Web slings for smallbore

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

10 meter fan

Web slings for smallbore

Post by 10 meter fan »

I noticed that Sergei Martynov, who accounts for a third of all perfect prone scores ever shot at an international level, seems to be using some sort of web sling. Does a specialized smallbore web sling have any advantage over a modern synthetic sling?
I noticed the (service-rifle type) web sling I have gives me less movement due to pulse than a normal military sling, but I haven't really had a chance to use a good synthetic sling.

Also, can the type of sling he uses still be bought today or is it just an old Soviet-era item?

Thanks,
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Not seen another like it.
Suspect it to be an old one. From the photos I've seen he's not exactly a gadget junky. Uses an older Anschutz with the older style Anschutz butt hooks.

Given that people all around him shoot comparable scores, I wouldn't say there's any inherent advantage to it over synthetics. I expect you could get one today if you wanted to make one yourself, pay a seamstress, or indeed I imagine there are a few 2-point versions in that webbing material available for hunters that could be modified to single point.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Martynov isn't the only shooter to use one. Artem Khedjibekov and Yuri Shcherbatsevich, and I think Petr Litvinchuk all use a very similar canvas sling.

I think the sling is an old Soviet relic. It clearly works for Sergei and a few others but I suspect that's what they have always used; you don't see any shooters from outside the old Soviet Union using one.
xnoncents

Post by xnoncents »

There is an off handed reference to his soviet era sling in 'The ways of the rifle' 2009 version. Something about them being 'old' and specially made. Maybe some secret voodoo inside, probably they are just comfortable with them?
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

I believe Mitch Maxbury won a few National Championships using a regular army $10.00 web sling. They work, especially with kids.
Chris
Flashmo

Post by Flashmo »

Use a synthetic sling, because they do not stretch. The last issue you need to deal with is the collapse of your position over the course of a relay in 3P...let alone while shooting a full prone match.
Barney

Post by Barney »

The Mec/Centra sling is synthetic and it still stretches, so much so the buckle constantly streches it tearing through the holes.
I have lost count the number of times I have patched it up.
That being said it is still a great sling.
They just need to make it out of the same stuff Kurt Thune use, the last KT one I bought was 8 yrs ago and is still going strong.
As for the webing type sling, if it stretches at all I dont think Sergei Martynov would still be using it.
sbanik

Where can I buy this sling.

Post by sbanik »

Any idea where can I buy this similar sling that Martynov uses?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

You can't, it was an old soviet era domestic item. However get a length of canvas webbing (max 40mm width), and you can make your own.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Have you guys seen these? Click products, "The Right Sling"

http://www.stallingsmachine.com/