Newbie pistol shooter, where to begin?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lxvnrsw

Newbie pistol shooter, where to begin?

Post by lxvnrsw »

Hello Target Talk Forum:

I've been shooting a variety of firearms for a few years now, predominantly as a way to relax, but have in the past two years drifted towards target shooting and have even considered working up to the level of being able to compete someday in the future. I have a Kimber Model 82G and a Feinwerkbau 300s, but now that I'm 21 and can legally purchase a pistol and find myself drawn to pistol shooting more and more, I'm thinking of saving up my money and investing in a target quality pistol.

I've shot a Smith and Wesson 41, a Hi Standard Supermatic Model 106, a Walther GSP, and a few mixed German/Soviet Free Pistols and have loved all of them, but I was ultimately wondering if you guys could go back and do it all again how you'd recommend a newbie like me begin and what pistol to invest in.

Most of my older shooting friends (many of whom shot competitively in college) recommend I get the Smith and Wesson 41 since it's a very nice pistol and is very versatile. But after looking at the pistols made by Walther, Hammerli, Paradini, Morini and others (.22 pistols that is) I've begun to wonder if a different pistol would make more sense, and would help me build skills quicker (also understanding that a great pistol doesn't necessarily make a great marksman).

There's unfortunately no competitive pistol club at my college or anywhere near me (and the university didn't exactly approve of me trying to start a pistol team earlier last year either) so I'd be stuck predominantly shooting on my own and traveling to receive further instruction. I'm perfectly content with that for now since I shoot predominantly as a way to relax and unwind, but in the future I see myself getting a lot more serious and competing in either ISSF or NRA type pistol competitions. Since I see a good quality pistol as a investment and a prized tool I'm willing to spend a bit more than usual on a gun (I'm not about to just spring for a ruger Mk2 or the like) but still want to maximize value for what I invest.

Also, should I look at starting in standard pistol or 10m air pistol shooting? My feinwerkbau 300s has been particularly well utilized since I can set up a "range" in my garage, basement, attic, or even backyard without worrying about noise, but I do so far enjoy .22 shooting quite a bit more than air gun shooting (but perhaps you guys can persuade me otherwise). There is a pistol range that I belong to near my college as well, but it's only 40 feet long so reduced distance targets are a must.

Sorry to ramble a bit, but in short, how do you recommend a beginner like me begin? Standard pistols, Free pistols, 10m air pistols, make, model, price? Any other pointers/advice?

Thanks a lot,

Lxvnrsw
antispar

Post by antispar »

Definitely AP 10m! It is the cheapest to shoot among all pistol disciplines (once you buy a pistol) and at the same time it is demanding enough. Once you reach 540 score you will how difficult is to stay within 9 ring for the duration of match (60 shots). All what you learn shooting AP 10m can be applied directly on free pistol, plus some additional aiming. For the pistol choice buy used Izh-46M. It will give you the taste of sport and if you like it, it will serve you well into 570 area. If not, you will loose little selling it.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Agreed on the choice of the 46m, as it's serving me well in getting into the 550's after only a couple of months. Be aware though that the grip will not be adequate at all for most hands. Too small for many, and the angle is wrong for most to get anywhere near a locked wrist. I modified mine really heavily with putty at first and a lot of carving and re-puttying, then once settled close to what felt right I carved a new grip from maple to match that with some slight further modifications to get it perfect. And I modified the grip tang of the pistol frame so that a bolt mechanism can adjust the angle of the grip front-to-rear, not easy to get right but it works. Now a turn of an allen key and I can go between a full 10m range and my home practice 7m range in a second, with identical wrist angle on both. Neither angle is anywhere near the original, rather upright angle of the Baikal grip. Many of the other European pistols come stock with a more correct grip rake angle.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Buy both!

Many like the IZH (I suspect because of its price). Personally, I would prefer a used FWB 65 or Pardini K58. With any of those you need nothing else but a tin of pellets (WAY less expense). You can get much valuable training in at home.

Walther GSP, S&W41, Pardini...all excellent. You DO need a .22 to get into the game, but other guns can come later.
wu_dot_com

Post by wu_dot_com »

i am currently practicing with M41. the problem is, M41 is a lot less forgiving when it comes to bad technique and the trigger is single stage where as the 2 stage trigger.

if you go the M41 route, you will need to buy rank / nell 's grip as a minimum.

the good thing is that you can use wolff extra power spring, and shoot HV bulk ammo for cheaper practice cost. since the gun is all steel construction its can take the beating.

you should not worry too much about using expensive ammo for the bulk of your training. this is because even bulk ammo can produce acceptable accuracy that's within the 10 ring.

also, keep in mind that the M41 is heavyer and the wrist angle is more upright. so if you practice your hold with M41, you will be fatigue much quicker compare to Pardini and other guns.
lxvnrsw

Post by lxvnrsw »

So it sounds like a 10m AP is the way to go (although I still am a big fan of .22 pistols). Besides the 46m or a Feinwerkbau 65, what other pistols would you recommend if I wanted to invest a little more in a pistol and be able to advance further with it before having to upgrade?

And if I wanted to go for a .22 pistol, what would you guys recommend there?
ammagad

Post by ammagad »

ap: morini cm162m
.22: morini cm22m

great guns! at least for me.
wu_dot_com

Post by wu_dot_com »

lxvnrsw wrote:So it sounds like a 10m AP is the way to go (although I still am a big fan of .22 pistols). Besides the 46m or a Feinwerkbau 65, what other pistols would you recommend if I wanted to invest a little more in a pistol and be able to advance further with it before having to upgrade?

i've tried the pardini and i like it a lot. for most people, a pardini, MG, moroni will be a good choice.

Feinwerkbau on the other hand is way too over price IMO.

if you want to go budget route, Benilli MP 90 should be plenty enough.

meanwhile its almost impossible to get a IZH35 since so few of them pop up every so often.

bottom line is, spent the 2k and get a good gun. the M41 is very accurate for what it is, but it will never behave like a true sports pistol. it have always left me with rooms to wonder. on the up side, since the M41 is more unforgiving, it forces me to focus on perfecting in each detail technique. i think i ended up spending more rounds learning the detail technique, but it gives me a better opportunity to solidify my shooting foundation through repetition.
Rover

Post by Rover »

So you have a forty foot range to play at. With a simple target stand for 4 Bull targets (and maybe a light) you'd have a perfect 33' airgun range. Advertise on the Classified here and you could probably find a cheap returning target setup.

You can fool around forever trying to guess what guns are the best. I don't think it matters a hell of a lot as long as you buy quality. That is NOT the same as buying the most expensive. Buy something locally and start shooting; you'll figure out your preferences soon enough.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you can buy points, though.
lxvnrsw

Post by lxvnrsw »

Well then, anyone have a good 10m ap they're willing to part with at a good price for a college student?
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Whatever pistol you buy, it will take you quite a while to get used to it and to train your muscles to give you the most consistant results.
As Rover said, buy a quality pistol that you can learn to shoot well with.
As you gain confidence in the pistol, so your enjoyment will increase, which will help to lead to improved groups and eventually to improved scores.
You cannot buy success, this will only come after a considerable amount of range time investment by you in creating consistent quality shot releases.
milevsport

Post by milevsport »

lxvnrsw wrote:So it sounds like a 10m AP is the way to go (although I still am a big fan of .22 pistols). Besides the 46m or a Feinwerkbau 65, what other pistols would you recommend if I wanted to invest a little more in a pistol and be able to advance further with it before having to upgrade?

I personally shoot Rapid Fire with Pardini SP since 1997. Great gun, very adaptable. The ballance on the front is made with 6 steel cylinders, 17 grams each, which can be removed to reduce it. The trigger is with wide range of adjustment. If you want to add weight, you can get the tungsten weights, which are 35 grams each.
I practice on 10 meters reduced targets and recently won bronze on the World Cup in Munich. So the target distance shouldn't be a problem for you.
Visit www.PardiniGuns.com to check it. There is plenty of information about the guns and shooting in general.
In the past world cup in Munich all medals in the Rapid Fire Pistol were won with Pardini. 5 out of 6 in the final shot Pardini.
And I'm sure once you try rapid fire, you'll be hooked forever :)
Good luck