Is any air pistol definately superior to another?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dev

Post by Dev »

I have owned the Steyr LP 10 for the past year. The only thing that I have found troublesome is that it is very sensitive to pellets.

Most of my friends shoot the Morini 162 ie or whatever :-). Two are now hinting that I should switch as getting decent foreign pellets is becoming more and more of a problem.

I however adore my silver LP 10 and cannot think of using the soda straw barreled Morini. The Steyr anyway seems technically so much more advanced.

What are your views?

Regards,

Dev
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Hello Dev

When you say 'sensitive to pellets' can you give an example of what you mean - I have used most pellets from the cheaper training pellets (branded as Geco's in the UK) right up to the most expensive brands such as H & N and have found that all of them will comfortably hold the 10 ring on a target.

All the best

Lee
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Dev,
The LP10 and the Morini are both very good pistols. It is all a matter of personal choice as to which pistol you feel comfortable with.
If you have the confidence in the pistol then you will get the scores, which are always directly proportionate to the amount of time and effort that you put into creating each perfect shot.
As long as you select the correct sized pellet that suits your barrel you should have no real cause for concern.
Last edited by John Marchant on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

The answer to the question in your original post question is "No".

If however your question was "The only pellets I can buy do not work reliably in an LP10 but are fine in a 162EI - what should I do" then you have to ask yourself another question; "Am I in this sport to get the highest scores that circumstances will allow or so that I can shoot a gun I like".
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

What gives you this indication that your LP10 isn't shooting the pellets that you can buy well?

I've shot RWS, HN, JSB and Vogels out of all my Steyrs with out any issues, they all shoot one hole groups. Out of curiosity what pellets are available to you?

There are also things to check with your pistol if your having issues too. Go to the you-tube videos and and see how to check that your absorber counter weight is moving correctly. If you have access to a chrony check your velocities. Make sure they are relatively consistent if they are you might need to adjust them for better grouping a good place to start is around 525 fps.

Unless there is something wrong with your pistol thinking that changing from one world class pistol to another will make you a better shooter is just plain silly.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The answer to your question is not only no, it is, "Hell, no!"

My own testing with Walther(s), Pardini(s), Steyr, Morini, and FWB(s) tells me there is not enough difference between decent pellets or guns to matter in the least.

I suppose there could be something wrong with your gun (or you), but that's something else again.
Dev

Thekind of pellets available

Post by Dev »

Right now we get two local brands of pellets, one though better in fit skirt size and head size is inconsistent in weight. This at times will give a tight group and last Friday I managed to keep 25 pellets within the nine and ten ring. This make is called p 10 and made by a company called gsmith.

The other is made by another company called MasterShot. These were shooting fine, could put five pellets in the same hole, till the last pack.
The new packet has a lot of pellets with smaller skirts and heads.

Mastershot pellets cost about Rs.170 and gsmith about Rs.250 for 500. All foreign makes cost between Rs.450 to Rs.500 whether it is Meisterkugeln or any other. My friend has a pack of Vogel, so I will just grab that as the state competition is on end of the month.

I think the way David has re-framed my question is correct. I think this is what my friends were unable to articulate.

Thank you for all your replies,

Dev
lastman

Post by lastman »

Dev,

Have you put tested these pellets through a ransom rest or a vice?

That will allow you to see really what's happening with the pistol or the pellets.

If they are not holding pretty close to a 1 pellet group over 20 shots then something is either wrong with the pistol or the pellets.

My advice would be to do this and see what's really happening before making any decisions.

Good luck
luftskytter

LP10 and pellets?

Post by luftskytter »

Another way of looking at it:

You can afford to shoot a Steyr LP10; how does the price of pellets stack up against this? What's the cost of getting another gun?
I get the impression that maybe "pellet sensitive" here means "sensitive to inferior pellets". It seems you can get those foreign pellets if you pay the price?

I've shot a lot with inexpensive pellets like H&N "Sport" etc (about half the price of "Finale Match"). My shooting doesn't really expose the difference, but OTOH I've realised that the added expense during an evening's shooting of a bit more than 100 pellets really isn't all that much.
Maybe about the same as an ice cream; a lot less than a bottle of beer......

My son who competes in rapid fire "gunpowder" events, pays maybe 5 ot 10 times the price of air gun pellets and empties a 5 shot magazine in no time......

Maybe life is just too short for shooting inferior pellets?
ronpistolero

pellets

Post by ronpistolero »

No offense, Dev. But it seems to me that this is likely a case of being influenced by some other shooters' thoughts; pretty much a psychosomatic thing. I can't really explain it much further but because these pellets are "top of the line" and have been used by the best shooters with success. The only other reason is that maybe you need to adjust the velocity (verify via ransom rest) as each barrel is distinct as one's finger prints. Or maybe some pellets produce a diameter of 5mm after a 5 shot ransom group and you maybe complaining about a group producing 7mm. Just my thoughts.
Dev

Pellet quality

Post by Dev »

One of the problems that I was facing was being unable to chrono my pistol. Did so yesterday and found that it shoots at 425/428 fps. I was using a combro chronograph the one that fits on the barrel, that being the first time I figured out how to use it on the LP 10 (take the front sight off and fix it upside down). I agree a lot with you Luftskytter...that is why I went thru the pain of always scampering after Meisterkugelns and everything else.
It was just that two of my friends thought that I was being a snob and looking down on our local pellets. No offense taken Ron, that you for your point of view. I know that the mind is a huge component of shooting.

So to cut a long story short I managed to get a pack of Yellow Vogels last night. Traded a pack of Crosman HP.22 for em. The person I traded with was really happy and will give me another pack later at a discounted price. I also checked my pistols stabilizer, it seems to be fine.

Need to remember that this is the same pistol I shot 357/400 at the trials. Went to practice at our state of the art range at Delhi. Gee you don't have to do anything but shoot. But being me I hurried thru the shot to look at the monitor...ruined my score :-). Anyway this was just practice I need to remember to keep my focus on the sights. Doing this got me a series of 9.3, punctuated with a few very pleasant 10.5, 10.3 in ten shots.

So I seem to be all set for the match on the 27th. I will also be shooting standard pistol this time :-).

Thank you for being so supportive.

Dev
David Levene

Re: Pellet quality

Post by David Levene »

Dev wrote:Did so yesterday and found that it shoots at 425/428 fps.
So there's the most likely cause of your problem; you're approximately 80-90fps too slow.

I suggest you watch the Steyr video on LP10 velocity adjustment.
Dev

Was suspicious of this?

Post by Dev »

Hi David,

I saw the video about adjusting the power but due to my eyesight I could not manipulate the small screw. I need to get the correct size allen key. Was also wondering if it was set low due to European regs. Now that you have spelt it out I will adjust it tomorrow.

Regards,

Dev
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Dev,
The allen key should have came in the set of tools when you got your pistol. Make sure to tighten the set screw tight enough when you are happy with the setting because it needs to be pretty tight to squeeze the split ring enough to keep the screw from changing position. If you were shooting that low of velocity you will probably notice that the pellets will be cutting a lot cleaner holes also. Scott
Dev

slaps head with palm of hand

Post by Dev »

Oh God Scott,

I totally forgot about the little bag with the extra o-rings and small allen key.

Thank you so much for reminding me. I shall take care to tighten the little screw adequately.

Regards,

Dev