Are all pistol grips equal?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Grips are really the most personal part of the pistol, it is the man machine interface.

If you got your grip to fit you well, then no you wouldn't be better off.

Aftermarket stock grips MAY start off at a closer starting point to a good fit for the individual shooter and require less work to get them to a optimum fit. There are also others reasons such asthetics, nicer materials that the shooter might find important.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

my favorite grip is the stock morini on my lp 1 no other morini fits as well but Nill, now thats a great grip ( for me) . I don't like other morini, rink, or vitarbo, but all grips usually need a bit of tweaking to be a good marriage to your hand. i take my time,dermal,sand and with an electric engraver, stipple to match a touch of danish oil, and it looks as good as before I started.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You would be a rare person if grips of ANY kind fit you perfectly. Therefore, be prepared to hack and putty!

It IS a pity, since some of the grips are really pretty (and damned expensive). I guess the thing to do is start with the cheapest, rattiest grips available and tweak them endlessly.

I know that I am forever taking off a dab here or epoxying up a spot there. I also see the best shooter I know doing the same thing even though his grips are all exactly custom made.

Good luck!
munoz

Post by munoz »

I just had a new grip for my gun, but it didn't fit. : (

Post by Chris »

If you have any hesitation to modify then I would plan to purchase a replacement grip when or if you ever decide to sell. My LP1 grip from '96 is the same grip I use on my LP10 now.

I have seen too many people not want to modify a grip and I try and convince them it is OK to cut and putty.
Lanning R. Hochhauser

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

Chris, that's what I did. I bought an Arnie V grip a bit over sized and carved away until I was happy with the fit.
Lanning