sling tension during prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dmf

sling tension during prone

Post by dmf »

I've recently adopted a lower position. Everything usually starts out great but after a while, I notice that I am losing tension in the sling. I find myself "squirming" in position after every shot trying to regain the correct height but it is very difficult. I feel like a windmill!
Today I made a couple of adjustments once I realized I was losing tension. First I lengthened the butt plate. tension seemed better but slacked off after a bit. Next I found myself tightening the sling by 1 notch. The tension was better again, but quickly slacked off again over the next 4-5 shots.
Just so you know I am using a gehmann basic synthetic sling. It is a nice sling but I do also have a mec startline on order. I am a taller shooter with long arms, and currently I have my handstop pushed near the end of the stock. My sling is attached just above the bicep. Also when my shots wander off, I find they are usually above or below the 10 ring.
Wondering if anybody could offer me some advice for my next session.
Thanks!
Dave
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Simple answer may be that the sleeve of your coat is being pulled forward. Do you wear a sweater of some kind under the coat?
dmf

Post by dmf »

I've actually just been wearing a soft long sleeve shirt for prone ...

I do have a sauer technical shirt which I have been wearing for air rifle. I'm not sure why I chose not to wear this shirt for prone as well...
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

So next time try to notice whether the jacket sleeve is riding down during prone (actually the whole coat is moving, but its hard to notice). The solution is a better fitting coat or simply a thicker sweat shirt or sweater underneath. A thicker under-dressing will also allow you to tighten the sling around your arm tighter without increasing the risk of a pulse beat.

Again, I don't know if this is your problem but it was mine at one time and a thick sweatshirt cured it. I was wearing a t-shirt for comfort here in Florida...now I just sweat and suffer through it but my coat stays put.
dmf

Post by dmf »

Thanks for the tip. I will watch out to see if my coat being pulled, and try a thicker underdressing.
Dave
justadude

Post by justadude »

If I follow this correctly you are not using anything with a shoulder strap to hold the sling in a fixed position. If this is the case the sling is likely sliding down your arm. It is probably almost imperceptible but it does not take much movement of the sling down the arm to upset the position.

Good Luck
'Dude
dmf

Post by dmf »

Hi justadude, the sling is attached by a hook to the strap on my sleeve. Is that what you mean, or something like the "connector" for the mec sling?
Dave
justadude

Post by justadude »

OK, having a strap to fix the sling to a point on the sleeve is important. It does not have to be anything so fancy as the MEC connector.

As already discussed, the next secret now is to have the jacket fit snugly enough to not twist around the torso and upper shoulders allowing the sleeve and sling to slide down the arm.

Good Luck,

'Dude
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'd ask how low is 'low' and why you changed. I have a feeling a lower position will be more sensitive to small changes in sling pressure and that you can more easily drop, especially if the position isn't all that solid.

Rob.
dmf

Post by dmf »

Justadude - I've been looking at my jacket. Overall the jacket and pants fit, but I don't fill out the shoulders too well. I've been wearing the jacket with just the top 2 buttons done up.

Robf - I've been shooting "sporting rifle" for the last couple of years (that's using a light rifle without the sling). I've been shooting with a high position all this time. A couple of months ago I switched to ISSF and started getting some coaching. I was initially shooting with a high position here as well, but my coach has been trying to get me to try a much lower position.
It's hard to quantify "how low" but I would say "very low" (keeping in mind the 30 deg angle for the left forearm).
As you mentioned I would not discount my position being less than solid as I am new to issf prone, but once the tension loosens I don't seem to be able to wriggle my way back out of it.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

OK well it's difficult without seeing you shoot and what your position looks like. There's nothing wrong with shooting with a higher position, especially if a low position induces more problems, so don't be shy on discussing this with your coach. It may not be possible for you to do but it could be helpful shooting on something like scatt in both positions and seeing how the results (hold, stability etc) varied.

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

RobStubbs wrote:...don't be shy on discussing this with your coach.
Rob.
Rob has given you the best advice - take it.
dmf

Post by dmf »

Thanks everybody
hang

Post by hang »

food for thought, I used to have the problem of my jacket riding up (sling goes slack ) when shooting prone. Changed clubs and was talking about it and one of them asked to look at me in my jacket.

He looked the suggest to remove all the buttons then get somebody to refit them while i had my hands up over my head. I thought it was weird but tried it. It worked and my jacket now doesn't move.

If you do this the buttons won't be aligned horizontally but it works. When you think about it your hands above you head is much closer to the shooting ( prone position ) than fitting jacket yourself with hands by your side.
dmf

Post by dmf »

Thanks for your input, that's good food for thought.
I just wanted to say that since my access to hands-on coaching right now is minimal, and I have limited time to train for upcoming events, I've compromised with a semi-high (semi-low?) position that does not seem to have the same degree of forward strain on my jacket. I've also moved my sling below the bicep to offset tugging on the upper part of my sleeve where the material seems looser. I will probably revisit the "low" position again after the summer.
Dave