Cleaning (and/or Removing!) Anschutz Match 54 extractors.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

beats

Cleaning (and/or Removing!) Anschutz Match 54 extractors.

Post by beats »

I recently purchased a second hand one that could do with a thorough cleaning. What is the best way to go about cleaning these on a Match 54 bolt?

Ideally i would like to revove them but cant find any instructions on how to do this (a youtube video would be ideal!). Are there any special tools required, or is this generally not something that is not done unless they need replacing?

I seen a posting somewhere where a guy had wrecked his old ones trying to get them out to fit new ones that he had purchased. He seemed to have attacked his by jamming a small screw driver in and wedging them out!

Surely theres a better way than that?
rayjay

Post by rayjay »

The spring loaded plungers are also the retainers. I take a tiny screwdriver and push the plunger into the bolt and then wiggle the extractor out with the other hand. It would be best to clamp the bolt body in some soft jaws in a vise. You can also launch the plunger into orbit if you are not careful.

For reinstalling just put the plunger and spring into it's hole and then use the extractor to push the plunger straight back and then push inward to seat the extractor.

It's a little bit fiddly getting them out but the reinstall is easy.

While I have the parts out I put a tiny bevel on the back edge of the plunger. I also find a drill bit that is a good fit in the plunger's hole in the bolt body and then I coat the shank of the drill bit with valve lapping compound and stroke the drill bit back and forth in the hole to smooth out the rough machining. I bevel all the edges of the actual extractors and do the same to the bolt body where the extractors fit. There are lots of sharp edges left from the machining and these edges can catch on one another causing the extractors to not work as smoothly as they are capable of.
Tzed250

Post by Tzed250 »

The extractor on my IZH35 is very similar. I removed mine with the whole assembly down inside a clear plastic bag. The plunger spring is strong and the parts are virtually unobtainable. The bag will help to contain any flying parts. I did many of the same things rayjay talked about.
beats

Post by beats »

The plastic bag idea is a very good one. Have to admit I'd never have thought of that!

Still haven't been able to figure out how to get these flippin things out though. By plunger do you mean the small part at the base of the extractors that sit in a small recess?
beats

Post by beats »

http://www.targetshooting.co.nz/ubbthre ... 4_bolt.jpg

Just found this download attached to the forum thread where i seen the pictures of the damaged extractors. I think I can now see from this picture the way these work.

If I use a small screw driver to hold the spring and the the middle bit down, the extractor should just come away from the bolt, is that right?

Thanks for your replies rayjay and Tzed250
rayjay

Post by rayjay »

The middle bit is the plunger. That screwdriver in the pic is the same one I use to push the plunger down into the bolt so I can take the extractors out. A lot of time you can 'shake' the extractor out if you have the plunger retracted enough and the screw driver isn't bearing against the extractor.

Like I said, it's a bit fiddly and it make take you a few tries until you get the hang of it.
beats

Post by beats »

Thanks again. Hopefully thats one more thing sorted now.