Interstate vacationing by car with air guns and tanks

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

peterz

Interstate vacationing by car with air guns and tanks

Post by peterz »

I’ve got a problem for all. I am going to be taking a 3 week vacation in mid june that involves spending significant time at a resort in Pennsylvania. After much looking we found one that has a sporting clays school (since I have fired at clays exactly 2x in my life, I am a rank beginner and will rent my shotgun from them. But they also have a decent AP/AR range, and I’m told I can bring my own guns and that they will clear the kids out for an hour or two a day so I can shoot. No AP or AR instruction.

Sounds nice. Now, how do I get the guns there? They will all be kept in locked cases kept inside the locked trunk of the car, and the tanks will not be attached to the actions. I expect to travel through or clip the corners of VIRGINIA (should be no problem), of MARYLAND (don’t know), DELAWARE, NEW JERSEY, PENNSYLVANIA and conceivably NEW YORK. What law enforcement offices should I notify/register/file for a permit with? One set of full tanks will take care of the CO2 guns; I will probably bring my SCUBA tank for the pistol. So is there an approved way to carry the gas tanks?

Thanks all in advance for your help!

pz
sbrmike

travel

Post by sbrmike »

No issues in PA except many communities have restrictions (local ordinances banning)on airguns. Many towns you or a child may not walk down the sidewalk carrying an uncased airgun; and you can only shoot on private property. Too many windows and streetlights have been damaged in the past. People just use reasonable care with their tanks. I have never heard of any requirements and I am a coach of a shooting team.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Shut up and drive!
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

Ask the facility people if they have air and CO2. I'd be surprised if they do t provide it.
peterz

Post by peterz »

Ask the facility people...
Already did; they don't. The airgun range is a bit of an afterthought, mainly for entertaining children who can't shoot the shotguns (or whose parents won't let them). But it's supposedly a full 10m range, and adults are welcome, if rare. The range only provides a few Stoeger springers.

It's lots easier to find places that have sporting clay facilities than have any other firearm or air gun ranges! At least on the East Coast.
kbookmyer

air tanks

Post by kbookmyer »

The only issue I can imagine in taking air tanks and air guns might possibly be if you need to go through one of the tunnels like in Baltimore on the way to PA. You might ask a scuba tank fill station they should know what transportation class is assigned to compressed air tanks.
You'd be very very unlikely to be stopped and inspected and even less likely to cause a problem but routing around the tunnel wouldn't be very hard either.
Doc226

Dive Shops

Post by Doc226 »

Look around for a dive shop, they will usually fill your CA for a few bucks. This is easier than lugging around a scuba tank.
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

My recollection is that an airgun is deemed a "gun" in NJ. You must have a NJ FOID card, etc. NJ is also one of the places that has a history of ignoring federal FOPA, which would not protect you anyway as it applies only to firearms and not whatever airguns you are bringing. Best to just stay out of NJ.