ISSF Enforcement Procedures for Shooters’ Shoes

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

john bickar

Post by john bickar »

RobStubbs wrote:Really John, I'd love to know how you calibrate yourself to 15nm ?
Well, you have to hold your mouth just right... :)

No, what I meant is that it's just like setting your trigger weight - if you don't have an ISSF-approved trigger weight, you set it at 550 and use a homemade scale to approximate it, erring on the side of being legal.

Same thing here - I'd watch them doing the test and see how much force they put on it when lifting the heel. You don't need to be calibrated to within 6 significant figures to know whether or not you're going to be close to passing.

I can tell you just by looking at the picture in the PDF that my shooting shoes would likely pass, and that I'd also have a spare set just in case they didn't.

Bingo, I'm prepared.

Without further ado, I give you the patented, trademarked, John-Bickar-Seal-of-Approval Shooting Shoe Home Flexibility Test*:

I'm not even going to crowdsource advice on how I should market it or price it.

*Test is neither patented nor trademarked
Last edited by john bickar on Tue May 17, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Richard H wrote:I've been to numerous competitions from World Cups on down and have sat and listened to those that conduct equipment tests and it's become a competition unto itself to see how they can screw competitors over. They laugh and giggle like schoolgirls amongst themselves on how many people they have screwed and to what level they've made people destroy good equipment.
In my experience this is so far out of the norm as to be almost nonexistent. If it does exist in parts of the world, it's the exception, not the rule.

I think that the enforcement of this rule for pistol shoes is silly, of course, but the officials running equipment control comport themselves as professionals and are not looking to "screw competitors over".
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Richard H wrote:I've been to numerous competitions from World Cups on down and have sat and listened to those that conduct equipment tests and it's become a competition unto itself to see how they can screw competitors over. They laugh and giggle like schoolgirls amongst themselves on how many people they have screwed and to what level they've made people destroy good equipment.
I would suggest that if you think a piece of equipment has been unfairly failed then you should lodge an appeal.

I will be running EC at the British Pistol Club Championships in a couple of weeks time, and I'll have a supply of appeal forms ready to hand to anyone who, after discussion, disagrees with one of my decisions.

Before anyone asks, no we probably won't be running the shoe test, but only because there won't be the equipment available.
j-team

Post by j-team »

David Levene wrote:Before anyone asks, no we probably won't be running the shoe test, but only because there won't be the equipment available.
Well, you could spend some of the BPC's money and have one built... And then throw it away in a few months when the next "interpretation" comes out and is different!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Yes great idea David never thought of that. ;P
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

john bickar wrote:
In my experience this is so far out of the norm as to be almost nonexistent. If it does exist in parts of the world, it's the exception, not the rule.

I think that the enforcement of this rule for pistol shoes is silly, of course, but the officials running equipment control comport themselves as professionals and are not looking to "screw competitors over".
I totally agree. Most EQ folks are very helpful and will happily explain if they think something is, or is close to being, a problem. There are of course the odd zealot, but these folks don't normally make it into more important, international, matches.

Rob.
David M

Post by David M »

John, you don't need to bend that shoe over that far.... if you are over 55 your feet don't bend that far.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

David M wrote:John, you don't need to bend that shoe over that far.... if you are over 55 your feet don't bend that far.
Careful, JUNIOR!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Rob and David I agree the vast majority are great very helpful and friendly, unfortunately like most things in life the few bad apples are the ones that stand out in your memory the most and tend to taint the whole bunch. One reason it's important for them to police themselves effectively and get rid of the bad apples.

That said unfortunately many of them bare the brunt of criticism for poorly written rules for which they are not responsible and they have to put up with many troublesome competitors too.

Maybe if both groups, officials and athletes had a greater say in the implementation of these rules much of the problems would be solved. For now I guess we just have to settle with the ISSF getting there guidance from the IOC who gets it from NBC.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Richard H wrote:Rob and David I agree the vast majority are great very helpful and friendly, unfortunately like most things in life the few bad apples are the ones that stand out in your memory the most and tend to taint the whole bunch. One reason it's important for them to police themselves effectively and get rid of the bad apples.

That said unfortunately many of them bare the brunt of criticism for poorly written rules for which they are not responsible and they have to put up with many troublesome competitors too.

Maybe if both groups, officials and athletes had a greater say in the implementation of these rules much of the problems would be solved. For now I guess we just have to settle with the ISSF getting there guidance from the IOC who gets it from NBC.
It's also our responsibility as shooters to complain if we feel officials are wrong - that way more senior officials / juries can review the reports and logs. If all officials have no complaints then it can make it more difficult to pick the best. I think I've only once formally complained to be fair, but I have informally voiced concerns about dubious rule interpretations to jury members made by certain officials.

Rob.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Thanks God I moved to radio controled gliders...Also full of rules, but is nice just to float around, without competitions. Now, try and see for how long can you shoot just for the heck of it...

First you try shooting beer cans, hit all of 'em. then you start shooting INTO the, by the opening. Then you call back the targets and there you are, competition and rules again...
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

jacques b gros wrote:Now, try and see for how long can you shoot just for the heck of it...
Right up until I give myself a chronic injury (well, another chronic injury) because of kit which doesn't give medically necessary support...
j-team

Post by j-team »

Sparks wrote:
jacques b gros wrote:Now, try and see for how long can you shoot just for the heck of it...
Right up until I give myself a chronic injury (well, another chronic injury) because of kit which doesn't give medically necessary support...
Get a lighter rifle

No peice of kit (inanimate object) gives you an injury, it's how you use it.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

j-team wrote:
Sparks wrote:
Get a lighter rifle

No peice of kit (inanimate object) gives you an injury, it's how you use it.
Sound advice, but there was no lighter pistol than the Anschutz LP@ four years ago. The problem was living close to the club, so dry firing at home, three times a week at the range, AND 56 years old much abused shoulders.

When the right gave in, got a lefty grip. The first week the trigger seemed to weight a ton, started to get better, and in two months the results were getting close to the previous. In the third month they went down and I to the doctor.

Two MRE and the visit with them to the doctor, who said: "right side is worn, nothing to do here. Left has a partially ruptured tendon. This we can operate. The operation will take less than an hour"

I made the smart question: "time of recovery after? Will I shoot again?"

"Well, recovery is in EIGHT months at your age, but shooting is out".

So, RC gliders for me. I'm still a shooting judge.