Silicone Grease on Cylinder Threads

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
upsdoc

Silicone Grease on Cylinder Threads

Post by upsdoc »

I have been reading the archives and it appears that peope are using the FWB or similar acid free grease on the cylinder threads.
Would there be any problem with just using the same silicone grease on the threads that I use on the O-ring?

Alex
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Someone might correct me but I always thought that silicon grease causes spalling on metal-to-metal surfaces. It will have the opposite effect of a lubricant.

I stand to be corrected.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I agree with David that the silicone grease be used only on the o-rings and not on metal to metal contact to avoid galling, but i have used silicone oil on my sporting spring piston guns to maintain high velocities.

Well, if you want minimum wear on the parts and dont have the FWB grease, i would recommend Moly grease that is compatible with elastomer.

Kevin
6string

Post by 6string »

Has anyone tried anti-seize threading compound? It's commonly used when threading two dissimilar metals such as aluminum and steel....
David M

Post by David M »

The FWB grease or dive tank grease is OK.
Do not use any grease or oil that is petroleum based anywhere near high pressure air.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Also, avoid any grease or anti-seize with graphite. It causes corrosion when in contact with aluminum.