Grunig & Elmiger RACER World Champion Small Bore Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Albert's Inc

Grunig & Elmiger RACER World Champion Small Bore Rifle

Post by Albert's Inc »

For Immediate Release: June 10, 2011

Albert’s Inc. is pleased to announce becoming the U.S. dealer for Grunig & Elmiger rifles and accessories for the benchrest market.

We will stock the Racer World Champion small bore rifle in the RSIII stock and Grunig & Elmiger centerfire benchrest rifles. A demo Racer World Champion rifle will be kept at the store. It will be available to be tested at Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club and it will be taken to several upcoming matches so anyone interested will have an opportunity to experience the “state of the art” rimfire competition rifles.

More information on the Racer World Champion rifle can be found at G&E online.

Please direct inquires to:

Albert’s Inc.
104 W. Market St.
Johnson City, TN 37604
(423) 367-8001
Marc@alberts-inc.com
Albert's Inc

Update on Grunig & Elmiger Racer 2011 Deliveries

Post by Albert's Inc »

I have received an update on Grunig Racer deliveries.

Six (6) Grunig & Elmiger Racer Small Bore Rifles have been allocated to the United States for 2011. The rifles are due to arrive in the U.S. in November of 2011.

We have started a waiting list for the November shipment. They will be sold on a first come first serve basis. To get on the waiting list will require a deposit of 50% down. If at any time you wish to be removed from the waiting list, your deposit will be refunded in full and your place in line will be given to the next buyer.

Thanks,
Marc
Albert's Inc

Grunig & Elmiger RACER ARA Match

Post by Albert's Inc »

Saturday, July 2nd, a 5 target ARA Club Match was held at Wilderness Road Shooting & Conservation Club. The Unlimited Class started at 10:30am with 8 contestants.

It was a clear day with only a few clouds in the sky. The temperature was in the mid 70s and the ground was still wet with the morning dew when Target 1 began. By the end of the 5th target, 2 ½ hrs later, the temperature had risen to the low 90s. The humidity was over 80% and the barometric pressure was steady. The wind was very light and switching. The top wind speed during the match was 4 mph. Most of the time, there wasn’t enough wind to move the wind flags. So it was very difficult to get a read on the condition. To make it even more difficult, as the sun got brighter the dew evaporated off the ground. The mirage was brutal.

The Racer competed in the same configuration as received from the factory with the exception of the addition of a M. Werks scope rail, Leupold MK4 rings, and a March 5-32x52 scope set on 32 power. I used the Fulghum One Piece Rest with an old style Fulghum top with an Edgewood Hunt 2 ¼” bag filled with heavy sand. The Racer tracked perfectly in the rest. The ammunition was Eley Black Box 1049fps.

The Racer won 1st place on 2 of the 5 targets and won the match with a 575 point lead over the 2nd place competitor. So far, the Racer appears to be a contender in Rimfire Benchrest shooting. I will post more information as future matches and more testing is completed.
Attachments
Wilderness.jpg
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

You may want to consider moving this thread and future "updates" to the Buy/Sell section of the forum.
supermatch

Post by supermatch »

dlinden wrote:You may want to consider moving this thread and future "updates" to the Buy/Sell section of the forum.
Just what I was trhinking. 3 posts, 3 adverts. This is a discussion forum, not a free place to advertise.

And whilst the forum is kindly sponsored by another retailer, I think any adverts are a little cheeky unless pre-approved by same.

I mentioned the same about another advertiser on the forum, who was quick to say he also contributed to the forum discussions - hasn't been seen or heard of since.
Albert's Inc

Advertising or information sharing???

Post by Albert's Inc »

Sorry if I offended anyone.

There are none of these things available in the U.S. so I am not sure what I would be selling.

My intent was to present information on the applicability of this rifle for benchrest shooting. We also shoot Anschutz 2013, 1913, and 1907 rifles as well as several custom rifles.

I know the benchrest discipline is considerably different than position shooting but I thought there could be a lot of crossover interest. Judging from the 715 people who have visited this post I would have to say there is an interest.

We try to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of the equipment and ammunition. Generally, I believe if it would satisfy our needs, it would also satisfy position shooters.

There are matches coming up this weekend and I intend to post pertinent information on testing, ammunition, and the results. If your moderator removes this post, I will stop posting.

Respectfully Submitted,
Marc
Colin

Post by Colin »

keep posting Marc, I've enjoyed reading the posts even though I'm not going to buy the rifle. Colin
supermatch

Post by supermatch »

Are you for real? You don't know what you'd be selling? Read your previous posts man, you're advertising yourself as selling those G&E actions, taking deposits etc etc

Are you really claiming yout post is anything other than an advert?

Whether or not they are available yet has no relevance, you're advertising yourself on this forum and to claim anything different is a bit worrying to say the least.

Of course there is interest in the product, as there would be for any new rifle action. That's a different subject completely, so let's not try and deflect the real issue here.

Any real contribution to the forum would be welcomed by myself and others I'm sure, such as the performance of the action, but straight forward adverts are a bit tedious to me. Just my $0.02.

I have no ownership or power in this forum, but personally think a discussion forum works best for discussion.

@Colin, what have you learned from these adverts/posts?

That Alberts company has the US import rights??
Colin

Post by Colin »

What have I learnt, well he's going to be selling the rifles, and he's putting his views on these rifles, does that mean I'll buy a rifle from him, no. I'll take on board his views on how it shoots, and how the action works and that's about it.Just like anyone elses views on any target rifle they buy.
So he's going to be selling these rifles and has told everyone up front that and it's up to the individual to decide if they want to buy from him.
Anyway I think the decision should be with the host of this site if they think it's blatant advertising it will I'm sure be removed.
Albert's Inc

Let's set the record straight

Post by Albert's Inc »

Albert's Inc. is not the U.S. importer of Grunig & Elmiger products.

Albert's Inc., as stated in the first post, is the U.S. dealer of Grunig & Elmiger products for the Benchrest market ONLY. I can not sell these products outside the Benchrest marketplace.

There is another dealer in the U.S. who is responsible for all Olympic style and position shooter sales. I will not mention the dealer's company name for fear of being accused of advertising. Anyone interested can PM or email me for the contact information.

Since there are only two of these rifles in the U.S. and the Olympic style & position dealer is not in my geographical area, I agreed to let any Olympic style and position shooters who desired first hand information to come and demo my rifle.

I hope this information will put this issue to rest.
MNshooter

Grünig Racer

Post by MNshooter »

Hi All:

The hosts of this site are very friendly and good folks to do business with.

I will point out that they have an agreement in place with US Shooting making "Target Talk" market place recommended by US Shooting. In light of this, it is natural for businesses to want a presence on Target Talk.

Due to the U.S Shooting connection, I wanted to gather some market information on a possible smallbore rifle project. One quick email to to Pilk Guns and they approved my Poll.

I have not seen objections from Pilk about vendors using this website but it appears a simple solution would be for vendors to drop an email to the great folks at Pilk Guns and let them know your plans.

One of the values of this site is vendors tend to get vetted by the members in a hurry. It helps the consumer.

Just my 2 cents worth.

MNshooter
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I don't see any problems with this posting.
Albert's Inc

Post by Albert's Inc »

A 5 target ARA Club match was held on July 8 at the Gold City Rifle Range in Dahlonega, GA. I decided to shoot the Grunig & Elmiger Racer head to head with my custom Bill Calfee rifle, Trebuchet. It was an evening shoot with a very light left to right wind. In fact, the wind was so light most of the time the tails on the flags barely moved making it difficult to judge the condition. After the sun went down, it was almost like shooting indoors. Doug and David Kenimer have made Gold City a fantastic place to shoot.

Trebuchet has a Turbo action, Baity 6 o’clock firing pin conversion, Bill Pippin benchrest stock and bedding, Jewell trigger, Shilen Octagon barrel, Hoehn tuner, and was built and tuned by Bill Calfee. , Since receiving Trebuchet in April 2011, Trebuchet has won first place in the Tennessee State ARA Championship, third place in the Georgia and Virginia State ARA Championships, seventh place at the PSL Lapua Brawl, and first place in numerous local club matches shooting Eley Black Box 6 machine ammunition. As reported earlier, so far the Racer has competed in and won one local club match.

To some degree it was not a fair contest since the rifles were not designed for the same purpose but Trebuchet is a fantastic benchmark to test rifles and ammunition against. I decided to shoot the Racer in 2 of the matches and Trebuchet in 3 of the matches. The first and second target I used my backup 3 machine Eley Black Box ammunition and the third, fourth, and fifth target for each gun I used my best number one 6 machine Eley Black Box ammunition.

The results are as follows.

Target Rifle Ammunition Score
1 Racer Eley Black Box 3220 1875
2 Trebuchet Eley Black Box 3220 1950
3 Racer Eley Black Box 6034 2075
4 Trebuchet Eley Black Box 6034 2400
5 Trebuchet Eley Black Box 6034 2100

The Racer performed well against Trebuchet. Similar scores were shot by both rifles on target one & two and on target 3 & 5. Target 4 was one of those rare times when the condition, ammo, and rifle all come together to shoot a great score and Trebuchet rose to the occasion.

More matches and further tests will occur over the next few weeks. Jeff from M. Werks is making a 3” benchrest fore stock plate that should automatically align parallel to the barrel in the accessory rail. This should increase the stability while not affecting the tracing in the rest. I will also take the Racer out of the RSIII stock and put it in a McMillan Edge 2013 fiberglass benchrest stock and an Anschutz 2013 walnut benchrest stock to evaluate the Racer’s performance in a factory and custom benchrest stock.
Albert's Inc

Post by Albert's Inc »

Bad news. The Racer barreled action will not fit in my Anschutz 2013 factory benchrest stock. The screw footprint and everything else is the same but the rear of the Racer action is different than the 2013 action. If the Anschutz factory 2013 benchrest stock was routed it would fit but I don't want to wreck a new Anschutz factory 2013 benchrest stock. Anyone have a suggestion that doesn't require building a custom stock or routing my factory benchrest stock?

Thanks,
Marc
Albert's Inc

Racer Competes in First Rimfire Benchrest Match and WINS!!!

Post by Albert's Inc »

The Racer has not seen much action lately because I could not get to track properly in the Fulghum one piece rest and I have been trying to find a suitable custom benchrest stock.

The MWerks fore plate I was using has two lugs that fit into the accessory rail. With two lugs and a little wiggle room, I was not able to align the plate parallel with the barrel. So when the Racer was moved in the rest the point of aim changed in the cross hairs.

I contacted Jeff at MWerks and discussed the problem. Jeff suggested making a full length single lug fitted tightly in the accessory rail. I received the single lug rail and mounted it on the Racer. This eliminated the wiggle room and the alignment problems. Now the point of aim in the cross hairs remains rock steady. To date no other changes have been made to the Racer except the addition of the fore plate and a scope. It is still as received from the factory.

I zeroed the March 5 – 32x52 scope and headed to Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club to give the Racer a try in the ARA Unlimited 3 target match on Saturday, September 10. This is the first complete match the Racer has competed in since the testing began.

It was foggy and in the upper 50s at the range with very light variable left to right winds. The humidity was over 80%. The first match of the morning, at 10am, was an ARA Sporter 3 target match. About noon the Racer and the other ARA Unlimited guns were brought to the line. By then the fog had burned off, the temperature was in the middle 70s, and the humidity had fallen to below 60%. The wind had picked up to 2 – 10 mph with an average around 4 mph and had become very switchy predominantly right to left winds.

During the match, 30% of the shots were taken with a point of aim between the dot and the 50 ring, 60% of the shots were taken between the 50 and the 25 ring, and 10% of the shots were taken outside the 10 ring in the white area of the target.

I had chosen an exceptional lot of Eley Team ammunition to shoot because it has performed well in Trebuchet, a RB/LP Turbo with a Shilen Octagon Barrel, Jewell Trigger, Pippin Stock, Baity 6 o'clock conversion, smithed by Bill Calfee. The Eley Team did well in Racer too.

There were 10 great competitors for the match. The Racer won the match and also won 2 of the 3 targets with scores of 2025, 2035, and 2175. The agg was 2078.33. This was a great first match with strong competitors in difficult conditions.

It looks like the addition of the MWerks single lug fore plate has helped the Racer become a serious rimfire benchrest competitor right out of the box.