Help with Roco mount on my new Hammerli 208s

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bachekermooni

Help with Roco mount on my new Hammerli 208s

Post by bachekermooni »

This mount is very similar to the old Knapp 208/215 mount. THe rail goes all the way close to the rear sight.

I mounted it and tightened the "weight" screw on my brand new 208s (I just had to do it). Topped with a UltraDot Matchdot, I started to zero. It only took a few shots. It then started to stove pipe 8-O Odd. The spent case would get stuck between the mount and slide (on top). This happened a couple of times in 10 shots and caused the mount to slide forward. The bad part, the mount is not inline with the barrel so it was touching on the right side of the barrel 8-O Now there is nasty scratch at the top right of my no longer brand new 208s ... Darn. Me not happy - at all.

I am not an expert in these guns. I think the mount is interfereing with ejection. Ideas? Suggestions? I have a match on Sunday. BTW, I got 20 shots into the 25 yard slowfire target before I had to leave. 184 - 6x My best score ever by a long shot. Ammo? Sk Std +.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Some people cut the mount off so it clears the ejection port. Also sometimes you can stop this probelm by sliding the scope rings to a different notch.
As far as the scratch goes, welcome to the world of guns that you actually shoot as opposed to keeping them in the safe and looking at them once in a while. :-)
bachekermooni

Post by bachekermooni »

Isabel1130 wrote:Some people cut the mount off so it clears the ejection port. Also sometimes you can stop this probelm by sliding the scope rings to a different notch.
As far as the scratch goes, welcome to the world of guns that you actually shoot as opposed to keeping them in the safe and looking at them once in a while. :-)
thanks. But why do mounts have to be manufactured off center in order for them to damage the gun? No QC?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I am not sure what you mean by your statement that the mount is off center? Did it look like it was not square with the barrel when you first put it on or was that the result of the sliding?

My suggestion is, if the mount is defective, that is an issue for RoCo.
bachekermooni

Post by bachekermooni »

Isabel1130 wrote:I am not sure what you mean by your statement that the mount is off center? Did it look like it was not square with the barrel when you first put it on or was that the result of the sliding?

My suggestion is, if the mount is defective, that is an issue for RoCo.
It was just off square. But it is hard to tell because it looks so different. I only realized it after it slid. I started looking closer and sure enough it was touching the barrel on the right side - by the breech. Also, the weaver mount width looks smaller than any other weaver mount I have ever used. The rings have to touch on the bottom for it to secure to the base !!! I will post pics later.
topclass52

Hammerli 208 mount

Post by topclass52 »

for whatever it's worth, I have a Knapp mount on my Hammerli and it is cut off just in front of the ejection port to avoid FTE's. With a short weaver rail, I only use one ring to hold my red dot -- a 1" Millet, which is small and light -- and have had no problems with using it that way.

Tom