Perfect Single Shot Development ™

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Russ,
I think that, as has been mentioned before, your first priority will be to get several shooters of a fairly high standard interested in your approach to coaching.
You have to earn your reputation as a coach, it is not a commodity that can be easily bought or sold.
You will then have to be prepared to invest a considerable amount of time with each of the shooters, firstly to appreciate the standard and style of shooting that they are curently at and secondly to build up a good rapport and mutual trust.
This is definitely not going to happen in one or two eight hour sessions.
Most of us who are involved in coaching in the UK, at all levels have learnt to accept this from day one.
There is no "one size fits all" solution in coaching, as most shooters will have a different perspective on how to achieve their goals and ambitions and may well be more or less receptive to different coaching techniques. The coaching plan has to be tailored to suit the indivual.
Good luck with your venture.
We look forward to seeing a report on your proteges successes.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Considering that it has already been stated in this thread by people who presumably know what they're talking about, that there are only a small handful of AP shooters in the USA capable of regularly shooting at 575 or above, might I suggest a little less pessimism if there is even a moderate possibility that Russ' coaching might improve on that number? I don't know his coaching style nor his methods, and never will most likely considering the vast distance between us on the globe. But it does seem from the various testimonials that he offers something rather useful. I have had some email conversation with one of his students, and have been told that Russ definitely changed things for the better in this case, the shooter going on to win several state level competitions so far.

As with some others here, I have fallen into attacking his manner of communication in the forum. From what I see lately, Russ has taken these problems into consideration and has rather impressively curtailed the more obnoxious aspects of his manner(s). I regret at least some of my earlier harshness towards the man, as that was likely unwarranted, mere language difficulty between us. A few other things about his communication style still bother me, but to each his own, I can live with a bit of colour. I suggest that others here of whatever level of education or accomplishment consider finding a similar sort of balance, and that we try to continue our forum conversations in a manner more befitting to a refined sport such as AP. If this were a Glock forum or something I could understand a redneck style, testosterone-driven sort of raging.

But here Russ has asked for suggestions regarding a sensible business model. He has not asked for a critique of his abilities as a coach. His students, past, present, and future will be the best judges of that. If he decides sometime to slip back into his more braggart-ish mode, well, it's up to every individual member as to whether they want to call him on it.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

A good topic for the shooters lounge, a larger pool of opinions.
Russ

Post by Russ »

This is definitely not going to happen in one or two eight hour sessions.

Sorry John Marchant, it happend! :)
PM Sent

What seems as a surprise to many, was not a surprise to me and just a was routine to someone who has accomplished it.

Guess why it happened?
The standard way of thinking is not ready to accept it as a possible fact. I and my student did not use:
1. a standard way of procedures, and
2. we did not think about this fact at all

This is why I more inclined to work with someone who is able to think outside the box. ;)
Last edited by Russ on Fri May 13, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Russ

Let’s talk about my initial topic.

Post by Russ »

Thank you Gerard.
This topic is not about my personal style. I can only say, it is more consulting than coaching. No one can measure what I’m doing. It does not belong to my Russian heritage in Olympic style target shooting, not to my NRA certification, and not to other things that I used to speed up the whole process. I do not have special guidelines with each individual. But I can guarantee that if you will go over my two day seminar, your performance will never be the same!
it does seem from the various testimonials that he offers something rather useful
It is very important to understand what value someone is looking for from coaching or consulting. Are those testimonials resonating with your inner self? What kind of assistance is someone looking for?
I have my own style, and this is not the one and only solution for all problems as well.

Let’s talk about my initial topic.
Last edited by Russ on Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Russ
Will what you offer for AP apply to precision shooting with other pistols? Like Slowfire using a Hammerli 208s.
Russ

If fundamentals still the same

Post by Russ »

If the fundamentals are still the same, you can apply the same methods to any slow fire process.
Before the class: confusion of everything is what you read, do, and become unhappy with your current score performance.

After this class you must have:
A deep understanding of the process: “The Perfect Single Shot Development™ ”, the ability to perform conscious control of the most important elements, and happiness with confidence of control toward your future of unlimited possibilities. ;)

If this goal will be achieved, we must be both happy!
Last edited by Russ on Sat May 14, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Russ, what sort of improvement do you think you could produce from shooters scoring 530? I think there is a bigger market at that level.

Also, you might want to consider taking your coaching on the road. There are significant pockets of shooters who wolud be interested, but traveling to your facility would be very costly. It is cheaper for you to come to them.
Russ

From level 530 I think after my class 565-570 in three month

Post by Russ »

From level 530, I believe after my class, 565-570 in three months is reality! It was done already last year. We must have 30 to 50 people at USAS national to perform at this level, but not only few.

I need to know more about your word "improvement".
Desired date to start your improvement?
Desired level of performance?
Expected funds (time, money, efforts, etc.) to invest in consulting?
Expected time to make changes in improvement?
There are significant pockets of shooters who would be interested, but traveling to your facility would be very costly
Where is this beautiful place? ;)
Last edited by Russ on Fri May 13, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Charles Darwin about competitive environment.

Post by Russ »

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." :)
Charles Darwin about competitive environment.
Doc226

Video

Post by Doc226 »

Russ, I think the thing to do is to make a video and get people hooked on your method, then and only then would people be willing to travel and pay good money to get the rest of the wisdom.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Yes, this is one of the few good ideas in my head, thank you. Are there any new thoughts or topics for the video? ;)

Here is the small issue in your statement; rather thinking about: “to pay someone good money”...
I will start thinking about how to get what I need. Who can provide a valuable solution to my related issue?
If this does not fit my financial plan, go and check other available options. If someone can do this cheap, let us know and we will buy it too, if anything good comes with this attracive price. ;)

This is my personal vision; please correct me if I do not understand something. It can be a cultural difference. ;)
Last edited by Russ on Fri May 13, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russ

How to Price a Service: "good money" vs reasonable

Post by Russ »

How to Price a Service

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwQP1ChY ... dded#at=23

One more question I have to ask about "good money" vs reasonable price.
Good money is an emotional value; a reasonable price is a more important thing to know.
Ed King is my business mentor; I'm in his class at the present time.
I choose my mentor because I like his ideas and I do not care about the price.
If you choose your mentor in Olympic style target shooting by price , there can be some related issues: why can't someone score 570 in AP for the last 5 years?

I like his attitude about pricing:))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTd48Jr0 ... r_embedded

Do you have a mentor in Olympic style target shooting?
Doc226

Good money

Post by Doc226 »

Russ I think we mean the same things with "good money". I am referring to people not having any problem paying lots of money "good money" for a proven commodity. Front Sight, Blackwater (now us training) both come to mind.
http://www.ustraining.com/new/courses/N ... stol-I.asp

I personally don't have a problem paying "good money" for something I KNOW will improve my skills.

I, however, would be very skeptical if I had any doubts the coach, training, or equipment can deliver.

This is where the video would come in. I would want to see something there that improves some aspect of my shooting and then I would want to get the rest from you personally.

It would be like he movie previews-they make you want to go watch the rest of the movie.
[/b]
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thank you Doc.
This is good food for my brain. I really like it. ;)
I will be happy to hear more ideas for different video topics.
Thank you.
Russ

How to make good video from it?

Post by Russ »

would be very skeptical if I had any doubts the coach, training, or equipment can deliver.
Thank you Doc for sharing this.
I never thought it can be important for the decision making process. How to choose someone's service?
Students who chose my consulting service and reported an elevation in their performance during a short period of time told me that the pivotal point for them was when they wrote a letter or e-mail to me for the first time as a cause from viewing my articles from my website.

The funny thing is, I spent 95% of the time with my last student just talking; we can do it in any coffee shop.
Equipment: his own IZH-46M. I just checked his grip.
He did about 10 to 15 shots during our session (15 minutes total).

After the session:
It was enough for him to jump in his performance 20 to 25 points up in a few months.
This is what I basically did. This is what I will do if someone’s score at the present moment is 530-540, and he or she is not afraid to perform at next level of 565-570 (365-370).
How to make a good video from it, I have no clue. :( Any ideas?
Last edited by Russ on Fri May 13, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Russ

The Perfect Single Shot Development™

Post by Russ »

paying "good money" for something I KNOW will improve my skills.
Can we qualify improvement as 20 conservative points in three months from a starting point of 540?
I know if a person does not have a particular health limitation, he or she is capable to perform 565-570 (365-370) without any problems. My job is to recognize those related problems. In most cases, there are more than 3 issues and I have to create a solution to eliminate those blockages. The way how I do it is more for a professional related discussion. Is my asking price high or low? I do not know as far as my client gets what he or she came for.
If someone has better records please share.

One more important point is: You have to ask yourself: what is more important to you to talk about higher performance or really perform on desired level? If higher performance has more value to you, it is the time to take action, by asking right questions from someone who actually did it. Follow their steps and "relies your foot from the brake pedal".

Consulting, this is what I’m doing today. My goal is to identify and solve problems and provide tools for successful performance!
Doc226

Post by Doc226 »

Russ wrote:I will be happy to hear more ideas for different video topics.
Thank you.
I would make it like a how to golf video. You need to cover all the areas in a very basic manner. To use the golf analogy. Need to discuss mental aspects, grip, stance, shot, follow through and after shot.

Of course the video should be basic but informative to most. You can't and should not cover everything that way people who want more can contact you and go to the next step.

I used to golf alot and read many books and watched many videos on the subject. Eventually I reached a plauteu that prompted me to hire a pro to help me sort out. This is the same principle you should strive for.

Good luck.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thank you Doc. Yes it is a lot of basic ideas between fundamentals, I have to take a look on how is golf industry advertise. I think it will be good project for this summer.
Russ

What do we know? What do we not know yet?

Post by Russ »

What do we know?
What we do not know yet?
We only can measure something unknown simply through our own perception.
If someone’s perception is telling him that the international level in Olympic style pistol can not be achieved in one year, there is nothing for me to teach. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=HS ... kA&feature