ammo for practice

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

firefirst

ammo for practice

Post by firefirst »

I shoot CCI SV in my MKIII 5.5 slab side, Comp target, Today I shot 555 Win HV bulk ammo and at 25 yds it shot just as good s CCI, Also RWS,Wolf, SK, and the rest of the high dollar ammo, I can not or am not good enough to tell any difference. In my long gun (22) I can keep 10 shots in less then 1/2 in at 50 yds CCI SV and some but not all of the better ammo and the bulk 1 in at 50 yds any help? On why bulk shoots as good as the better ammo
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you're happy with the accuracy and price, use it!

Price doesn't tell you about accuracy, your gun does.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

Our winter bullseye matches are shot at 50 ft. indoor ranges. i bench tested a bunch of amo off sandbags using a very accurate Walther GSP and found that all of them would put 10 shots within virtually half of the slow fire 10 ring. The smallest groups were with Wolf Match extra ca 1/4 of the ring, followed closely by SKJagp Pistol match/Wolf Match Target and then by Aguiila SE SV and CCI SV. I concluded that, for a shooter who never had a better season than 831 average, the lest expensive ammo was the way to go.
GBertolet

Post by GBertolet »

The bulk or promotional ammo is usually from rejected lots of first line ammo. This doesn't mean it's junk, often the average velocity of that lot is slightly higher or lower, or shot to shot variation is greater than what the manufacturer's specs call for, so they won't sell it as first line ammo. Quite often the accuracy is good enough for all but the most demanding accuracy requirements. Occasionally the report of a round will sound different than the rest, reminding you of why the price was discounted.
tuj

Post by tuj »

I use Eley Sport indoors. A lot of long-gun guys slam it, but it works great for me indoors. I have not tried it on the 25 or 50 yard lines and probably won't. In my MKIII I use Federal Automatch.
NDbullseye

Post by NDbullseye »

Use whatever your gun likes. I know a master bullseye shooter that uses the expensive stuff at 50yds and federal bulk pack at 25yds. He usually cleans the 25yd targets. So if it shoots good and is cheap use it.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I believe that Eley Sport made in Mexico is the same as Aguilla SE standard velocity ammo.
Misny

Post by Misny »

If you shoot NRA Outdoor Conventional Pistol, you will want to know how your ammo/ pistol combo does at 50 yards. Test in 10 shot groups and count all flyers in your measurements of the groups.
oldcaster

Eley Sport Aguila SE

Post by oldcaster »

Tony T said:"I believe that Eley Sport made in Mexico is the same as Aguilla SE standard velocity ammo."

This is not true. While a comparison of the quality of each could be argued, they go different velocities and the Sport has a sharper report. CCI SV is slower than either the Sport or SE but has a sharper recoil so noise or recoil doesn't tell much. This is from a 4 1/4 inch barrel Benelli and it is possible that with a longer barrel things could vary because more of the slow powder might be burning outside of the barrel in the SE amunition.
randy1952

ammo

Post by randy1952 »

TonyT wrote:I believe that Eley Sport made in Mexico is the same as Aguilla SE standard velocity ammo.
Your correct it comes out of the same factory.