changing from iso stance to one handed for bullseye

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

ariaslives

changing from iso stance to one handed for bullseye

Post by ariaslives »

When I first learned to shoot about 8 years ago, I was taught by action shooters who use only the isosceles stance so this has been my stance of choice. I used to shoot action, 3 gun, but I want to focus on my bullseye performance...not to compete, but just to be better for myself.

Is the duelist style more accurate or steady for bullseye? I know you get a better sight picture but I feel like my arm is not as steady as when I use 2 hands. Is the duelist stance better over time and with training or are these all relative to the shooter?

Is there an exercise or technique that I can use to help me steady my shooting arm?

Forgot to mention that I'm shooting a Les Baer 45, 1911 and a Clark modified colt 1911 in 45 caliber.

Thanks in advance!
Rover

Post by Rover »

The "duellist" postion is the ONLY one for Bullseye. You MUST use one hand. Probably not as steady as two hands.

To work on your position (and stregthen yourself) you'll have to do a lot of dry firing. Recovery from recoil is critical.

I personally recommend you take up Olympic Air Pistol for practice and as a sport in its own right.

I'm sure there are others who will send some info your way.
Chris_D

Post by Chris_D »

One handed shooting is much different than two handed, however, there are many fundamentals that are shared across ALL shooting sports.

To work on one-handed shooting and stance I have a couple of suggestions. Don't know if it works yet but this is what I am trying...

Train yourself to find your natural body angle to the target. Before shooting, hold the gun up in the general area pointing down range, close your eyes, aim the gun where you think the target is, then adjust your feet angle (move rear foot to rotate body) so that you are aligned with the target.

Supporting the gun requires a lot of muscles to work together. I am taking a 5 pound weight (can get at wallmart or target) and I hold it out like I am shooting for as long as I can. I then rest my arm and repeat. Your guns probably weigh less than 3 pounds, so the 5 pound training should really develop the muscles. A modified version of this is to do this in the car while driving.

I have a 40 minute commute to work each day so I try to use that time productivly. I alternate two activities:
A squeeze grip ( a rubber ball works fine) or the actual excersize tool is used as much as I can to strengthen the forearms.
A 5 pound dumbell held out as if holding a gun. The added benefit to doing this while driving is that the arm automatically tries to hold the weight stationary while you are moving in the car. This causes the arm muscles to work even harder than with just a standing hold. To further enhance this, I also hold the dumbell as if it were a gun, then I make my trigger finger go through the motions of pulling the trigger. This helps to train your trigger finger to work independantly of your other fingers.

The downside to doing the 5 pound dumbell in the car is that it also can hurt your back so watch out for strain. Another thing to watch for is that you don't want to point the dumbell at another person - someone will see this and interpret it as some sort of offensive action and freakout, probably calling the police etc.

I used to shoot bullseye 25 years ago and just restarted shooting. The first day on the range is was easy for me to identify my phyiscal weakness and this is the routine I have come up with to help me get back in the game. I suspect it helps, my first tournament (4 weeks are starting training), I took 1st place with 45 in sharpshooter class.

Chris
Misny

Post by Misny »

One-handed shooting is less stable than two hand shooting. It will cause your two-handed groups to shrink if you put some time in, but not the other way around. Some "action" shooters shoot local bullseye matches once in a while to get back to the basics. To better your marksmanship fundamentals, one-handed bullseye shooting will help, especially in the trigger control area. Bullseye shooting won't help your speed, however. If you just want to improve your overall gun handling, then I'd suggest you shoot one-handed with each hand until you are proficient. Of course you need to practice your draw, clearing and reloading techniques as well, all the while adhering to strict safety practices.
ariaslives

thanks for the insight

Post by ariaslives »

I appreciate all the comments, but I am still confused. If 2 handed shooting is steadier than one, wouldnt 2 handed be better for bullseye?
philip_T

Peruse pilkguns.

Post by philip_T »

ALL the info you need is at pilkguns. Two handed is more accurate,
but that's not the bullseys game. Like silhouette- different rules.
Pilkguns has enough info to keep you reading for weeks.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think we have a little semantics or "definition" problem here.

Bullseye shooting is a specific competitive pistol sport with definite rules.

Shooting at a bullseye target is fancy plinking. If that is your goal you can shoot any way you want.
ariaslives

problem addressed, ty

Post by ariaslives »

Ah, I see that that was the issue...I was saying bullseye but not meaning competition bullseye. In general, the iso stance with 2 hands shoots more accurately for me so I guess I know the answer. TY
bachekermooni

Post by bachekermooni »

Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

I think you have two excellent bullseye guns. Obviously one-handed shooting is less stable than a two handed isoseles position. The one thing that the 1911 platform can do best, is that once you have built your position and are holding the gun correctly, the 1911 can be recontoured to get your trigger finger and grip in perfect alignment. The web of the hand is placed directly behind the grip safety if it is a beavertail. The old army safetys require you to roll up the web of your hand underneath your grip to prevent hammer bite. The slide of the gun should be a perfect extension straight through your forearm to the elbow. The grip should be as high as you can get it on the grip safety so as to be closer to the axis of the bore without compromizing your grip. Now you have to build the gun so that your trigger finger sweet spot touches the trigger at 90* to the axis of the bore. No where else should your trigger finger touch the gun. The trigger pull should be straight back towards your nose. This is done by changing out short, mediun and long triggers, thinner or thicker grip panels and straight or curved mainspring housings. You build the gun to your hand specs where your grip fits perfectly. Good luck and good shooting
Chris