air pistol compensators

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ronpistolero

air pistol compensators

Post by ronpistolero »

I know many people would say that this is not a useful add on to the air pistol. In any case, I would like to address this to those who believe it is helpful.
I noticed that the compensator for the Steyr LP 10 with a mechanical trigger is different from the one that comes with the electronic trigger. Apart from the obvious theory of deflection of the blast from behind the pellet, what makes the "8-duct compensator" more effective? I'd really appreciate any sharing of a close up pictures of this. I also noticed that the Walther LP400's has 10 ducts.

Ron
peterz

Post by peterz »

The idea of a good compensator sounds reasonable. At least I think that the one on my mechanical LP-10 works, but of course that's probably a placebo effect since I'm not good enough to know and don't know how to take it off and replace it with just a "plug" for a valid test.

That said, I would bet that the several different designs that one sees from different manufacturers don't differ among themselves in performance by very much. I imagine that the additional holes (nozzles) don't improve performance above that of a reasonably designed 4-jet unit. This is not based on tests but on general knowledge of engineering and engineering-for-advertising.

The new 10 (?) nozzle arrangement on some Steyr guns is maybe supposed to prepare a tunnel of smooth, lower density, air for the pellet to glide in. All OK until the tunnel funs out of density and the pell out of altitude as gravity pulls it through the boundary layer.

--pz
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

peterz wrote:The idea of a good compensator sounds reasonable. At least I think that the one on my mechanical LP-10 works, but of course that's probably a placebo effect since I'm not good enough to know and don't know how to take it off and replace it with just a "plug" for a valid test. <snip>--pz
There's a small grub screw behing the foresight that holds it in. I had my old mechanical style compensator swapped for the new one. Can't tell you if it makes any difference, but it looks nicer ;)

Rob.
ronpistolero

air pistol compensators

Post by ronpistolero »

Thanks for the replies. I too believe that this gadget works to improve accuracy and handling, albeit minimally. I did a compensator of sorts for my FWB C-20 in the early 1990's, the muzzle of which was 4.56mm dia that the nose of a pellet would go through this but not the skirt (when inserted for demo of the precision machining done on it). It was explained to me that the pellet seals this and therefore drives the gases upwards counteracting the muzzle jump. But the design of the Steyr blowing out the gases forward and away from the main stream/direction seems logical but not helpful in lessening the already mild kick.

Rob, I'd appreciate it if you could send me some close up pictures of this new compensator front and rear view, if you can find the time.

Thanks again.
David M

Post by David M »

A lot of work was done nearly 20 yrs ago on air pistol compensators/ gas deflectors with many different styles and types used in the testing.
End result, there is not enough air/co2 coming out of a air pistol barrel to make any difference what so ever to the shot group in a machine rest.
The only thing they did was a slight change in feel to the pistol, with some being easier to read the shot feedback than others.
They make great marketing ideas, so buy a new one and try it.
RobStubbs

Re: air pistol compensators

Post by RobStubbs »

ronpistolero wrote:
Rob, I'd appreciate it if you could send me some close up pictures of this new compensator front and rear view, if you can find the time.

Thanks again.
Sorry Ron it's screwed into the gun !

But if I remember correctly the bit inside the gun is very similar to the old one. The new one can be seen on the Steyr website here;

http://host17.ssl-net.net/steyr-sportwa ... P10E_g.jpg

Rob.
J.Hoes

Post by J.Hoes »

On their website Steyr released a serie of service video's.
http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/movies/index.html

The video how to mount the new compensator can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/STEYRSportw ... J1kvZIVywE

Greetings Hans.
ronpistolero

compensators

Post by ronpistolero »

Thanks again for the replies.

One more thing. Whenever I cock my LP10, more than half the time it produces a "knurling" sound as the bolt slides towards the rear. Imagine a piece of plastic that runs through a cylinder with small machined lines produced by a lathe while sizing the cylinder. All the other LP10s here don't make that sound. How do I fix that?

Ron
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Not sure how to fix it other than by taking the pistol to bits to check for scuffing or wear.
The very careful application of a very small amount of silicon oil to the surface of the bolt might help.
The "small" amount is very important.
Failing that, invest in a better pair of ear defenders, then you wont hear the "knurling".
ronpistolero

Post by ronpistolero »

Thanks John.

The knurling sound cum feeling seems to come from below the bolt. I tried to disassemble it but I stopped at trying to remove the screw of the cocking lever. It seemed to have some loctite used on it that it just doesnt want to turn. Unless it's reverse threaded.

Regards,

Ron