From right to left hand

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Grzegorz

From right to left hand

Post by Grzegorz »

I need a help... Do you remember the story about USA high level pistol shooter who had accident and could not continue shooting with his right hand. He switched to the left hand, practiced and reurned back on a very high level (if I remember corretly - even olympic level)?

As a shooter, I prepare answer for Polish newspaper concerning lefthanded people - based on sport shooting as an example. Need a help ... today... Anybody could give me any info? If I remember it was described by Lanny Bassham in his book "With winning in mind", but a book is ... 600 km from me... Sorry, I bother you, but still a little spark of hope you help me...

Grzegorz (Poland)
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Takács Károly, Hungarian rapid fire pistol shooter, double Olympic Champion (London, 1948 and Helsinki, 1952). After incidental grenade explosion in 1938 resulted right arm amputation becomed disabled left arm shooter.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

Thank you very much! Great example!
Grzegorz
2650 Plus

RIGHT HAND, LEFT HAND

Post by 2650 Plus »

Harry Reaves, many times US national champ was reputed to have broken 2600 NRA three gun with both hands [One at a time]Lennon Trueblood arny SFC , had his right hand and wrist break up probably because of too much hard ball Switched hands and was a firing member of the winning service pistol team match at Camp Perry. He commented to me, You dont shoot with your hand, you shoot with your mind.There are probably many more but these examples are the only ones familar to me, Good Shooting Bill Horton
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

I believe Adam Sokolowski is 2640+ with each hand.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

Thank you very much for all examples. August 13 is "a day of lefthanded people" in Poland (maybe also elsewhere, I do not know). "My shooter" (Adam Gladyszewski, member of the Polish national team in rifle) is lefthanded, BUT he shoots in classic right position. His official personal best in 50m rifle prone is 597+104,2. As a young boy he started his adventure in shooting with... my equipment (I am righthanded) because there was not any other in our club, and growing he continued in the right position. Journalist who is preparing her article for August 13, asked him for interview. That is the reason, why we needed the info.

BTW, I ask myself if I did correctly not switching him to the left hand position when he started to shoot on 590 level. Maybe I did wrong... or... Yeah... I am not sure up to now... Difficult problem to me...

Thank you very much again!
Grzegorz
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

If it helps, I was shooting 540+ in air pistol two years ago (stopped shooting for more than 20 yrs. I'm 60) when right shoulder went bad, "worn out", like the doctor said. Moved to left arm, in 2 months was shooting the same.

Bad news is that left shoulder didn't like the idea, since I had a partially ruptured tendon. Moved to radio controlled gliders...
fsoko

Right and Left Hand pistol shooting

Post by fsoko »

My brother Adam is 2650+ with both left and right hand in NRA bullseye pistol. Took alot of dry-firing to build muscle memory after tendon strain caused tremors in his right hand. I think he also trained with his left eye as well, instead of using dominant right eye. Currently has no issues with either hand and switches back and forth regularly. Amazing, but it's definitely possible when needed. We shot together this year at Camp Perry on the two man team and he shot .22 right handed and .45 left handed. We had fun and named ourselves the "Polish Commando's". Attached a photo with me my father and younger brother Adam.
Attachments
Frank Jr, Frank Sr, and Adam Sokolowski
Frank Jr, Frank Sr, and Adam Sokolowski
john bickar

Re: Right and Left Hand pistol shooting

Post by john bickar »

fsoko wrote:My brother Adam is 2650+ with both left and right hand in NRA bullseye pistol.
I was pretty sure he was 2650+ with each hand but I could only recall seeing 2640+. I stand corrected.

Anyhow, that kid can flat-out shoot.

Notwithstanding the fact that none of us are kids anymore ;)