AP training

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gn303

AP training

Post by gn303 »

The Canadian sport shooting web site (http://www.targetshooting.ca) proposes an Air Pistol training schedule from 'Holding exercises', by 'Dry firing' to 'Finals training'. One of the exercises is shooting on a 'Half size target'. I understand that the black is only half the full size target. I guess I understand the words but could someone explain what the goal is of this kind of exercise?

Much obliged,
Guy
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

First thing that is a private web site and not the web site for Canadian Shooting Sports Association (the CSSA) or the Shooting Federation of Canada (SFC). Many think this and start asking him about CSSA or SFC business.

If your talking about the LF4 exercise in the live fire section, its talking about just using the center patch on a 25m target. The black would be the same size. Can't really see the value in this especially if you use a sub-six hold cause chances are you wont have a white area to hold against.

I'll talk to Patrick when he gets back from Brazil, it might have been there for some reason but as of now I couldn't tell you why. I've trained and coached with him can't say we've used that one that I remember.
gn303

AP training

Post by gn303 »

Indeed Richard, that is the exercise I'm talking about. I think you have a point: when aiming at a reduced black target, you get a totally different image, especially using a sub 6-hold. I would be very interested to know about the original idea for this training.
Thank you for your effort.
Guy
Patrick Haynes

Meaning of LF4

Post by Patrick Haynes »

Hi folks.

Back from the World Military Games in Brazil. Spent the weekend watching the Canadian Modern Pentahlon Championship, specifically the Combined Event, with Richard, and he never mentioned this question. What a bum!

When you look at these exercises (http://www.targetshooting.ca/train_genex.htm), it gives a description and a goal. All training should have an identified purpose. The live fire exercises are progressive, working from no aiming point without time constraints (zero to little anxiety), up to delivering a shot on a regulation target with somewhat reduced time constraints (mild to medium anxiety).

With the case of LF4 [Live fire, shooting against a "paster" target (target is roughly half diameter of regular target). ], you're working on holding and releasing a shot in relation to a fixed point. Technically, this is similar to competition shooting, except that we've reduced the reference point by 50%, making it unlikely that you'll judge your results to a competition (scoreable) outcome. You're directed to work on pure performance basis.

From a technical standard, it is identical to shooting on a regulation target (hold, sight alignment, maintaining consistent sight picture [not about duplicating competition sight picture], smooth release, follow through) except that we've changed the visual setup, which may redirect your mental perception of the activity. You switch from deliberately attempting to punch 10s and focus on the technical performance of one shot. When you progress to a regulation target, one hopes that the technique and mindset developed in the previous exercises carries over.

And, as the goal states, it changes the tone and pace of training, to keep you mentally engaged.

Hope that helps.
Patrick
gn303

AP training

Post by gn303 »

Thank you Patrick (and Richard).
This explains how to handle and how to interpret this exercise.
Regards,
Guy