BAIKAL IZH-MP532 Questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ON_THE_EDGE

BAIKAL IZH-MP532 Questions

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

I have wanted to try 10 meter shooting for some time now, so this past Fall I purchased an IZH-46M pistol and have fallen in love with it. I am sure there are better shooting pistols out there, but when I look at the price tags, I cannot justify that expenditure until my skill level exceeds the capabilities of the 46M.

I also want to try 10 meter rifle and will likely buy one this Fall. I am seriously considering my 46M's big brother, the IZH-MP532. Do any of you have experience with this rifle? I am having difficulty finding any meaningful information about it. Is the quality up to the 46M? Is the accuracy on par with other SSP rifles? Are there other SSP rifles available (new)?
ON_THE_EDGE

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

Do you mean to tell me that no one here owns or has experience with this rifle?
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Quite possibily it's not imported into the States---????? "Doc"
philip_T

Izh mp532

Post by philip_T »

Airguns of Arizona has the rifle listed. I also have been trolling the net
to find info. I may buy the rifle in a month or two. A bit expensive
but like the pistol it may be a good shooter. I have an Izzy 46m and
mine had the air leak problem (now fixed). I hope the rifle is better. Probably a strict paper puncher.
ON_THE_EDGE

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

Well, if you do get one, please let us know what you think. I live just a couple of hours north of you and it would be worth the drive down to check it out.
drphysic

IZH MP-532

Post by drphysic »

I had one, from the first importing some years ago, and found it an interesting gun. My only issue with it was the rear sight, it is just not up to the quality of other SSPs for example. It is very similar to the sight on the 46M pistol, but has limited adjustment. Mine also had the stock split at the pistol grip, while it was in its case, which seems to be a regular problem with the non-laminated stock. Did not come apart, there are two dowels used to strengthen the obviously weak spot, but was troublesome for me. I sold mine this spring, and am shooting a FWB700 Univ.
ON_THE_EDGE

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

Your issues, especially the rear sight, may be why so few seem to have them. From what few photos I have seen, the sight looks to be the same mechanism as the 46M with the notch replaced by the aperature mount.

Since I am not likely to compete in the Olympics I could have probably lived with that, but knowing I would likely have to replace the stock makes it somewhat undesirable unless I were to find one at a real good price.

How well did it function and shoot?
drphysic

Post by drphysic »

Its accuracy was about the same as the 46M pistol, no surprise, so it was acceptable for standing, at least at my level. My shooting friend has just bought a FWB 601, awaiting delivery, for less than the new price of a 532, which given the better sights, better and more adjustable stock, and better support for FWB, would seem to be a better solution. Will add another note after we have had a chance to shoot it.
drphysic

Post by drphysic »

We've had the FWB601 for several weeks now, and while we have been focused on Senior Olympics, we did do some shooting with it. It is certainly heavier than the MP-532, even without the muzzle weights, but the stock and sights are much superior, the MP-532 does not have an adjustable cheekpiece. Without doing even minimal pellet testing, using R-10s, accuracy is similar or a little better, but most of all, the trigger is significantly better. Similar in action to my 700, so I think this will be a great training rifle, but I expect my friend to replace it with a PCP if he decides to get serious in rifle. Because of the trigger, it scores better than the IZH...
ON_THE_EDGE

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

I appreciate your posting this info. I had been leary of getting one primarily because I could not find any information about it and I was not comfortable with the sight setup.

Recently, I have been considering a FWB 601 and the comparison is very useful. I really like my 46M, but like you said, for the same amount of money you can purchase a better rifle.

Thanks!