Rear sight height problem. HELP!

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

10mair

Rear sight height problem. HELP!

Post by 10mair »

I am using FWB 700 wood model with 23 mm elevated rear sight and 21 mm elevated front sight. My problem is, it is really difficult for me to relax my shoulder and neck because the rear sight height is still too low. I have to force myself to lower head when I am aiming. I tried elevate the rear sight height more but once I do, I must elevate the front sight height as well. This results in the elevated line of sight, which means I have to change my entire position to get the bull's eye on my aiming line.

I have also tried to elevate the rear sight more while leaving the front sight lowered, for example, 31mm for the rear and 19mm for the front. This does not work at all because the FWB rear sight crank covers only 2 mm difference.

I really want to know how I can fix this problem. If there's any good way to do so, please tell me. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
55.jpg
55.jpg (10.06 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Can you position the butt of the rifle higher on your shoulder, effectively raising the entire rifle to be closer to your eye?
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

First off, the line of sight through the sights will only change when you change the FRONT SIGHT height. If you leave the front sight alone and add/subtract 2mm on the rear sight, you will just end up clicking the rear sight up/down 2mm.

Also, adding risers should not change where the rifle is pointing, at least not too significantly.

The first option for a more upright head position would be to lower the butt plate. Next I would add riser blocks to your sights.

If neither of those worked, the last two options are a bit more intrusive and significant. I'd change your hand position to get a little more height out of the whole rifle. Lastly, I'd say change your elbow placement to higher on your rib cage. Again, these last two are last resorts.

Some questions for you:

- How tall are you/what is your build? Long/short torso? neck? arms?
- Are you putting your elbow on your rib cage or trying to put it on your hip?
- What is your support hand position?
- Pictures of your position could help too.
10mair

Post by 10mair »

Soupy44 wrote:First off, the line of sight through the sights will only change when you change the FRONT SIGHT height. If you leave the front sight alone and add/subtract 2mm on the rear sight, you will just end up clicking the rear sight up/down 2mm.

Also, adding risers should not change where the rifle is pointing, at least not too significantly.

The first option for a more upright head position would be to lower the butt plate. Next I would add riser blocks to your sights.

If neither of those worked, the last two options are a bit more intrusive and significant. I'd change your hand position to get a little more height out of the whole rifle. Lastly, I'd say change your elbow placement to higher on your rib cage. Again, these last two are last resorts.

Some questions for you:

- How tall are you/what is your build? Long/short torso? neck? arms?
- Are you putting your elbow on your rib cage or trying to put it on your hip?
- What is your support hand position?
- Pictures of your position could help too.
Thanks a lot for your answer, but I don't really understand.
Simply speaking, what I actually need is, make the rear sight more elevated while lowering the front sight. Then I can have a upright head position without changing my entire position including buttplate, left arm, feet, waist...etc.

However, this is impossible because in order to do so, I must have some rear sight that can click 10mm or 20 mm lower. The FWB rear sight has only 2 mm adjustibility.

The answers for your questions:
-178cm (5' 9''~10'') / just a balanced torso (not long not short), normal sized arms, long neck.
-Rib cage
-open palm with fingers pointing body
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

If you do that with the sights, your pellets will impact high.

Think of it this way, clamp the rifle, without sights, so it cannot move. The rifle will only shoot in one spot. Now add a front sight. The rifle is still shooting in the same spot. You can look through the front sight at many different angles, but only one specific line of sight puts the spot the rifle is shooting in the center of the front sight.

That line of sight will pass directly through the rear iris. And that goes for anything you do it the sights. Otherwise, you'd need to hold off to make the shots go in the center.

Now back up to a clamped rifle with a front sight. Add a 10mm riser to the front sight. That would raise the line of sight to aim where the rifle is shooting 10mm at the front sight. For the sake of simplicity, lets say this raises the line of sight at the rear sight by 10mm as well (not the case in real life where it would be slightly more than 10mm). That means the rear iris would need to be 10mm higher than our first setup. Should you not use a 10mm riser in the back, then to center your sights and shots, you would end up clicking up until the rear iris moves up those 10mm.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Be careful to stay within the dimensions of ISSF rules 7.4.2.6 & 7.4.2.7
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

10mair wrote:However, this is impossible because in order to do so, I must have some rear sight that can click 10mm or 20 mm lower. The FWB rear sight has only 2 mm adjustibility.
This might seem like a stupid question but as a pistol shooter I don't get to play with rifle sights too often.

If you raise the rear sight by 20mm but then want to adjust it down by 20mm, don't you end up with the eye positioned in the same place as if you hadn't raised the sight to start with?
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Correct David. The height of the sight line is determined by how high the front sight is.

As for staying within the rules, with only 20mm or riser blocks, 10mair has a good 10mm to play with. On my 2002, I have 28mm of risers and could go higher by 2mm.
10mair

Post by 10mair »

Soupy44 wrote:If you do that with the sights, your pellets will impact high.

Think of it this way, clamp the rifle, without sights, so it cannot move. The rifle will only shoot in one spot. Now add a front sight. The rifle is still shooting in the same spot. You can look through the front sight at many different angles, but only one specific line of sight puts the spot the rifle is shooting in the center of the front sight.

That line of sight will pass directly through the rear iris. And that goes for anything you do it the sights. Otherwise, you'd need to hold off to make the shots go in the center.

Now back up to a clamped rifle with a front sight. Add a 10mm riser to the front sight. That would raise the line of sight to aim where the rifle is shooting 10mm at the front sight. For the sake of simplicity, lets say this raises the line of sight at the rear sight by 10mm as well (not the case in real life where it would be slightly more than 10mm). That means the rear iris would need to be 10mm higher than our first setup. Should you not use a 10mm riser in the back, then to center your sights and shots, you would end up clicking up until the rear iris moves up those 10mm.
I already know all you said above. I do not think you understand what I want to know, or I wasn't clear enough. Thanks anyway.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

10mair wrote:I already know all you said above. I do not think you understand what I want to know, or I wasn't clear enough. Thanks anyway.
I think the problem is that you seem to want to raise the rear sight only but still have the same sight line as if you hadn't raised it. The only way I can think of doing that is by using mirrors or prisms, but they're not allowed under ISSF rules unless you're using right shoulder and left eye (or vice versa).
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

My daughter a relatively inexperienced shooter is having the same problem but with a FWB 70P. Where can I get a more adjustable butt plate? Thanks, james
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

The P70 buttplate already has all the vertical adjustment allowed by the rules. If she has a long neck, a set of riser blocks 9for both front and rear sights) can help raise the sights enough to help her see through the sights with a more upright head position. Be sure to stay within the rules for sight height referred to above.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

I measured and your right!!! Not that I doubted you, but I would never have guessed it was 22 cm. Thanks, james