Air Pistol Matches in Southern California

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ricchap

Air Pistol Matches in Southern California

Post by ricchap »

I recently bought an air pistol and would like to know if there are any organized air pistol target matches in the southern California area. I know there are pistol matches (USAS) in the San Francisco/Sacramento area, but I have not heard of any in the southern California area other than silhoutte shooting.
paw080

Re: Air Pistol Matches in Southern California

Post by paw080 »

ricchap wrote:I recently bought an air pistol and would like to know if there are any organized air pistol target matches in the southern California area. I know there are pistol matches (USAS) in the San Francisco/Sacramento area, but I have not heard of any in the southern California area other than silhoutte shooting.
Hi Ric, there will be many critcal eyes focused on responses to your question.
I will make a few phone calls to see if any progress has been made to a
site that several 10 meter AP shooters have been looking at. I'm referring
to a possible shooting site at Whittier Narrows park.
There is no AP or AR venue at the Prado Olympic airgun hall any more.
The auto retrievable target holders are completely trashed. The Prado
range manager said he might install hand crank target holders if he sees
a need...That was last year...

Tony G
ricchap

Post by ricchap »

Tony, please keep me posted on the Whittier Narrows shooting site. I imagine you are talking about the Los Angeles Rifle and Pistol Club. I would we willing to donate couple of Gehmann manual target systems and would also volunteer to help build the range if they provide us space at their range. Their air rifle shooters would also be able to use the manual system. The Gehmann target system is pretty inexpensive. We just need a roof to cover the shooters and a wooden backrest to support the pellet catcher.

Thanks,
Ricardo
upsdoc

Post by upsdoc »

I am also located in Southern CA and would like information on 10M air pistol competition.

Alex
ricchap

Post by ricchap »

The only USAS registered air pistol matches I know of are in Northern California. (Chabot Gun Club, Coyote Point, Palo Alto and Sacramento) Sadly there is not much interest in air pistol in Southern California. Very few southern californians, if any, go North to shoot. I thought about it but it is a 400 mile drive (one way) plus hotel fees. The other place is Phoenix Gun Club, and it is also about 400 miles away. Sorry!
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

the LARR is my home range. but NO PISTOLS OF ANY KIND are allowed. Im not sure why.

I think the indoor range in Brea has an air pistol program. Coached by Joyce Kim's father (i think)
matt
Forrest C.

Post by Forrest C. »

Just out of curiosity, how much interest in air pistol competition is there in Socal?
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Forrest C. wrote:Just out of curiosity, how much interest in air pistol competition is there in Socal?
Not enough, apparently. Prado has undergone a reorg. It looks like the

50 m range could be available for 50 meter pistol events. It is definitely

available for 50 M practice. Prado 10 meter indoor events are out of the

equation unfortunately.

Tony
joel

Post by joel »

I'll keep a watchful eye as well since I'm located in San Diego.

Thanks,

Joel
upsdoc

Post by upsdoc »

I called the OC indoor range in Brea. They do not have an air pistol program.
ricchap

Post by ricchap »

If some experienced SoCal air pistol shooter wants to start a club and have registered shoots, I am willing to help. Over 200 people have hit this post since I initially posted it, so there are shooters out there. Maybe we can lease 2 outdoor bays at Prado once a month and have a shoot. We can shoot air pistol and then standard pistol to keep it fun. We do need a good crowd though. No sense of going thru all this trouble for 5 people to show up. I would imagine that Prado is going to require a minimum number of shooters to save us a date each month. Any volunteers?
Mesa

Air Pistol at LAR&R

Post by Mesa »

LAR&R has to work within the frame work of the Corps of Engineers, and LA county Parks. We are trying to make the range more public friendly, bench shooting, beginniging shoooting courser ( 10 yrs and up) Not the normal 3 p course, and just in general more public friendy. That said we are still bound by outside agency's rules. Pistol shooting, is not and will not be allowed by County decree.
Phil
LAR&R board member
Rover

Post by Rover »

You guys around Chino could look at this post:
viewtopic.php?t=30189

I've shot at a club that stretched heavy wire across the range and the target hung from that with clips. Sure it's not electronic returning targets, but it IS shooting.

I've used the 4 bull targets on my home range and had to change them every 20 shots. Worked fine. If you have room, you might hang three targets for each shooter.
upsdoc

Post by upsdoc »

I would be very interested in a monthly match and a possible club, however I have not competed in 15 years.
SeanM

Post by SeanM »

Representing Rancho Cucamonga here, I'd be very interested. I hate to think that I'll have to drive up to NorCal every time I want to shoot a match.
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

Granted, driving to Northern California is pretty far to drive for a one day match. How does the group feel about driving to Bakersfield or Fresno for a match?

Also, what about setting up a postal league? Does USA Shooting allow for a sanctioned postal match?

-s
joel

Post by joel »

The thread is about SoCal shooting. Let's keep this one about shooting down here. I'd be up for a once a month match even though I've never shot AP competitively before. Sounds like a bunch of fun, competition, and comraderie.

Joel
SeanM

Post by SeanM »

paw080 wrote:The Prado range manager said he might install hand crank target holders if he sees a need...
Who do I need to send a letter to? It would be great to be able to hold competitions there.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

SeanM wrote:
paw080 wrote:The Prado range manager said he might install hand crank target holders if he sees a need...
Who do I need to send a letter to? It would be great to be able to hold competitions there.
Hi Sean, you can give it a try, but like I said in a later post, there is likely
no way we'll ever get to use the airgun hall again. It has been converted
to a storage building for all the utility vehicles used by the Prado folks.
We'll probably have a better chance scheduling the outdoor 25yd or 50yd ranges.
Check out the Prado new website for info(Google is your friend)

http://www.shootprado.com/index.htm

Tony
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you can get a group together and think outside the box you may have some success.

Note that the Canadian Air Gun Grand Prix, a rather large event, has been held in a school gymnasium and a hotel conference room.

You could probably find an empty store front at a mall that could be had for cheap for a while: you could move around if rented. How about an archery range (inside or out)? How about a Community Center or school?
Maybe a church or VFW or Legion Hall. The VFW or American Legion might be particularly sympathetic and usually have a bar (talk about Schuetzenverein!). You might have some luck with these guys: http://www.germanclubsandiego.org/our_affiliates.html

Sounds like you just need to get organized. With some input from your members you'll be successful.
Last edited by Rover on Thu May 19, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.