Open Sights and Lighting

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
NCST8

Open Sights and Lighting

Post by NCST8 »

One of the ranges where I shoot has really difficult lighting conditions. The 50 yard targets are really dark. The 25 yard targets are really bright. Depending on which point you get, you may have bright light directly on the sights. On other points, you may have almost no light at all.

I have a pair of Benellis. I bought both used. Neither included any extra front or rear sight blades.

Can someone tell me if the sight blades have different notches? Can you get different width front sights? How easy is it to change out the sights? Will the zero be close?

Thanks,
D

This is cross-posted from the Bullseye area. If that's a problem, please delete.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Several years ago, I purchased(ordered) 3 rear sights at a local Benelli dealer (shotguns). The three not on my gun at this time, are:3.3mm, 3.7mm, and 4.0mm. The part nos. are 80150, 80151, etc.
They have a pin lined up with the center of the notch, that slips right in a hole in the slide that is controlled by the windage screw, so should be right on.
Paul
NCST8

Post by NCST8 »

Thanks, Paul. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. On Larry's, I found a listing of each of those sizes. Are there others, or is the one currently on your gun a duplicate?

Where in NC are you located?
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

I rechecked my parts and the sight on the gun. The original sight, was marked "A" with no size, but I marked the envelope I stored it in 3.3mm., so I must have miked it. The one on the gun is marked 3.7mm, and the envelope it came in is empty. The third sight is marked 4,0mm., as is the envelope. All the sizes on the envelopes(Benelli plastic Baggies) were added by me, they only came with the part#'s.
My NC address is in the South Mountains of Rutherford County, but I also have a home in Indian Land, SC about 5mi. from the Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club outdoor range, of which I'm a member.
NCST8

Post by NCST8 »

What are the steps to swap blades?

I think I will order the other two.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

The front sight is held in by an obvious Allen screw at the front. The rear sight blade is held in by a grub screw in the hollow in the left side of the pin that carries the blade. You'll probably have to remove the grips to slide the blade out, this will maintain sight adjustment, or you can raise the sight by removing the elevation screw. You may also have to remove the buffer block, as you would to remove the bolt, to swing the sight up.
I'd go with removing the grips. I replaced the stock grips with Karl Nill's, but I believe both grips extend behind the sight blade.

Paul