Using Turkish 92F Clone for CMP Matches?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Orpanaut

Using Turkish 92F Clone for CMP Matches?

Post by Orpanaut »

CDNN is selling a Turkish copy of the Beretta 92F (not sure if it includes the "S" modification), the AT92. From what I have read, all parts interchange with the Beretta and the external appearance is identical, so it should meet CMP standards for an M9 service pistol. The trigger and guide rod are steel instead of the plastic parts now used by Beretta.

Has anyone here tried to accurize one of these to use as a hardball gun?
usmcmba

Post by usmcmba »

I understand to fully accurize a M9, they completely gut the pistol. The only original part that is not replaced is the slide and the frame. I think I would be more concerned about the quality of the frame and slide as you don't want to spend close to $2K and have a cracked frame in the future.
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

Yes, the quality of the frame and slide is the main concern.

Since I've never handled one, I don't even know if the AT92 frame is made from steel or from aluminum. I assume it's aluminum, since a steel-framed M9 would be quite heavy.
motorcycle_dan

Re: Using Turkish 92F Clone for CMP Matches?

Post by motorcycle_dan »

Orpanaut wrote:CDNN is selling a Turkish copy of the Beretta 92F
My humble opinion, the 92 is very difficult to get to shoot accurate at 50yd. The cost involved to get it accurate and keep it accurate is substantial. You can get a 1911 to shoot accurate for much less money invested. Some think the 9mm is less recoil, yes less recoil but a more sharp recoil.

So if you want to have a 9mm service pistol legal gun built it requires at least a barrel change. The frame to slide fit is somewhat important. The aluminum alloy to steel slide will wear and the well fit barrel will not last long unless you have special rails installed. Don't start the process with a cheap pistol. If you really want to save money on the build there are shops that specialize in Police turn in 92FS. Most are shot little but show much holster wear. I got mine for under $400, ugly but functional.

You'll not believe that it shoots great at 25yd but at 50yd the group will have such flyers that quite often not all shots will make the scoring rings.
NCST8

Post by NCST8 »

I have had good luck with the Berettas. I am 8 points away from Distinguished. Dave Salyer builds a very accurate Beretta with only a replacement barrel. Mine will shoot very high scores at 50. I just need to continue to improve at rapid fire. The gun is entirely capable though. I have thousands of rounds through mine, and it is still shooting great.

The Berettas have the top scores at Perry every year. So many people are shooting them that they now note the people who shoot with 1911s.

The turkish question is interesting. If you look hard enough, you will find a used Beretta that can be built for a price similar to that of a 1911 build. I saw three the other day for $349. Occasionally, I will find one for less.