Target height for A-51?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

xnoncents

Target height for A-51?

Post by xnoncents »

Hello Folks,
Can anyone tell me what is the accepted practice for mounting height of the center line of the sighter bulls on the 50 meter ISU adjusted to 50 Yd. target in ISSF rules? I read somewhere that height was .75 meters to center of target, but is that the sighter bulls, or the the first record bulls?

I would like to build proper targets for our local range for people who may want to get serious about 3p shooting, and it would be nice to get it right the second time. (All the current targets are 72" to the top edge, way too high I think)
randy1952

Re: Target height for A-51?

Post by randy1952 »

xnoncents wrote:Hello Folks,
Can anyone tell me what is the accepted practice for mounting height of the center line of the sighter bulls on the 50 meter ISU adjusted to 50 Yd. target in ISSF rules? I read somewhere that height was .75 meters to center of target, but is that the sighter bulls, or the the first record bulls?

I would like to build proper targets for our local range for people who may want to get serious about 3p shooting, and it would be nice to get it right the second time. (All the current targets are 72" to the top edge, way too high I think)
For single bull targets it is .75 meters from the center of target, but for multi-bull target .75 meter in the middle of the paper.
xnoncents

Post by xnoncents »

Thanks a lot. I'll get the saw running.
randy1952

Target

Post by randy1952 »

xnoncents wrote:Thanks a lot. I'll get the saw running.
If you read the rules (6.3.9) there is a plus or minus .5m for hanging a 50 meter target that is alot room for adjustment, so you don't have to be exact just as long as the targets are all the same height.
RobStubbs

Re: Target

Post by RobStubbs »

randy1952 wrote:
xnoncents wrote:Thanks a lot. I'll get the saw running.
If you read the rules (6.3.9) there is a plus or minus .5m for hanging a 50 meter target that is alot room for adjustment, so you don't have to be exact just as long as the targets are all the same height.
But if you're starting from scratch, best to go for the specified height. If nothing else it will be the same, or close, to most other ranges, especially when they move up and shoot international.

Rob.
Ray Odle

Post by Ray Odle »

I probably don't need to mention this, but the measurement in taken from the firing line elevation. Since many American ranges have elevated firing points with rear sloping concrete, the current target stands may be within specs. My only advise to building new target stands would be to build the frame wide with replaceable slat to hold the targets. Narrow prone target frames will get shot up from the standing position in a high wind.
xnoncents

Post by xnoncents »

You raise good points. I have always assumed that because the Empire State Games smallbore 3p was held at our range that the actually firing points did not have significant elevation discrepancies from the target points, however I will bring in an optical transit level to confirm. And for good measure (forgive the pun), a surveyors tape to check distance. You are right, might as well get it correct this time out. Thanks for the tips.