10 m air pistol and other sports

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dghervase

10 m air pistol and other sports

Post by dghervase »

I would be interested to hear some opinions related to the matter whether one can compete/train in other sports while also competing/training in the 10 m air pistol.

Read a book recently and the author was strongly against practicing sports like tennis, basseball, table tennis if you train for pistol shooting. The problem was that it increases wrist mobility.

I compete as an amateur in golf and 10 m pistol shooting as I think these disciplines are similar in some aspects. Not sure if this is advisable but would love to hear some opinions on this matter. TY
j-team

Post by j-team »

I think it will only be a problem if you think it will.

For most of the last 25 years I've been a shooter, but in the last 2 years I have played more squash than I have shot pistols.

Currently I'm playing squash 3-4 times a week and shooting only a couple of times a month (I used to shoot 3-4 times a week). I have not noticed any negative effects on my pistol shooting, in fact, I am fitter now at 43 years of age than I was 10-15 years ago when I was most active in shooting. I also think that my core strength and stability is better (for shooting) because of the squash.

Didn't Ragnar Skanakar play a lot of tennis during the time he dominated free and air pistol shooting?

On the flipside, I think that years of competitive pistol shooting has helped my squash, especially when I have a "pressure" match at a tournament!
philip_T

Wrist mobility

Post by philip_T »

It would seem logical that any wrist exercise would increase wrist
strength and stability. Karate improved my breathing, stability, and
steadiness, posture, strength, recovery, etc. Using the wrist
should help not hinder in most cases.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The most intense shooter I know does yoga, swims, and gets a lot of exercise.

I do many 16 ounce curls and whine a lot.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Complete BS
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Yuryev's book came out against weightlifting, but recommended walking, swimming, and other such sports.

Me? I do karate twice a week.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I use 10lb kettle bells held like a pistol grip for various lengths of hold and various reps. Ranging from about 3 seconds to 8 seconds, and 10 reps to 25 reps, depending on how I'm feeling. Seems to be gradually building my shoulder stability. I also use these for various flies and extensions and also use a pair of 35lb dumbells for some of that. I've only seen improvement in my scores since starting this routine, with my arc of sight movement plainly reducing month by month, so I doubt that exercises besides just holding up a pistol are likely to do harm.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'm guessing the author did not practice those sports. I would suggest the opposite and that hand / racket / bat sports are good for the wrist as it strengthens it. Also mobility is equally good, we are not trying to develope a stiff wrist but one that we can control and if you like 'lock'.

Rob.