Looking for some information on boots for 3P

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TraLfaz

Looking for some information on boots for 3P

Post by TraLfaz »

I am hoping that my 14 year old's feet have stopped growing (size 13.5???) so I think that it may be time to go ahead and buy him a pair of boots for 3P. I am really hesitant to purchase his first pair of boots over the internet, sight unseen. We have to be in Columbus, OH in two weeks so I was thinking about stopping by Champion Shooters to see what they have. Can somebody who knows about boots take a look at these and let me know what you think?

http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 265&page=1

Also, am I wrong in being too hesitant to purchase online? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

TraL
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I know nothing about shooting rifle and less about the quality of specific items of kit.
If they're wanted for ISSF though you must consider whether they will pass the ISSF flexibility test.
The testing rigs are few and far between at the moment but I would imagine they will become more common in time (unless the rules change again in 2013).
There's also the normal walking requirement to consider.
TraLfaz

Post by TraLfaz »

David, thanks for the PDF file. One quick question, do most well known companies boots meet the requirements for the ISSF?
Luke Duncan

Champion Shooters Boots

Post by Luke Duncan »

I would highly recommend that you do not purchase these brand of championshooter's boots. I own a pair, and they lasted me less than two years. The traction underneath did not exist, and was so poor that it slipped on any dirt or sand. Also, the brackets for the shoe laces are a pain to replace, and I have been unsuccessful in replacing my single one that broke. My brother also had a pair, but his were a different model (though we both supposedly ordered the same thing"). These boots did have proper traction. The point being, you are gambling when you buy these boots. The latter pair is now worn by our younger brother, and my pair are sitting in storage, for now useless. Although other boots are expensive, I would recommend one of two boot choices. Champion's Choice sells ANS-STENVAAG STRONG shooting boots, they are high quality, I have seen them used successfully and without complaint by a shooter I know. However, the price is very high at $225. The second choice, and the one that both me and my brother use, are the Kusterman boots sold my Monard USA. They sell for 190, and have superb ankle and foot support. It feels that you have a brace supporting your ankle, and they are also quick to lace up when taken on and off between target changes. You can then order boot trees from championshooters for 34. Overall, the total price for boots will run over 200, but the boots will last many years. I didn't enjoy spending over 200 dollars, but after my first experience with boots, I didn't want to risk buying another cheep pair.

http://www.shop.monard.biz/
TraLfaz

Post by TraLfaz »

Hi Luke,

A few quick questions for you:

1) Are these the boots that you are talking about?
http://www.shop.monard.biz/product.sc?productId=41

2) Did you have any problem with purchasing boots online? I really don't want to spend $200 for a pair of boots that don't fit.

Thanks
Luke Duncan

Correct Boots

Post by Luke Duncan »

Those are the boots I am referring too. I did not notice that the price went up by twenty dollars. I would recommend that you personally call and order from Monard, rather than order online.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

TraLfaz wrote:David, thanks for the PDF file. One quick question, do most well known companies boots meet the requirements for the ISSF?
I can't help on that I'm afraid.

Maybe you could make it a condition of any purchase that the boots must be capable of passing the test (and all other ISSF rules).
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

David Levene wrote:
TraLfaz wrote:David, thanks for the PDF file. One quick question, do most well known companies boots meet the requirements for the ISSF?

Maybe you could make it a condition of any purchase that the boots must be capable of passing the test (and all other ISSF rules).
I was in Munich where the new test machine was in use and the shooters I was with all passed (rifle and pistol). It was suggested that the corami's were the stiffest, again for both disciplines, and to the best of my knowledge they passed ok.

I would suggest you don't worry too much about stiffness testing. Get the boots which are meant for ISSF rifle and you should be OK. As David says the test machines are few and far between right now, and currently have just been used at the major international championships. You can generally flex them if you really needed to to reduce the sole stiffness.

Rob.
xnoncents

Post by xnoncents »

I have the Anschutz Stenvagg boot, bought from Champions Shooters, excellent boot. While I have not bought any of Champions Shooters in house brand boots, I do have numerous Freeland/Champion Shooters clothing items bought when I started shooting. Most of their in house clothing in general, is of really spotty construction, from a fit, finish and materials standpoint. Also, several items have not held up well. Their shooting under ware lasted 3 shooting sessions. As a company they are really nice to deal with, and they took back defective items, and items that did not fit. Only you can decide whether it is worth the time hassle to go through that process. They are less expensive. If your son keeps growing (which he probably will since he is only 14) then the financial equation becomes stickier. If you buy a quality product, and don't badly mistreat it it has some resale value as well (unfortunately, clothing less than hardware). Good luck.
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

I did equipment control for 3p JO's this year and by far these are the worst boots that I saw. Several that came through had issues passing, more than any other brand.The soles also don't stay flat very long. And when they curl up they do it in a big way. Save your money in the long run and get the name brands KT, ANS, and Sauer.
Colin

Post by Colin »

David Levene wrote:

The rate that the ISSF are changing the rules at moment I don't think any retailer could guarantee that one David
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

New boots out of the box DO NOT pass! In order to make them pass they need to be flexed, i.e., worn and walked in. Of course, this is contrary to the advice given to shooters for years. Walking will ultimately cause the toes to turn up which reduces the contact with the floor. It is probably more important than ever to use boot trees to keep the sole flat when not in use.
Some have cut the soles, and others have drilled small holes in the area of the ball of the foot to allow more flexibility. DO NOT cut or drill all the way through the sole.
randy1952

Re: Looking for some information on boots for 3P

Post by randy1952 »

TraLfaz wrote:I am hoping that my 14 year old's feet have stopped growing (size 13.5???) so I think that it may be time to go ahead and buy him a pair of boots for 3P. I am really hesitant to purchase his first pair of boots over the internet, sight unseen. We have to be in Columbus, OH in two weeks so I was thinking about stopping by Champion Shooters to see what they have. Can somebody who knows about boots take a look at these and let me know what you think?

http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 265&page=1

Also, am I wrong in being too hesitant to purchase online? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

TraL

Our club has used both the AHG and Sauer boots and the Sauer boots are far superior in wear, support and fit. I have seen the lower end KT boots used by the kids at the Junior Olympics and they aren't any better quality then the AHG boots. If your worried about a dealer ripping off I think overall the dealers in the community usually treat their customers fair. We have been to almost all the dealers and they all have been pretty fair except one. Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service has been the one we have been dealing mostly with now days. Since, he doesn't use credit cards he'll ship you the product first and then you just send him a check. It will give you time to check out the product before you make the final commitment. He deals with all the shooting equipment and cloths, except Mondard. For that we have been dealing with Mondard out of Colorado Springs.
TraLfaz

Post by TraLfaz »

Thanks for all of the replies. I did not think that it would be this hard to choose a pair of boots. We have been purchasing most of our equipment from Champion Shooters and they have treated us well so I think that my first choice is to purchase the ANS-STENVAAG STRONG boots from Champion Shooters. My main problem now is that he wears a size 13.5 shoe and that seems to be the biggest size that many of the manufactures make. I guess another question would be is where do we purchase a size 14 or 15 (or even a 16) if he continues to grow?

Thanks again.
skylark

Post by skylark »

I just asked an international judge this same question (my daughter's aged boots aren't going to pass the new sole bending test, and since they are 8 years older than she is she probably deserves a new pair) and he didn't have any "don't buy"s.

He did comment that it's more of an issue with the little sizes, so hopefully you'll have less of a problem than others might...
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

skylark wrote:
I just asked an international judge this same question (my daughter's aged boots aren't going to pass the new sole bending test, and since they are 8 years older than she is she probably deserves a new pair) and he didn't have any "don't buy"s.

He did comment that it's more of an issue with the little sizes, so hopefully you'll have less of a problem than others might...
I'd be surprised if the older boots weren't softer from use than the newer ones, so I'd caution binning them without testing them. And of course the testers are rare at the minute.

He's right with regards the smaller sizes as physics means there's less of a lever effect with the small boots. That said and as mentioned above, it's possible to score the soles to make them more flexible across the sole.

Rob.