.38 Special Loads

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
william

.38 Special Loads

Post by william »

I know this is a very old general topic, but I'm looking for specific information:

What loads have delivered best accuracy in S&W Model 14 / K38 revolvers (personal experience please, not gossip)?

I have a lifetime supply of Federal SP primers and 3 lifetime's supply of Federal brass. Everything else is open to suggestion.

Hollow base wadcutters? Bevel base? Cast? Swaged? 158 gr semiwadcutters?

I have no loyalty to any powder except that I would obviously prefer cleaner burning to filthy-dirty as long as accuracy isn't compromised.

I'm posting this here and not in the Bullseye forum because I don't care what happens beyond 25 yards; any "long line" data would only be a distraction. I know there are advantages to .32 S&WL, but I'm not feeling like spending the bucks right now. Thanks in advance.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

William,
I've been using, for over fifty years, the old standby, 2.7gr.. Bullseye, originally, behind my hand cast 141gr.WC (Lyman 358495).and later, for easier loading, 150gr. BBWC (Lyman 358091) For many years I used home made 50/50 Alox-Beeswax lube, but switched to a hard lube, various brands, in a heated sizer, (less messy, especially in warm weather), with no loss in accuracy. I've used a single stage press, and Star progressive, but now use a Dillon SDB. My pistols have included S&W Mod.10's, 14's, and 27's.

Bullet alloy is 30-1 lead-tin, NO WHEEL WEIGHTS.
This is the load I presently shoot, for Int. Center Fire, in my 6" four screw K-38 with Arnie Vitarbo grips. Ten shot Ransom Rest groups at 25yds. have averaged about 1-1/2".

Paul
GOVTMODEL

Re: .38 Special Loads

Post by GOVTMODEL »

william wrote: What loads have delivered best accuracy in S&W Model 14 / K38 revolvers (personal experience please, not gossip)?

I have a lifetime supply of Federal SP primers and 3 lifetime's supply of Federal brass. Everything else is open to suggestion.

Hello, William,

Try the Hornady .38-148 HBWC over 2.7 grains of Bullseye.

Shoots well in my S&W K-38 Heavyweight Masterpiece-

Richard
jbshooter

Grip suggestion

Post by jbshooter »

Have you changed the grip to one from say Nill grips. they certainly enhance the shooting pleasure. I have a Bowlers grip (from UK) on mine - it's perfect. I have also got a Nill grip but it sits higher up the butt which in turn forces your trigger finger up against the top of the trigger lever instead of in the curve. The Bowlers grip is lower but I don't think you can get them any more.
william

Post by william »

Thank you,jbs, and pardon the perhaps tart reply. I'm not looking to enhance my shooting pleasure; I'm looking to enhance my shooting success. Yes, I have replaced the grip with a beautiful Randall Fung unit that welds the gun very repeatably to my hand. I've also made sure the revolver is mechanically as good as it can be.

That leaves only 2 possible places for improvement: the ammunition and the shooter, and for right now the former looks easier short term project.

While we're going off on grip related tangents, 2 stories are worth repeating. One is to be found on Igor's blog, I think originally from Anatoliy Piddubny. This one is from personal experience. During a range session with Massad Ayoob, the class was taught Weaver, Isosceles and some other hold technique. I found the Weaver by far the most comfortable, but my sight alignment was best and the resulting groups smallest with the less comfortable Isosceles. When I made that observation to Mas, he replied something to the effect of: "Would you rather be comfortable or hit your target?" There was no need for me to answer, was there?
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Just had a look at their website. I'd never heard of them before. Very nice.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Sorry, I also thought you were talking single-handed issf-style shooting. I've just found out what Weaver and Isosceles positions are.
william

Post by william »

The query is entirely to do with International Center Fire. The story was only to illustrate how overrated shooting pleasure can be if it doesn't directly yield improved technique = improved scores.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi William, I have used the H&G 50 148 gr loaded with 2.7 gr Bullseye
since 1974, in my Colt Trooper for center fire. This is a classic, very accurate
load for revolvers since ..I don't know when. The HBWC is used primarily
for autoloaders. I've used HBWCs too, but I prefer the H&G 50 for reloading ease. I get my 45ACP and 38 bullets from Mat Dardas:

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm5/me ... _Code=38WC

Best of luck for you;

Tony
Rover

Post by Rover »

Every gun likes something different.

I've found that the swaged wadcutters put out by Speer and Hornaday to be very uniform.

I would buy a bulk box (500) and try several different fast pistol (or shotgun) powders. If you don't get what you lke, try a different brand of bullets with the same powders. I wouldn't concern myself too much with different primers.

A Ransom Rest is a wonderful thing.
william

Post by william »

Rover, thanks for nothing. It's true: "Every gun likes something different." It's also true that S&W Model 14s have very consistent barrels. That's why I asked for other shooters to share their personal favorites. It's also why replies like Paul's are particularly useful. Life is too short to spend reinventing the wheel.

A ransom Rest IS a wonderful thing. Learning from others' experience is more wonderful.
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

My longtime load has been 2.7 Bullseye pushing an ancient H&G #244 148 gr wadcutter - the mould is a 4 hole with San Diego stamps and Jim Gibbs told me that it had to have been made prior to 1944 - and still going strong into the 21st century. The 1976 K (M14-2) -when last in the Ransom Rest produced a 0.6 inch group for all 6 holes, and an astonishing 0.35 inch hole from the #4 chamber. At 25 yards, of course. It is still one of my favorite centrefire guns but it doesn't get out to play too often anymore.

Cheers -- Dr Jim