more accurate than my Baer Hardball. Shoots 1.5" with AAA Match and 2" with white box Winchester. Mr. Salyer did some great work on this guy.

Last edited by Orion on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
usmcmba

Post by usmcmba »

Orion wrote:I recently sent my M9 to Dave Salyer and had it tuned to shoot hardball matches. I'm shooting regular Winchester white box ammo and am having great results. Like some of the other posters on the site, its taking me some time to get used to, coming from a 1911, but its both cheaper to shoot and is slightly more accurate than my Baer Hardball. Shoots under 2" with AAA Match and 2.5" with white box Winchester. Mr. Salyer did some great work on this guy.

Very nice! Try the Zins 9mm ammo that should be out soon, I am sure your m9 will shoot closer to 1" with the optimal load.

David
rstriano

new shooter

Post by rstriano »

I have been shooting about 7 weeks as a new shooter. I have a Les Baer and shoot 185 grain semi wad cutters. What is a hardball ??

Any advice for not being able to focus on the sights? I wear reading glasses but not prescription. Should i just cave in and go to an ultra dot??
GOVTMODEL

Re: new shooter

Post by GOVTMODEL »

rstriano wrote:I have been shooting about 7 weeks as a new shooter. I have a Les Baer and shoot 185 grain semi wad cutters. What is a hardball ??
That is a colloquialism for "Service Pistol." See Rule 3 of the NRA Rules, and the corresponding CMP Rule for details.

rstriano wrote:Any advice for not being able to focus on the sights? I wear reading glasses but not prescription. Should i just cave in and go to an ultra dot??
You'll need a prescription for your shooting glasses just for iron sights. Your distant vision prescription plus 0.5 diopters is a good start.
rstriano

Accuracy

Post by rstriano »

Can anyone tell me if hardball ammo is just as accurate as the Nosler bullet sold in national match ammo?
rstriano

Post by rstriano »

I am having a 45 made for me by Nick Abrishamian at Moutain Competition Pistols and he is mounting an Aimpoint Micro that he says is the best. Any feedback?

PS i got the Knobloch's with a .5 and .75 lense and the sight picture is now very crisp front sight. Huge diffference in confidence.

Thanks Govt Model