match shooting

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SMBeyer

match shooting

Post by SMBeyer »

I have read lately several people say that they weren't going to shoot matches until they were better or can shoot certain scores. I would like to invite, urge and suggest to all shooters that aren't shooting matches to get out there and shoot! Our sport needs you no matter what score you are capable of shooting. I recall one shooter saying that maybee when he hits 550 (AP) he will shoot matches. If that was at my local club there would only be 1 or 2 guys there and that wouldn't be much of a match.

I understand if you haven't ever shot a match that it can be intimidating but I have yet to go to a new place and not have the people be anything but nice. You seem to meet the nicest people with guns in their hands! You also might find that you can learn a lot by getting out there and rubbing elbows with the other shooters that are trying to better themselves just like you are.

Just one word of caution... it is very addicting! So for the sake of our sport, no matter what disciplin, try to get out there and shoot some matches. Scott
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Good post Scott, and I totally agree. I never understand why people don't just go and shoot matches early. You need to learn and train matches just as much as you need to learn the techniques of shooting. It is far better to shoot matches and improve in them than to wait until you shoot score x in the club and then go to a match. You will almost certainly underperform at that match and in a number of cases, I've seen that put people off shooting matches again.

Rob.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I've not shot at a match yet, but it's only because there's not a lot going on in my neck of the woods. Provided it's not cancelled due to the director's illness, I fully intend to shoot the November 'hibernation match' at my local club. Just became a member last week and shot again tonight, and must say it's an enjoyable experience sharing this sport with other folks. As you say, lots of friendly spirits about and a general willingness to help each other. I hope to find time to travel to a few matches next year, but that will depend on my working life. Scores won't have anything to do with it. I'm happy to be on-track with that aspect after 7 months of shooting 10m AP, with a couple of 553's and a bunch in the 540's giving me at least some assurance of tolerable match results. Just have to persist in isolating sight and trigger elements in training and the odd flier will take care of itself. I expect the small fees for competitions will be well worth the return in camaraderie and the opportunity to see other shooters in action.
trevorw

Post by trevorw »

I shoot all matches at our club even if I'm not that good at the moment the difference is in the past I shot one handed and still do everyone else is shooting two handed and/or with red dot sights.

They ask me why I shhot one handed and I say when I'm as good as you are by shooting one handed no red dots just imagine where I'll be when I switch.

Personal preference mainly
bytee

Post by bytee »

There is another way of looking at this question and I appreciate it may be a little unpopular. To me it seems clear that if a new shooter goes out and shoots a match whenever they visit the range, then they are spending all their time practising the match and no time training for the match. They may well be just blasting ammo down the range and doing nothing more than practising their mistakes. I don't shoot many 'matches' but you will find me on the range doing training drills. I think it's great that you want to encourage the new shooters to be as involved as possible, but if you honestly want them to develop as shooters and advance as far as they can, then you should really have your club coach or other experienced shooters help them to recognise what constitutes good technique and teach them how to train towards getting this good technique happening consistently on the line. I'm no champion but I have heard many times that champions work hard in training so that they can work easy in competitions.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

bytee wrote:There is another way of looking at this question and I appreciate it may be a little unpopular. To me it seems clear that if a new shooter goes out and shoots a match whenever they visit the range, then they are spending all their time practising the match and no time training for the match.
I think you missunderstand, by 'match' we mean competition. No one is suggesting going to the club, shooting 60-shots and going home. This is about going to competitions when you can and training as normal in the club.

Rob.