Finger Tip Support Hand.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mbradley

Finger Tip Support Hand.

Post by mbradley »

As a relatively new shooter, I find myself making changes to my standing position. After quite a bit of work, I believe that I have a relatively short forearm which makes getting the front site high enough difficult in Small Bore and Air Rifle.

Attempts to get the site higher result in more backward lean. I can raise the butt plate some, which require then more head tilt. Getting the front site higher also requires a vertical forearm, which reduces the contact pressure of the elbow my hip. In other words, all the classic compromises.

I recently tried placing the the stock on my finger tips instead of the fist that I had been using. I instantly notice that I could place my hand further away from my body, driving the elbow into the hip. I also did not need to lean back as much. I suppose this is the same effect the free rifle shooter gets with a palm rest.

Of course, there is the obvious drawback of less stability on the finger tips. But aside from that, does anyone in this forum have experience or information shooting with this style? In Ways of the Rifle, I see no examples of anyone shooting this way. I cannot seem to find any pictures of successful or even experienced shooters using this style.

Specific questions related are:

1.) I am using the first three finger and the thumb to create the "span" to set the rifle on. Are there variations on this?

2.) What type of glove would work best?

3.) Can a no slip surface be applied to the underside of the stock?

4.) Are there any known shooters (with photos) shooting like this?

Thanks,

Mike
jnespappa

Post by jnespappa »

My contribution is limited to Item No. 1 on your list. I found that my fingers will gradually slide open, as they stretch. To correct that I make a fist with the palm of my hand facing me, so the rifle is basically resting on bone.

HTH.
ZD

Post by ZD »

There is one more hand variation that will offer you more height. You can turn your fist 90 degrees, such that the outside of your hand faces the left side of the rifle. This position also serves as a natural cant. While I personally use the standard fist position, I can assure you that turning your fist sideways will raise your position.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Smallbore is relatively easy, just use a palm rest to gain the height you need, air is more of a pain due to the restrictions on stock depth.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Colin wrote:Smallbore is relatively easy, just use a palm rest to gain the height you need, air is more of a pain due to the restrictions on stock depth.
...and the fact that ISSF rules specifically prohibit them for Air Rifle (rule 7.9)
Colin

Post by Colin »

As my post stated, easy for smallbore, restrictions for air
singleshotcajun

Post by singleshotcajun »

With most stocks I can use the fist hold but for certain rifles I have to use a fingertip hold. In sporter class and with certain Vintage service rifles in order to get high enough without leaning backwards I have started using finger tips. It's not perfect and requires Zen like concentraion but it will work. I use a simple cotton knit glove with fingertips dipped in rubber. I first used this method while shooting a Swedish M96 Mauser in Vintage Service rifle matches. The Swede's stock is very thin heigth wise and difficlult to get a good traditional hold in Offhand while anchoring ones elbow on or near ones hip bone. It wokrs but slips,oopses and foul ups are easier to do off of fingertips.