pellet choice?????

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
NDbullseye

pellet choice?????

Post by NDbullseye »

I recently bought a walther LP-201 from another shooter I know. He told me "only shoot quality pellets". He shot Vogel Diabolo Match pellets. I bought a tin of RWS Basics. The pellet quality in the basics seem to be better than the vogel's. I shot both pellets off the bench with a sandbag rest, I know it isn't the best, but it gives me some idea if it groups. They both grouped close to each other. I also bought a tin of RWS R10 light and they are even better quality than the basics. I have shot them and they shoot great.

I have only shot 4 strings of 60 with the pistol and my last string scored 541. Should a person just shoot a couple tins of basics up to get shooting good and then buy the spendy R10's and shoot them???????????
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

As Scott Pilkington said not too long ago here, it's not the pellets. 541 is a respectable score for only shooting it 4 times, but I guarantee if you spend $7 more a tin you will not be shooting in the 570's on your 5th string just because of them. I tested R-10's, Meisterkugln, Hobby's, and Basics in my LP10 and aside from the Hobby's which it definately did not like there is no significant difference in the other 3. I have shot quite a few Basics through my LP10 in a vice just looking for a flyer and I have yet to see one. If there are no flyers and the groups are the same what advantage do I get for spending over twice as much? If your gun shoots the Basics fine buy a bunch and forget about the rest. Scott
NDbullseye

Post by NDbullseye »

Scott, I agree that they won't improve my score thats for sure. I was thinking when i get my scores to improve to say 560's would it be smart to invest the more money in the more expensive pellets??????
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

It doesn't matter from a technical point, but can from a psychological point. Big discussion on just this issue:

viewtopic.php?t=30011
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

ND,
Brian is right about them not mattering from a technical view but the can from a mental one (and also read the thread that he posted). If you think they are keeping you from shooting 560 then they are. If you think your gun is a piece of junk then it is. If you throw a shot out in the 7 or 6 and think its the pellets fault 1, your wrong and 2, the next shot all you will be thinking is "boy I hope this pellet is better than the last one and doesn't go out in the white" instead of what you should be thinking which is nothing at all.

When I got my LP10 I was told to try a tin of the Hobbies and a tin of the Basics so I did. I knew if I could prove to myself that they shot good out of my gun then there would be no reason not to shoot them. Out of my gun you can't tell the difference between Basics and R10's. For me that was all the proof I needed to keep shooting them. Don't take my word for it (just some guy on the internet that you don't know) try them in your gun maybe they won't shoot at all. If you need help setting up a rest e-mail me at scott-beyer@att.net and I will be glad to help you.

Every time I get a new case of them I test again just so I don't have that thought in my head that maybe this batch isn't any good and so far they have all been fine. I have one last tin from the last case that I bought and I am saving them for the Nationals because they are what I have confidence in.

So to awnser your question if you can get to where you can shoot in the 560's no I don't think it will be beneficial to start buying more expensive pellets. If you can start shooting in the 560's you will be doing a lot of things right and probably even more things wrong. Then you just need to work on doing those right things more often and more consistently. If when you shot that 541 and you had even just 1 shot that then when it broke the sights were aligned, you had a nice smooth release, good follow thru and it just felt good and you knew it was going to be a 10 YOU did that and there is no reason you cant do it many many more times. You just have to work on replicating all the things that you did right on that shot over and over and over again.

Sorry to be so long winded for such a short awnser but that is just my opinion and I am sure there will be plenty who disagree so do the test for yourself and see what comes of it. Scott
NDbullseye

Post by NDbullseye »

scott, i agree with you 100% on that. My gun shoots basics just fine. I know that my score is caused by my mental screw ups. I was just curious on what people thought on the subject.