Scatt vs. Noptel & Rika

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

xnoncents

Scatt vs. Noptel & Rika

Post by xnoncents »

I am seriously considering purchasing a electronic training system so I can practice 3p .22 at home (minus the live .22). One range day a week is feeling inadequate, and dry firing without a feedback result while productive, is less than satisfying.

Can anyone tell me as a user if there are any real differences between the systems, in terms of functionality, ease of use, durability and product support? Does it make sense to get a dedicated rifle for the electronic trainer, or can the sensor be set up quickly for each session time? Also, are any dealers particularly better at product support for their systems? I already have a laptop running Vista/Windows 7. Thanks for any help.
skylark

Post by skylark »

I wouldn't think you'd need a dedicated rifle. Certainly with a scatt (the only one I've used) putting the sensor on and calibrating it only takes a couple of minutes. I've done it for a whole bunch of juniors, one after the other after the other, and it wasn't onerous. It would be easier than that if you were always putting it on the same rifle - I was playing "where shall we put it this time and which attachments will we need?" with a variety of sporter and target air rifles.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

xnoncents

If you use the Search function (top of the page) and enter SCATT RIKA Noptel, all terms, you will find that this topic has been discussed many times before. I am sure that this will provide you with all the information you require.

Rutty
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As above the whole point is adding it to your competition gun, there's no point training with another gun that you won't be shooting. The scatt certainly takes a minute or so to affix the sensor and I'm pretty sure the others are similar.

Don't however think an electronic trainer will make the training a lot more interesting than dry firing. You really need to mix up training drills especially if you're getting bored with one.

Rob.
xnoncents

Post by xnoncents »

Rutty,
Thanks for pointing out the search function. What a big help, as I have a ton of other percolating questions. I don't know why my eyes/brain never focused on the small blue print. Probably why my nephews are always beating me so bad at any video games. I can never find a plasma laser rifle/rocket launcher when I need one! I should stick to analog, bearskins and stone knives.

I will wend my way through the old posts (some of which you provide deep feed back in). If I have any more focused questions I'll be back. Thanks to all.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I have the noptel, and it is easy to zero. As long as it is mechanically close you fire in calibration mode and it uses that as a zero. So it takes a minute to zero. It is also nice because there is no cable to run down range. Noptel is very easy but expensive compared to scatt.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I practice with a Rika home trainer and the feedback is beneficial. I like the ability to overlap five shots at a time. This has helped me to develop a more consistant hold and work towards smaller groups. The aim trace has also helped me to practice some of the advice my coach has lent on the lowering movement. Alternating training sessions between the Rika and a dot on the wall has helped me improve a lot in a short time.
I always have to set up my equipment before every use, but it's no problem. I've heard the newer Rika's have a battery powered target holder for quicker set up. I don't have any experience with the other electronic trainers.
nester

Re: Scatt vs. Noptel & Rika

Post by nester »

xnoncents wrote:I am seriously considering purchasing a electronic training system so I can practice 3p .22 at home (minus the live .22). One range day a week is feeling inadequate, and dry firing without a feedback result while productive, is less than satisfying.

Can anyone tell me as a user if there are any real differences between the systems, in terms of functionality, ease of use, durability and product support? Does it make sense to get a dedicated rifle for the electronic trainer, or can the sensor be set up quickly for each session time? Also, are any dealers particularly better at product support for their systems? I already have a laptop running Vista/Windows 7. Thanks for any help.
I can comment on the Scatt only, since I had no experience with other systems.
Here are some photos - quick setup in the living room once I got it: http://www.dianaserver.net/rasnoe/shooting/scatt.html
Yes, electronic trainer is the must-have. It changes "game of chance" into "game of skills" :)

About functionality, ease of use, durability and product support - generally I have no complains, might be just few very small inconveniences in the software - but since I am a software developer I might be just too picky... E.g. at each start I have to choose shooter (it doesn't remember the last one - so I'd just click "OK"), the rest is either fine, or exceeds my expectations - especially the shoot tracking part.
Havn't had any support questions.
I don't think there are would be any durability questions too - just remember that target is plastic, treat sensor as a precision optic - do not drop it, etc.
You do not need a separate rifle for it (and it's a bad idea in any case) - mounting/dismounting a sensor takes only 15 seconds - it is screwed using hex key same as the front sight. I don't even have to rezero scatt after taking the rifle to the range - only attach sensor, insert cable and done.
I use old Pentium-3 computer with Windows XP.
Don't know any dealers here - I've bought it directly from Moscow - asked my friend to buy it from the factory and ship to Canada. Total cost was below $1000 usd
xnoncents

Post by xnoncents »

Nestor, thanks for the photos and feed back. Actually, in many ways your photos are more illustrative than the Scatt web site.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Hi Nester, I must first agree with Xnoncents the photos are excellent, and without doubt show off the Scatt system better than the official site.

As they say a picture paints a thousand words.

Did you find that using the system improved your shooting, if so how
Thanks
nester

Post by nester »

GaryD wrote:Hi Nester, I must first agree with Xnoncents the photos are excellent, and without doubt show off the Scatt system better than the official site.

As they say a picture paints a thousand words.

Did you find that using the system improved your shooting, if so how
Thanks
Sure, glad my "review" was usefull!

I can't say I improved dramatically, but since I got it this February I had only 60 training sessions (most of them are 10 shots), and in this year I had only 12 live ammo sessions (440 scoring shots in total) - and all of them were competitions.
My average live ammo was 92%, now with Scatt it is 97%
I've also got the shooting jacket this summer, but actually havn't find the position yet - too many options and features. With Scatt I see that my hold is worse than before, but scores went up.

electronic trainer itself would not make shoot better, but it greatly simplifies the range access and provides feedback (e.g. I saw that despite my scores went up, my hold becomes worse - so now I know what to look for..)
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Thanks Nester for the quick reply.

It seems strange that your scores have gone up but your hold has deteriated somewhat.

To put you on the spot a little bit, would you buy the Scatt system again.

The reason that I am asking is that I am seriously thinking about getting the Scatt for myself
nester

Post by nester »

GaryD wrote:Thanks Nester for the quick reply.

It seems strange that your scores have gone up but your hold has deteriated somewhat.

To put you on the spot a little bit, would you buy the Scatt system again.

The reason that I am asking is that I am seriously thinking about getting the Scatt for myself
Yes, it sounds strange - but I think this happens because before I was more dedicated to the training and put much greater efforts (especially mental) into it.
E.g. was shooting with me left hand completely numb as wooden (without shooting jacket - in the winter coat and sling without sling holder just tightly tied on the bicep) - it gives really good support, but after 30 minutes I couldn't even dismount the rifle - just droped it and crawled out..

About Scatt - 100% postitive - would buy it again.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have had all three. I started with the RIKA. I used it myself and we used it some for our jr. club. The Rika claims to be able to also respond to cant variations. This was its downfall for me. Basically the zero would drift all over as cant varied. I did not have much trouble with it but using it with juniors who's position is not as consistant the thing was not at all useable. Also, it is very hard to use in prone.

I currently have both a scatt and a noptel. I think I like the noptel best since it does not have wires down range. It is very easy to use with live fire out to 50'. Also very easy to use in prone.

I picked up a Scatt for use with our club. Also very good but having gotten used to the Noptel's lack of wires I think I tend to still like the Noptel better.