CCI Std. 0035

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Gort

CCI Std. 0035

Post by Gort »

Anyone else having trouble with recent lots of CCI Std. vel. 0035 having so much wax on the bullets that they are even gumming up the magazines. I can't get 100 rds. out of clean magazines before the followers start sticking. Previous lot of this were fine. Morini CM22rf and Pardini SP New both are caking with wax, Fed 711b and SK Std+ are running fine.
Gort
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Yes
I am wiping each round with a bit of towelling before use
mr alexander

Waxy CCI SV .22 Ammo

Post by mr alexander »

Gort

RE: Your April 13, 2011 post about excess lube on rounds. I have been using CCI #0032/#0035 for decades without any issues.....until now!! I just bought a case of #0035 and am having difficulty just trying to get the cartridges out of the box due to the fact that each bullet has a large "lump" of hard wax on it. The rounds will not even fall out of the box from their own weight as they did in the past. I have to forcefully pull them out 1 by 1. As I do this, I can feel the wax being scraped off of the bullet as it comes out of the ammo tray. Last Monday during league, I ran out of ammo and had to make a quick purchase at the gunshop/range I was at. I bought a box of CCI #0032 which comes in a 100-round plastic pack. I tipped the box upside down in an attempt to get 30 rounds out; only 2 fell into my hand. The rest were "glued" into place, so I borrowed a box from a friend. I called CCI about this and was asked to return the rounds to them via UPS. I will let you know what they have to say for themselves. You and I are not the only ones with this problem; many other CCI users in my league are experiencing the same thing. If you haven't done so yet, please call CCI to complain at 1-800-627-3640. Maybe if enough of us do this , something will change!
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I have a case of 0035 that I bought at Camp Perry this year. There have been no problems with it. I sometimes wonder if the lots that have issues are the ones that have been exposed to high temperatures during shipping. K
Gort

Post by Gort »

From what I have been able to find out, CCI SV wax is applied by suspending the rounds in a pool of hot wax momentarily. Wax thickness is controlled by wax temperature, the hotter the wax, the thinner the coat. Also ambient air temperature in the plant will affect wax thickness. If it is cold it will harden the wax before excess can drip off. In short it is a Quality issue in that CCI is not controlling their process. I have gone to Fed 711B.
Gort
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Gort wrote:From what I have been able to find out, CCI SV wax is applied by suspending the rounds in a pool of hot wax momentarily. Wax thickness is controlled by wax temperature, the hotter the wax, the thinner the coat. Also ambient air temperature in the plant will affect wax thickness. If it is cold it will harden the wax before excess can drip off. In short it is a Quality issue in that CCI is not controlling their process. I have gone to Fed 711B.
Gort
I thnk it would be a great thing if CCI changed their lube to something softer and less waxy. like what Lapua uses, however, if it would raise the price significantly, I am not sure that would be a good solution either. If they get enough complaints maybe that will spur them to action, because in my opinion, CCI is the best ammo for the money out there.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

My Pardini SP always hiccuped with CCI SV ammo but it ran fine in my Walther GSP and GSP Expert.
Clintw

CCI 0035

Post by Clintw »

CCI 0035 picked up from various Dick's Sporting Goods for $24.99/500 hasn't given me any noticable wax problems in either my S&W41 or IZH35m. I'm pleased with the ammo performance and price.

Clint
crankythunder

Dear Gort

Post by crankythunder »

I also have run into recent problems with CCI SV although I have not narrowed it down to the lubrication. What is happening is a failure to feed where the next bullet will not rise up to be picked up by the bolt in my IZH 35m. It may be due to the lube or it could be something else, I did not spend that much time trying to figure it out. What I did do is I went and purchased Eley Sport which eliminated my problems. Not that much more expensive and the accuracy is just a touch better.

Cranky is a happy bullseye shooter!

Regards,
Cranks
mr alexander

CCI Std 0035

Post by mr alexander »

Several weeks ago, I shipped a 100 round plastic box of CCI #0032 back to the factory due to the fact that the rounds had excess wax on them. Recently, I received 300 rounds of replacement ammo. No note was included, so I called customer service about this "lube issue". Here's what I was told: During the packaging process, 100 live rounds are placed bullet nose down into the ammo tray that CCI calls a "holy". (This "holy" is the flat plastic plate that has the 100 holes in it; a "holy", get it?). Anyway, the loaded "holy" is lowered into a vat of molten wax lube. It is then raised up, and travels over something called a "heat strip". This device is supposed to allow any excess wax lube to drip off. Next, the loaded "holy" is placed into the plastic box, the sliding top cover is installed and a sealing label is attached. The temperature inside the factory is not maintained at a constant level, it does fluctuate a bit. If it happens to be on the cool side, the "heat strip's" performance is affected so that excess wax lube can dry on the bullets after the ammo has been boxed. This is a quality control issue on CCI's part. What to do? If you really prefer their product, you'll have to inspect each round prior to heading to the range!
jr_roosa

Post by jr_roosa »

It has always been too waxy for my gun. I use 711b instead.

J.
xeye

Re: CCI Std. 0035

Post by xeye »

Gort wrote:Anyone else having trouble with recent lots of CCI Std. vel. 0035 having so much wax on the bullets that they are even gumming up the magazines. I can't get 100 rds. out of clean magazines before the followers start sticking. Previous lot of this were fine. Morini CM22rf and Pardini SP New both are caking with wax, Fed 711b and SK Std+ are running fine.
Gort
Yeah. It comes and goes. This year seems a little bad.

One time I got a case with so much wax on it you couldn't drop a bullet into a freshly cleaned chamber. Had to return that one.

I am familiar with the explanations above re mfr ing process. However, what I do not understand is...why it always seems to be the out side edge of the "holy" that has bullets that wont drop out freely.

I wish CCI would change to whatever lube Wolf uses; that would be awesome.